Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2009 4:55:42 PM EDT
Purchased this stuff about 2 weeks ago and finally got to firing it today in my M1A. What a NIGHTMARE, do not EVER use this ammo, I dont care how cheap you can find it. Here's why- I loaded the mag, inserted it, pulled  the trigger. click... BOOM. The firing pin had hit the primer but was a good 2 seconds before it went off. Pretty scary. Well fired a 2nd round, worked fine. 3rd round, click... waited approx. 2 minutes and then discarded the round since it didn't fire. Tried a 4th round. click... nothing again.
This ammo truly can be hazardous towards the user, I recommend not buying it and not using it in any rifle. And before anyone blames my rifle, After I successfully fired 20 rounds of German DAG and 20 rounds of Federal American Eagle.

This is the ammunition I am talking about: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=261609

I'm not trying to do the company any harm, as I did not buy it from then but a local dealer. I just want to warn the general public on how dangerous this stuff really is.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Purchased this stuff about 2 weeks ago and finally got to firing it today in my M1A. What a NIGHTMARE, do not EVER use this ammo, I dont care how cheap you can find it. Here's why- I loaded the mag, inserted it, pulled  the trigger. click... BOOM. The firing pin had hit the primer but was a good 2 seconds before it went off. Pretty scary. Well fired a 2nd round, worked fine. 3rd round, click... waited approx. 2 minutes and then discarded the round since it didn't fire. Tried a 4th round. click... nothing again.
This ammo truly can be hazardous towards the user, I recommend not buying it and not using it in any rifle. And before anyone blames my rifle, After I successfully fired 20 rounds of German DAG and 20 rounds of Federal American Eagle.

This is the ammunition I am talking about: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=261609

I'm not trying to do the company any harm, as I did not buy it from then but a local dealer. I just want to warn the general public on how dangerous this stuff really is.

Big +1
Mine is dated 1980
Ordered 1k rounds and recieved 1280 so I thought great. Started shooting it and it was like a muzzle loader, pulled the trigger and waited for what felt like a minute, then it fired. I noticed it didn't have the NATO cross just the circle so I figured it didn't pass. I thought the powder was

bad and had a friend pull all the bullets and powder. Reloaded with Varget and still had the problems, must be bad primers. The bullets shoot well though, through other brass. Do Not Buy This Ammo
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#2]
S&B ammo is known for it's hard primers.

Usually not a problem with Mil surplus bolt actions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:21:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I wish we really had an ammunition forum for stuff like this to warn others, and not just for the ak/ar/pistol area, but in here. It would be perfect to report what rounds work great in what, problems to report, tips and such. This wouldn't be just reloaded ammunition, but a "commercial ammo forum".
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 5:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought some a couple of years ago from SAMCO.  No issues with it going off or with the groups.  It is corrosive.

I'd buy more if I could still get it for $220 per thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I bought some a couple of years ago from SAMCO.  No issues with it going off or with the groups.  It is corrosive.

The whole corrosive part threw me off, especially in my m1a. I don't want to be tearing down the gas action every time I shoot it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The whole corrosive part threw me off, especially in my m1a. I don't want to be tearing down the gas action every time I shoot it.

Yep, I agree and now Ive gotta tear down my whole rifle today because where I bought it, it was labelled as ".308 non corrosive surplus"
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#7]
this is the stuff with the black primers,mark VZ?? If its the same stuff,I've been shooting it for 15 years.Mine all went bang out of my Fal or cetme.  I remember the ads saying  this ammo was made so they could have it in stock when they overran us and would have ammo to use in OUR guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:20:15 AM EDT
[#8]
crap, I just bought a bunch of this stuff. Guess my HK91 wont be getting fed.. lots of food for my bolt guns now.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
this is the stuff with the black primers,mark VZ?? If its the same stuff,I've been shooting it for 15 years.Mine all went bang out of my Fal or cetme.  I remember the ads saying  this ammo was made so they could have it in stock when they overran us and would have ammo to use in OUR guns.

Nope you may be safe, im not sure what you have but the stuff im talking about is headstamped from the 12 o'clock position ".308W" and at the 6 o clock "82" and at 3 and 9 there is a O, almost like it was going to be nato.. but isnt. The primer is the same color as the round(tarnished brass) but its coated in some sort of red primer sealant. However I did notice, this ammo is spot on and accurate. I will be pulling the bullets, and loading them into some other shells I have prepped. It seems to be that its deffinatly a case of a primer being far too hard. Bolt actions should fair well this this and im sure would deff. be a great practice ammo since its so cheap... but remmember its corrosive and will need to be cleaned!

I just warn against using this ammo in case someone fires it... nothing happens, so as they eject it, it might discharge causing great damage. Buyer beware.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#10]
It sounds like it would be good ammo for my FR-8.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Sell it on the EE or gunbroker with full disclosure.

I'd buy it all for my FR-8 or to knock down for components.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top