Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2009 8:32:09 PM EDT
Hello all, new to the forum, and it looks like a great site. I've looked around a little and did a couple of searches with no results. I know this subject has probably been worn out but I can't find a thread on it. I have a new AR 15 on the way and have heard several versions on breaking in a 16" chrome lined barrel. Any for sure proceedures to get the best out of this barrel.

Thanks,

Capt'n
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 6:28:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Follow manufacturers recommendations
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.

Capt'n
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:45:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Here's the real answer.

Barrel Break-in Myths

Just shoot it and clean it.

I've always suspected that barrel break in was a load of crap. Thanks for the second opinion.

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Here's the real answer.

Barrel Break-in Myths

Just shoot it and clean it.

Very interesting read OP,  makes me rethink my use of JB compound .  

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 11:01:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for getting back on my question Ole Painless. Guess it doesn't matter much. Never have used that JP compound, just a little hoppes after a mild brushing. All my hunting rifles have always been cleaned after 5 or so rounds and shoot well. First time breaking in a simi auto chromed lined and thought I'd check.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Guess it doesn't matter much. First time breaking in a simi auto chromed lined and thought I'd check.

Are you certain the entire bbl is chrome lined & not just the chamber?  

Generally speaking, most AR bbl's aren't chrome lined the entire length of the bore but the chamber only in order to help extraction with a filthy rifle. Chrome lining means you will never have a NM spec'd bbl as well as the chrome won't be uniform throughout the bore. (Or so I have been told.)

Now, what *I* do on bbl break-in is shot a single shot, swab the bore out with a wet patch 2-3 times, shoot again, swab again 2-3 times with a fresh, clean wet patch, etc. for about 10-15 rds. Yes, it's boring as hell. However, the times I have done this has seemed to result in a very very finely accurate rifle.    

As a counterpoint for those whom say a break-in isn't necessary, I contend it costs virtually nothing but a few extra minutes of my time. An extra accurate bbl is certainly worth my piddling extra 30-45 minutes of time, IMO.

My .o2

Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#9]
BC,

Havn't received the rifle as yet, Ruger (SR-556) but they state: cold hammer fordged, chrome lined  Mil Spec 41V45 Barrel. I've always taken my time shooting in my hunting rifles and they are all shooters. I'll probably do the same with the new rifle as the range only allows 1 round loaded at a time, no muliti loaded mags, so what the heck.

Thanks for your reply
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 8:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
the guy that originally started this myth was a barrel maker, his friend later came out and said that the whole myth was started about break in so that people would wear out the barrel quicker and have to buy a new one. this is of course people who shoot matches etc and actually shoot enough to wear out a barrel......it was a scam in other words...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 8:23:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Good read, thanks for posting it.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

the guy that originally started this myth was a barrel maker, his friend later came out and said that the whole myth was started about break in so that people would wear out the barrel quicker and have to buy a new one. this is of course people who shoot matches etc and actually shoot enough to wear out a barrel......it was a scam in other words...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top