Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2008 5:11:06 PM EDT
i have a wnchester model 94. it has some issues. first off, the bore is about the only clean thing on this gun, so i believe it will be worth it. my dad gave me the gun and said if i want it, i will have to fix it, so here i go.

the finish is deeply worn and there is some rusting going on. what is best for cleaning up the rust? i want to refinish the gun too. i dont really know what my options are there, so i would like some suggestions if at all possible.

the fore end stock is loose and slides up the magazine tube and barrel. the bolt that clamps down the band to the stock and barrel is missing. where would i find one, and what is it called? also, the butt stock is gone. where would i find some furniture for this? i have seen some synthetic stock sets on lever guns, and they look pretty slick, so if there are and reccommendations on those, let me know.

also the barrel band by the front sight is missing the bolt that holds that onto the barrel. where might i find on of these?

i will put ghost ring sights on this gun, and williams gunsight HQ is right down the road, so i am set there.

if you need pics to see what i am talking about, let me know. thanks
adam
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to e-gunparts.com and pull up Winchester, then the model #. They should have a parts list and schematic showing everything.

As far as the rust... WD40 and 0000 steel wool will clean it up fairly well. Just be sure to use CLP or something similar to oil the gun after removing the rust.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
In use Kroil and a brass parts brush tio clean up rust. Let the Kroil soak for a day or two and then use the brass brush. The brass brush will leave the bluing but will remove the rust if it has soaked well. Steel wool will remove the bluing along with the rust if any is left in the area.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:00:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have bought a couple of stainless rifles that had minor rust stains on the barrels.  Plain old naval jelly worked like a charm by just rubbing in onto the offending spots then buffing later with a rag.  But I don't know if it would be safe for blued surfaces so you would want to check someplace inconspicuous.  You can get nearly any part you need to restore a model 94 though so have fun!
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:23:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have bought a couple of stainless rifles that had minor rust stains on the barrels.  Plain old naval jelly worked like a charm by just rubbing in onto the offending spots then buffing later with a rag.  But I don't know if it would be safe for blued surfaces so you would want to check someplace inconspicuous.  You can get nearly any part you need to restore a model 94 though so have fun!

Naval jelly would strip blueing. I would use CLP, a good paper towel and some elbow grease.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top