Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2008 3:11:28 PM EDT
Looking to get one- I think.

I like the T1-C.

I realize they're heavy, and above that there have been some bad experiences with the Kahr product.

What I am after is a link to how to change the mag catch to accept unmodified mags, any pros/cons/legal issues of doing it, and does a gunsmith need to do it?

A good source for mint mags.

Also, will the current production 100 rd drum mag still work with the mag catch mod?

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Sorry, can't help you with your questions. Disclaimer, if you want to ignore my post...

When I worked at Sportsmans we sold a few (2 or 3) of those. One came back with a cracked receiver after a very short period of time. Kahr fixed (replaced) it, but still...

They are also exceptionally heavy.

/opinion
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 3:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Check this board out, they will have your answers:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

I am in the process of SBRing a Commando model.

I have already adapted a 1928 lower with the detachable stock.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#3]
To make this take original USGI magazines, you must remove the Kahr magazine catch and replace the catch with an original USGI catch.

A M1 style Thompson will not take a drum magazine no matter what.

You need a 1919/1921/1928 model to take a drum magazine.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#4]
KAHR makes JUNK. You would be better off buying one of these:

NEW TOMMY GUNS

They should be out early next year.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had a khar M1 semi for awhile, been % 100 reliable.

Most of the general complaints against the Khar are the same problems the older AO ones had.

I bought mine used, the previous owner bought 4 30 round mags from Khar at $60 EA ! 5 min with a dremel is all it takes to mod GI mags, serviceable GI 30 and 20 stick mags can be found for less than $20. Drum mags willl not fit M1.

Personally I like using 20 rd mags,
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:35:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
To make this take original USGI magazines, you must remove the Kahr magazine catch and replace the catch with an original USGI catch.

I could've swore one time I saw a picture of a marine in WWII with a drum on his thompson and it had the horizontal wooden handgaurd and not the vertical one.  Maybe they replaced the handguard or barrel with the newer type but had the older receiver?  

I remember the caption specifically said something about a Marine breaks with coffee after a long night.  Because he was drinking coffee in a trench somewhere in the pacific with his thompson next to him.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

NEW TOMMY GUNS

Need more details!
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I could've swore one time I saw a picture of a marine in WWII with a drum on his thompson and it had the horizontal wooden handgaurd and not the vertical one.  Maybe they replaced the handguard or barrel with the newer type but had the older receiver?  

I remember the caption specifically said something about a Marine breaks with coffee after a long night.  Because he was drinking coffee in a trench somewhere in the pacific with his thompson next to him.

Mil bought both kinds.  The M1 Thompson was a simplified cheaper to make version of the original.  With the M1 the ability to take drums was removed.

Generally, the 21/28 Thompsons had finned barrels, VFGs, and the leaf rear sight.

Generally the M1 had a stamped rear sight, smooth barrel, and horizontal handguard.

But like all other things, there are plenty of exceptions.
IIRC, the Army mainly had the M1 in Europe.  The USMC had 21s from the Post Office, then 28s.

To the OP, stay away from Auto Ordnance.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:03:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M1928A1 is found with a horizontal wooden handguard.

The M1928 has the vertical grip.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Friend had one of AO guns many years ago.  It worked well enough but weighed a ton.  After about of year of lugging the thing to the range it dawned on him that it was really a useless sort of firearm.  A big heavy expensive toy that shot 45 ammo down range.  Once the coolness factor wore off there was really no point to it.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The M1928A1 is found with a horizontal wooden handguard.

The M1928 has the vertical grip.

Gotcha, that makes complete sense.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 5:14:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEW TOMMY GUNS

Need more details!

Im going to guess they will be in the 2k territory
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]
are there any problems related to installing the gi magazine catch instead of trying to dremel down the auto ord/kahr mag catch
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:57:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEW TOMMY GUNS

Need more details!

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
are there any problems related to installing the gi magazine catch instead of trying to dremel down the auto ord/kahr mag catch

Since the receiver is 1/10" lower in height, you would have to modify either original or Kahr's Magazine catch. None would be a drop in part if you want to use original magazines unaltered.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

NEW TOMMY GUNS

Need more details!

$3000.00 for a basic 1928 style Thompson with 16" barrel. Please keep in mind that the internals are NOT the same as those used by KAHR, that has been in use by Westy Hurley since 1975, which is very problematic, plus makes it difficult at times to pull back the charging handle.

No question that these will be very nice. It will be the closest thing to a real FA Thompson. Uses a lot of the original FA parts that have been modified. ATF approved going back over a year now.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
When I had one years ago, I modified the mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top