Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2008 6:45:57 PM EDT
as I don't use it for CC like my BHP.  Plus, I don't want to spend the money to get it set-up the way I would want it to be for concealed carry purposes (All .45s are kinda finicky and would benefit from a light workover by a competent pistolsmith to ensure everything is working they way it should be).  I just don't see the point of having a gun that I'm not using much, I guess.  

I'm thinking of picking up a S&W M&P compact 9mm with the money that I get for the Colt.  My  BHP with 13+1 rounds is a tad bit heavy, which is why I like the M&P:  it's lightweight, reliable as hell and good to go out of the box, save for the trigger.  Here's a pic of my CC BHP and the Colt:

Another thing I like about the M&P's are the built in light rails, which my BHP doesn't have.  My Colt could be retrofitted with a Dawson light rail, but I don't feel like spending the money to get the Colt set up the way it should be.

I love my classic single action pistols, but with the new M&P's are just such a good bang for the buck, as they pretty much good to go outta the box, save for the trigger.  I spent about $575 on my BHP to get it set up the way I needed to have it:  relieved the hammer shank to eliminate hammer bite, better sights (Heine Straight Eight Slant Pros), stippling front and back, trigger job, de horn and new finish.  With the M&P you just need a trigger job and you're ready to go.  

Whaddya guys think?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking how much does he want for the damn thing?
If I had a nice Colt I would have a hard time letting it go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I know, it is kinda hard to let go of as I always wanted a Colt while in high school.  I'm still thinking about the price.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
(All .45s are kinda finicky and would benefit from a light workover by a competent pistolsmith to ensure everything is working they way it should be).  

Huh - no kidding?  

So this Colt must be malfing like crazy, right?  What kind of problems are you having?
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:33:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
(All .45s are kinda finicky and would benefit from a light workover by a competent pistolsmith to ensure everything is working they way it should be).  

Huh - no kidding?  

So this Colt must be malfing like crazy, right?  What kind of problems are you having?

I'm not having any problems.  It's just that I've learned that 1911's can be somewhat tempermental and could benefit from having a once over by a gunsmith just to check things out, like extractor tension, timing, grip safety engagement, just a bunch of little shit.  I only have about 500 rounds through my Colt and hadn't had any issues.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
On a somewhat related note, should you ever come to the same conclusion over the Hi Power, you give me a PM first, ok? Thanks.

That's a gorgeous pistol. BHP FTMFW!

Thanks, but I'm keeping the BHP.  I also have a stock FN HP.  The one in the pick is a Browning.  Same shit, just different roll marks.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
<snip>

Whaddya guys think?

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:54:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Waiting to see what price also.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:23:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinking about using it as "money" toward my vintage bike build based on a Yamaha XS650 motor.  The guy building the bike wants a .45 Colt, so I'm thinking at letting it go for $600.  But, I wonder if that's too much for it since it has 500 rounds through her?  But, damn, it's in good condition.

Here's what I'm looking at having built, minues the ape hangers:  www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOBL6XL5p-g
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 10:38:32 PM EDT
[#10]
2 more pics:

Link Posted: 10/17/2008 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice pistols.  Keep them if you can but I understand where you're coming from
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Got any Bear problems in your hood? I have a 475 Linebaugh I would love to swap for your Colt.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep them and get a Kahr K40 for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Keep them and get a Kahr K40 for concealed carry.

Was thinkin of getting a subcompact S&W M&P.
Link Posted: 10/19/2008 5:47:28 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Huh - no kidding?

So this Colt must be malfing like crazy, right? What kind of problems are you having?

I'm not having any problems. It's just that I've learned that 1911's can be somewhat tempermental and could benefit from having a once over by a gunsmith just to check things out, like extractor tension, timing, grip safety engagement, just a bunch of little shit. I only have about 500 rounds through my Colt and hadn't had any issues.

*facepalm*

If you've got 500 rounds down the pipe without a malfunction, then the damn thing's as reliable as anything's every likely to be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top