Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 2:24:06 PM EDT
I have been out of the loop since my beeman and crossman days, shooting the hell out of tweety birds i mean starlings.
My pro gun co worker is telling me about his supersonic gamo hunter extreme he just picked up, holy crap that is scary as sin 1600fps....I shack and awe about that.
I did some reading and seems like there is a hunting varmit fan club with these people taking yotes and hogs with .177 pellets.... anyone here have any feedback or exp with them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of the .22 air guns are shooting extremely light skirted pellets, not bullets. I'm talking like .15 grains or so, not the .36 to 40 grains of a .22 bullet.
I seriously doubt anyone is reliably taking coyotes or hogs with a light .177 pellet.

Apparently, there are air guns that are shooting .45 and larger bullets and are being okayed for deer hunting in some areas.
I'm supposed to be checking up on this for a friend, but I haven't had time to look yet.
These higher power air guns are using large gas cylinders, not springs or the small Co2 cartridges.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:16:16 PM EDT
[#2]
"Lewis's air gun was a remarkable property of the expedition. Widespread agreement is that it was a Girandoni-style air rifle, originally designed and built in Europe for the Austrian army. The Girandoni was .46 caliber, had a magazine for 20 shots, and was a repeater. Lewis used it to impress Indians in council. It was smokeless, and could fire 20 shots in one minute. The Indians wereimpressed. The air gun was the most unusual piece of equipment on the expedition. Air guns of that period and caliber are not silent and make a very loud crack."

From the internet.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
"Lewis's air gun was a remarkable property of the expedition. Widespread agreement is that it was a Girandoni-style air rifle, originally designed and built in Europe for the Austrian army. The Girandoni was .46 caliber, had a magazine for 20 shots, and was a repeater. Lewis used it to impress Indians in council. It was smokeless, and could fire 20 shots in one minute. The Indians wereimpressed. The air gun was the most unusual piece of equipment on the expedition. Air guns of that period and caliber are not silent and make a very loud crack."

From the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_Air_Rifle
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#4]
check out gamousa, scary stuff but cool just the same I was also checking out some shinguh s. korean .50 and 9mm air rifles wondering wtf.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:32:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most of the .22 air guns are shooting extremely light skirted pellets, not bullets. I'm talking like .15 grains or so, not the .36 to 40 grains of a .22 bullet.
I seriously doubt anyone is reliably taking coyotes or hogs with a light .177 pellet.

Apparently, there are air guns that are shooting .45 and larger bullets and are being okayed for deer hunting in some areas.
I'm supposed to be checking up on this for a friend, but I haven't had time to look yet.
These higher power air guns are using large gas cylinders, not springs or the small Co2 cartridges.

Check out bigboreairguns.com and look up bigboreairguns on youtube.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:11:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I was checking the bigbore stuff out last night, was pretty impressed to say the least.
I think a 10J22 with tricked out with can and optic or an ar with kit and can run about the same price with better preformance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:39:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are videos of the gamo guys shooting hogs in the head at about 20 yards with the hunter extreme and PBA alloy .177 pellets and dropping them in their tracks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:29:14 PM EDT
[#8]
air guns are firearms.

These aren't the little toys that you played with when you are a kid.

Some preppers have them for SHTF.  RWS makes good ones too, and will last generations.  (german made),  I am eyeing one for small game.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:06:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top