Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2009 6:26:26 PM EDT
hi, i currently own a remington 710 in .243 and i am having trouble with it......i recieved this rifle as a gift from a family member who supposedly had never shot it, well i was gettin ready to head to the rasnch this morning grabbed the gun and decided to run a round or two through it just to check the function well the rounds are staying chambered after i pull the bolt back and not ejecting......what could be causing this????? shouyld i get it fixed? is it fixable?should i get another rifle?  i will be using this for deer and where i hunt the shots average from 100-300 yards...thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 3:42:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you cleaned it? Most new firearms have debris in the barrel from the manufacturing process. After cleaning it I am not sure if you can do anything else at home to correct the problem. If it has sat it may have rust in the chamber as well. I would take it to a smith to have the headspace checked.

It may seem like a stupid question but are you chambering the correct ammunition for the rifle?

The 710 is Remington's "budget" rifle, the quality isn't there when compared to the 700, neither is the aftermarket support. If you plan on doing a lot of shooting I would look at something else. If you are going to use it on a limited basis then keep it, it is accuracte enough for the ranges you are hunting.

What caliber is it?

Dolomite
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Fix extraction problem and sell rifle...buy Remington 700.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a bad extractor.

I think I'd trade it for a Stevens 200 / Savage 110.  They are far better rifles than the 710 for similar cost.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 6:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Good luck man

I have a 770 in .308 - the "improved 710" - and I have to beat the bolt handle on the shooting table after most shots to get the bolt to loosen up and extract a spent next shell.  Dry cycles just fine; ammo doesn't seem to make any difference.  I bought this after I came on active duty, and found out it only had a 2 year warranty  Kinda hard to justify paying the money out of pocket to fix Remington's problem when you haven't been stateside to work with the damn thing and have PCS'd and had my receipt stolen (along with oher items) by movers.  This is on top of the trigger feels like it's been permanently attached in the forward position and takes seemingly a hundred pounds of pressure to fire it.  This rifle makes a SAR1 with trigger slap feel like a match grade trigger!  I've maintained the hell out of it, scrubbed everywhere, tried every trick I've been able to scrounge up, and I've got a garbage rifle that shoots 4ish MOA on a good day!  This is frustrating as hell - I qualify EXPERT with a M16/M4 and this rifle seems like it can't hit the broadside of a barn from the inside.

I regret buying it ever time I pick up the rifle.  If I wasn't a diehard 870 fan, I would NEVER own another Remington.  Their customer service has been garbage, and they wouldn't even offer suggestions over the phone to help me.  The resale value's also garbage - a 3ish year old gun sells used at 25% of original purchase price.  H&R single shots/Kel Tec/Hi-Points don't even depreciate that fast!!
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies fellas, sorry i havent gotten on work has been keepin me busy....the rifle was a gift so money was spent what so ever on it i have it at the local gun smith to see what he can do if he fixes it great if not no big deal nothing lost......i kinda hope he fixes it though because i hadnt planned to buy another rifle till after the new year and this can hold me over till then to atleast take out a doe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top