Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2010 1:23:50 PM EDT
I think I want to get either a M6a2 or a SCAR.  The problem is I want both but can only afford one, so which one?
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an M6A2 and while its been greatI really want a SCAR
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I think you should go for one of these quality rifles.

Karl
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 2:37:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Where the hell is the neither vote in that poll.

Both the SCAR and any product by LWRC are overpriced for what you get. The LWRC piston system is an outdated system that's still not removable without taking apart the handguard after all these years and various other system coming out that are directly from the block. It's not anymore reliable than an Adams system which is too.

While the SCAR is a nice rifle it's not worth what their asking especially when you're talking a rifle with very limited parts support and options compared to an AR, that runs no cleaner or better than a good piston AR and offers no control, performance or adjustment options that you can't have with a piston AR than a semi adjustable cheekpiece and a more forward charging handle. Save a lot of money and put a new Adams Arms upper on a Mega lower with whatever extra controls and furniture upgrades you want and then spend what you saved on ammo or optics. That's my 2 cents anyways.

Adams Arms -Samson railed upper, pinned block at Rainier $949

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think you should go for one of these quality rifles.

Karl

I cant believe they are still in buisness.

Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:42:04 PM EDT
[#5]
i voted for the scar
Link Posted: 7/11/2010 6:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
LW all day

Link Posted: 7/12/2010 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think I want to get either a M6a2 or a SCAR.  The problem is I want both but can only afford one, so which one?

SCAR.

If you are getting a piston AR15, get the LMT which at least has SCAR-ish features.

The LWRC doesnt do anything that cant be achieved with any boring old AR15.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 7:22:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a LWRC M6A2 that I quite enjoy just as much as a regular AR15.  I have found the need for a piston in an AR is pointless if you run the gun super wet with Mobil 1.  The lube keeps carbon buildup from happening and keeps everything nice and slick.   Also all guns basically turns into a DI system and runs dirty when you run a Silencer because all the blowback gunk goes back in the bore and not the gas system.

Now where the LWRC shines is this: It is a pretty good deal at $1800.  You get a complete gun wth a nice rail system, vltor stock, mapul pistol grip, troy sites.  The LWRC stock trigger is way better than factory Colt triggers.  Best of all is the LWRC hammer forged nitrided barrels.  You will be amazed how accurate this thing is and how easy it is to clean.  The barrel on the LWRC is way better than what is on the SCAR.  I don't know of any factory gun on the market that as a barrel better than the LWRC.  I will take the LWRC barrel over custom Kreiger, Douglass, and Noveske SS and or CL options.

If you are not into customizing your gun, or do not like options of say different triggers or stocks, then get the SCAR.  But only if it is around $2000.  Even at $2000 you are paying more for an inferior gun that you can't customize.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#9]
If you absolutely have to have a piston gun, the LWRC are pretty damn nice. My buddy has one and I really like it, extremely accurate as well. Only problem is like the guy up above me a couple posts said: they are both kind of overpriced to a certain extent. My friend also has an Adam Arms piston upper and there really isn't much difference in handling characteristics to justify such a large premium in price. If I could honestly drop that kind of coin right now I would go with a KAC SR15. I know it's still good ole DI, but even when Knight's gave Stoner a chance to totally rework his system all he did was beef up the bolt, extractor, and a few other reliability upgrades. The DI system isn't broke, pistons are a cool idea but if the piston craps out it costs alot more than a 12 dollar gas tube. Just my 2 cents, but really either gun will shoot great and be fun. The LWRC does come with alot for the money compared to other guns and the SCAR, well good luck getting parts for it and God forbid you decide to change anything down the road. You can't.

Daniel
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Eh, I like my LWRC, I'm not big on the SCAR, so I'd vote the LWRC, but a SBR. They are sexy.
Link Posted: 7/12/2010 5:54:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Just get the SCAR, so I can shoot it and decide if I want/need one.

Karl
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 6:26:04 AM EDT
[#12]
I got this instead

and am much happier with it.

ETA 1: I spent $2K for both the rifle and scope w/mount all together.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm not voting in this poll because I don't have firsthand experience with either.  I'm only offering my opinion on what I'd buy based on what I know about both weapons.

If it were my money, I'd buy the SCAR.  I'm fundamentally suspect of piston driven ARs.  The upper receiver in an AR was not designed to handle the off bore axis forces of a gas piston operation, and I suspect in the long run we're going to see more problems created than solved by piston conversions in ARs.

The SCAR, on the other hand, was designed as a piston rifle from the keel out.  If it were my money, that's where it'd go.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I got this instead

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo157/Furyataurus/msar2.jpg

and am much happier with it.

ETA 1: I spent $2K for both the rifle and scope w/mount all together.

That pic causes me to get internet wood every time I see it.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 10:00:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I ordered my LWRC M6A2 in multi regional earth color as a duty rifle almost 3 months ago... I'm still waiting for it...
I can't wait to get it! The wait's killing me!!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I have both.  Buy a SCAR.

The LWRC is a very good 223, IMO the Scar is a great one. My SCAR is more accurate, lighter, has a folding buttstock that is more Ergonomic, it's currently being used by some of our armed forces. The LWRC may be seeing some action but I don't think near as much as the SCAR has.

The LWRC is a good system but it's still proprietary. My calls to their customer service have yet to result in me being able buy spare parts for it. IMO anything that you disassemble when cleaning the rifle is likely to get lost somehow so it's good to have spares. I haven't checked in the last couple months so maybe it's changed now but now being able to buy spare parts for a proprietary system is a big negative against the LWRC.

The SCAR does have a reciprocating bolt handle. It never bothered me on AK's,. PSL's, or Sig 556's but some people will find that they don't like it if they leave their thumbs in the wrong place. I put mine on the same side as it is on my AK's, PSL's and SIGs to maintain the same manual of arms and protect my left thumb.

It's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I don't think that piston systems are that necessary for a semi-auto AR. They probably come into thier own on full auto guns but the extra weight, expense and proprietary parts make it less of a benefit on a Semi-Auto.  I think that DI's may be slightly more accurate though not really enough to matter on an M-4 type.

So in conclusion, neither is a bad choice the LWRC is a good gun with a few drawbacks - price and parts but in my mind the SCAR is a clearly better gun.  I'f I was headed to a gunfight I'd pick the SCAR over all of my other 223's......................................................................DJ
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I voted SCAR but either gun would be great as long as you let me shoot it!   If I was choosing I would buy the SCAR. You would certainly be the center of attention at the next three gun. If you decide to wait and try an LMT I'll let you use mine whenever you like. Good luck brother!
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 6:08:54 PM EDT
[#18]
SCAR.
Link Posted: 7/13/2010 8:04:37 PM EDT
[#19]
SCAR is in both MW2 and Battlefield Bad Company.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]
We've all voted! So whats it gonna be?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have both.  Buy a SCAR.

The LWRC is a very good 223, IMO the Scar is a great one. My SCAR is more accurate, lighter, has a folding buttstock that is more Ergonomic, it's currently being used by some of our armed forces. The LWRC may be seeing some action but I don't think near as much as the SCAR has.

The LWRC is a good system but it's still proprietary. My calls to their customer service have yet to result in me being able buy spare parts for it. IMO anything that you disassemble when cleaning the rifle is likely to get lost somehow so it's good to have spares. I haven't checked in the last couple months so maybe it's changed now but now being able to buy spare parts for a proprietary system is a big negative against the LWRC.

The SCAR does have a reciprocating bolt handle. It never bothered me on AK's,. PSL's, or Sig 556's but some people will find that they don't like it if they leave their thumbs in the wrong place. I put mine on the same side as it is on my AK's, PSL's and SIGs to maintain the same manual of arms and protect my left thumb.

It's just my opinion so take it for what it's worth. I don't think that piston systems are that necessary for a semi-auto AR. They probably come into thier own on full auto guns but the extra weight, expense and proprietary parts make it less of a benefit on a Semi-Auto.  I think that DI's may be slightly more accurate though not really enough to matter on an M-4 type.

So in conclusion, neither is a bad choice the LWRC is a good gun with a few drawbacks - price and parts but in my mind the SCAR is a clearly better gun.  I'f I was headed to a gunfight I'd pick the SCAR over all of my other 223's......................................................................DJ

Doesn't the SCAR have the same drawbacks? Also the LWRC shares many parts in common with the AR15.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#22]
LWRC between those two choices. Your thumbs will thank you and so will your cheek.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:09:00 PM EDT
[#23]
ACR

Link Posted: 7/16/2010 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for the input, I got the SCAR.  The delay was an enhanced ACR arrived today and I wanted to look at it before I made the final decision.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#25]
+1

SCAR and ACR = hype

A good piston driven is as good if not better.
Less bulky and more modular
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:34:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I think you should consider the rifles from LWRC. I admit that I love my FN PS90 and my 5.7x28mm pistols due to their high quality and performance, but the 6.8 SPC LWRC-DMR that I have is flat out above any of my other AR platform rifles, and I own several. I would vote LWRC M6A3 if you had that. Here is a link to pics of my LWRC M6A3 6.8x43mm SPC rifle. The scope on it now is a Leupold Mark IV 3.5-10x40mm LR/T, but I have either a Aimpoint M4s or a T-1 Micro, all with LaRue QD mounts, that I can switch out if needed. LWRC as far as I am concerned is the best quality of workmanship in a type of these rifles. YMMV.

Click here to see my LWRC M6A3 DMR in 6.8 SPC

Edit- Never mind, I see you got your SCAR. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 3:47:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
ACR

Pictures damit!
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:08:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I have 2 scar's [well ok ones my wifes] and 1 of the lwrc's. I also have 2 pof-usa 5.56 and 2 pof-usa 308's .
The SCAR's and the POF's are the only ones that ever seam to make it to the range..
The FN's are some of the most acurate and low recoiling rifles I have.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top