Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2010 5:51:21 PM EDT
Do you keep them all loaded  even they just sit inside the safe or rotate loading them every so often?
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I keep them loaded all of the time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#2]

The consensus here (including some fairly impressive engineer-speak) is that springs weaken by compression and then expansion, not by sitting at compression.  In other words, a magazine spring will be in far better shape if you load it and sit in your Fo Locker for the next twenty years rather than loading and unloading every month.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to replace a spring in a 1903 colt that had been loaed for 40+ years, it took a set and would not expand, so I rotate all those that don't chrome silicon springs aka Wolff
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Given how mag prices have fallen and ammo prices have gone up, I couldn't load all of my magazines if I wanted to.

I have read that keeping them loaded is not a problem, but that cycling them is.  So rotating mags is a bad idea if this is true.

I have kept magazines loaded for a few year at a time, and they have still funcitoned fine when fired.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Unloaded.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#6]
All my magazines are loaded unless in the process of being emptied at the range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I load enough for a completely loaded rig.  Anywhere from about 5 to 8, depending on the gun and the vest/belt setup.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top