Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2008 7:56:10 PM EDT
I really like the norinco models with the 16" barrel. the yugos with the grenade launcher are .

so how can I tell if the barrel is pinned or screwed in place?

anything else to look for that makes one better than the other. I have heard that as far as norincos go, those made in the factory marked number 3 are the best. why is that?
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:16:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd stay away from the Norincos. If I remeber correctly the barrels are just pinned to the reciever. I had a Russian SKS and loved it till I bought an AK.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 1:35:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Look for the star with a date stamp. Please dont buy chinese.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:11:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't go chinese?

Yugos are pinned.

Biggest problem with the chicoms is the furniture is a very soft wood.  From what I've seen the chicoms seem to be the most accurate.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 6:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Norinco SKS's are a great gun.
had one for many years, get a recoil buffer and keep it clean and oiled and your good to go.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look for the star with a date stamp. Please dont buy chinese.

what does the star mean?

are all norincos pinned?

ok if another country produced one with a 16" barrel I would be happy to buy it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 8:48:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I have had a Norinco SKS for over 20 years, bought new and unfired. The wood is/was
soft but I changed that for a commie plastic stock. It is accurate in spite of the crappy sights, which I could replace with aftermarket excellent sights if I desired.

Also sadly it doesn't use AK mags, just a 30 rounder with ther ugly "snout". But it uses that mag flawlessly. I don't doubt reports that Russian SKSs are better made but I wouldn't swap it for three Yugo grenade chunking SKSs....

So, other than crappy sights and slower mag changes I call it a pretty good battle rifle but of course not on the par with my M4 Bushie.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'd stay away from the Norincos. If I remeber correctly the barrels are just pinned to the reciever. I had a Russian SKS and loved it till I bought an AK.

The Factory 26 Chicom SKS barrels are usually threaded into the receiver. This was the only military SKS factory that also built them for commercial export, IIRC.

Here's the info on how to identify which barrel attachment method was used.

www.simonov.net/uberthread.htm
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 10:15:08 AM EDT
[#8]
My personal experience says that the albanians are the best of the breed, followed very closely by the Russians (good luck finding one of those)

The yugo's are hit or miss, some are actually pretty accurate, while others cannot hit the broad side of the barn.

I have never had a problem with a chicom SKS. They are about on par with the yugo, but there is a larger variety of configurations available for them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 8:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a yugo that I have had for several years and it has been a fine gun. but ive only put about a 500 rounds through it, so I may not be qualified to speak up in this thread. just my .02
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 10:09:12 AM EDT
[#11]
There are only 2 things to really look for:

1. Make sure the crown looks good.

2. Check the condition of the bore if its a Yugo, or very early Russian.

Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:47:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I know pretty much all SKS are good to go, I am asking what makes one better than the other.

poeple say threaded barrels are better than pinned. obviously the 16" barrel of the chinese is a plus to me, and no way I am getting one with a grenade launcher.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
You want to know what to look for in an SKS? Look for me, three years ago when I sold 2 "mint" Albanians for 275.00... What a dumbass.

I have had 6 other SKS's, a Russian and three Norincos. The Norincos were a Type 56, "Paratrooper" and a "Type D". All were fantastic, and irregaurdless of construction nuances, the Norinco SKS's are outstanding guns. There isn't an SKS variant that has seen more combat than the Chicom. In addtion to the Russian/Chicom, I have a Vietmanese and Yugo.

The Yugo is easily one of the best SKS's out there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Norinco Pratrooper and previously had another Norinco and Yugo. All of them were great rifles. The Yugo was built like a tank. I didn't mind the grenade launcher. I thought it made the rifle look kinda cool, even though it made it muzzle heavy.

Just check the bore and over all condition. These things are built pretty rock solid. Also, I believe the Yugos don't have a chrome lined barrel, if that makes a difference to you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top