Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 9:19:48 AM EDT
Option 1: build a 6.8 on a stripped lower I have (probably a Stag).

Option 2: buy a used Marlin 30-30 and scope it.

Use: General shooting, possible deer hunting in a neighboring state.

I a couple of AR builds, so I am familiar with the platform etc.

On a 30-30, the only experience I have with them is shooting a couple rounds through one. Are they hard to maintain or clean? Thanks in advance for the info.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#1]
every man deserves at least one lever gun.  

My main deerstick is a marlin 336.  It's basic, easy to handle, and 5 in accurate out to 200 yds with a 2x7 scope and leverevolution ammo.  I LOVE THIS RIFLE.  

The main issue is that after 15 years, I still haven't shot a deer past 95 yards.  Just a function of the terrain I guess.  

Cleaning a lever gun is an experience, but like an AR, you just end up appreciating the design.

with that said, I'd love to take my ar hunting and prolly will this year.  Be sure to check magazine restrictions in your area.

I vote for a 30/30 then do something fun with your lower like .450 socom !
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Option 1: build a 6.8 on a stripped lower I have (probably a Stag).

Option 2: buy a used Marlin 30-30 and scope it.

Use: General shooting, possible deer hunting in a neighboring state.

I a couple of AR builds, so I am familiar with the platform etc.

On a 30-30, the only experience I have with them is shooting a couple rounds through one. Are they hard to maintain or clean? Thanks in advance for the info.

6.8.....especially if you don't own a .308 AR.....

6.8 just kicks so much ass over the 5.56.

Sean

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#3]
A levergun is the epitome of "handy".  It is easy to pack around, easy to find ammo for, easy to keep with you and easy to live with.  No extra mags to keep track of etc.  Just plain easy.

You already have AR's.  There is nothing difficult about a levergun unless you decide to start pulling screws.

Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Get a lever.  Don't scope it, put a good set of ghost ring sights on it.  They are great carry rifles.  Love my 336.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Yup.

Not exactly as easy as taking down an AR, it's not overly complicated.

Anything more than ghost rings or a 2X scope on a .30-30 is overkill. I had a 4X Weaver on my first and I removed it. My .44 levergun will never wear magnified optics.

Side benefit, .30-30 has been around over a hundred years and can be found anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A levergun is the epitome of "handy".  It is easy to pack around, easy to find ammo for, easy to keep with you and easy to live with.  No extra mags to keep track of etc.  Just plain easy.

You already have AR's.  There is nothing difficult about a levergun unless you decide to start pulling screws.

+1 I love lever actions!
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 11:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Marlin 336 with Williams WGRS fire sights on it.  I'll never sell it.  Touches bullet holes at 50 yards.  I push a 170 grain Sierra flat nose pill out of it at 2200+ fps.

Seriously fun and deadly.  I love my RRA 16" 6.8SPC, but I'll always keep my 336.

- AG
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
If you already have an AR, grab a lever gun. They're fun.

'Sides, I have a 336 for sale in EE.

Maintenance is easy. I've completely stripped both of mine just because. 'Twas a snap. They're accurate, too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 6:39:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Definitely the levergun!!! You might not get to keep the ARs!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top