Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2009 7:23:26 AM EDT
I just heard about some 1911's made form the remnets of a sunken geman ship. Anybody heard of them?
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#1]
M1927 Ejercito Argentino aka the Sistema Colt
No, they are not made from the German pocket battle ship Admiral Graff Spee.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#2]
sounds like a cool idea
looking forward to more info
tagged
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I thought there was some "kernel of truth" to the myth, such as one major part being made from materials recycled from the boat.  (Couldn't remember the name, thanks Dr.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I thought there was some "kernel of truth" to the myth, such as one major part being made from materials recycled from the boat.  (Couldn't remember the name, thanks Dr.)

Thats what I heard, but it sounds like maybe BS
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Its BS. They didn't even begin raising the wreck until 2004.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 1:56:59 PM EDT
[#6]
they should make one out of a melted down girder from the WTC.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#7]
This rumor is completely false––the end.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#8]
A short history of Argentine 11.43mm pistols and the Graf Spee rumour....Argentina bought some 1911's, then in 1927 contracted for the Sistema lic by Colt.  Later they developed the Ballester-Molina pistol, which was 1911ish, but had a different lockwork and no grip safety.  Shared barrels and mags only.  The steel used in the Molina was probably US steel supplied to UK under lend/lease.  Arg was neutral in WWII, but sold lotsa Molena's to UK.  During the period in which these pistols were being made, some Argentine vessels were scuttled and may have been used in making steel for guns, but there's no specific indication of that.  (The ship in the rumour, the Graf Spee, was sunk in Uruguay, so no material could have been in Argentine foundries)

I've searched and looked and hunted, and cannot find where this rumour started, although G Gordon Liddy is credited with promulgating it on his radio program.  It was orginally put forth as evidence of the inferiority of the argentine pistol, but that mindset shows a distinct lack of understanding of metallurgy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2009 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Argentinians purchased their gun steel from Sweden.
How do folks dream this stuff up??
Link Posted: 1/27/2009 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#10]
What do you have to do to find a decent haunted gun around here?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top