Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2010 7:19:31 PM EDT
Just a question that's been bugging me and my google fue is failing me. Why are all shotgun shells rimmed and not rimless?(aside from "shotshells")
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Because the chamber is deeper than the case length, to allow the crimp fold (or rolled in crimp on slugs) to extend out ward to let the shot (or slug) move forward without being hindered by the plastic case folding out.

Otherwise there would have to be a shoulder in the chamber to prevent the "rimless" shotgun shell you speak of from going too deep into the chamber and out of reach of the firing pin.  Then there would be the pressure spike from the plastic shell of the crimp folding out over that shoulder, and reducing the bore dimensions for the shot or slug to pass through to get into the barrel from the chamber...past the unfolded or unrolled crimp.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Because the chamber is deeper than the case length, to allow the crimp fold (or rolled in crimp on slugs) to extend out ward to let the shot (or slug) move forward without being hindered by the plastic case folding out.

Otherwise there would have to be a shoulder in the chamber to prevent the "rimless" shotgun shell you speak of from going too deep into the chamber and out of reach of the firing pin.  Then there would be the pressure spike from the plastic shell of the crimp folding out over that shoulder, and reducing the bore dimensions for the shot or slug to pass through to get into the barrel from the chamber...past the unfolded or unrolled crimp.

Damn, now THATS an answer!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top