Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 4:24:09 PM EDT
i am picking up a .338 soon for elk and bear, and am wondering what kind of reasonable accuracy i can expect at longer (500 yards) ranges? i know its more of a gun and shooter ability question, but is .338 a good choice for this distance? thanks
adam
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 6:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
There are very few things the  338 Win Mag does not do exceptionally well. If you want to go long use a good 200 Gr. bullet with a high BC at 3000 fps, it has no problem running with the strong 7MMs and 300s. I use a 200 Gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip (now discontinued) in my 340 Weatherby at 3200fps and it lacks nothing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 6:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
.338s are known for having the least amount of "inherrent" accuracy for medium bore cartridges.  

Having said that, unless you spend an inordinate amount of time (and subsequently money) you probably have no business shooting at elk or bear at 500 yards.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:47:10 PM EDT
[#3]
We have had good luck with my dad's ruger in 338. Have gotten moose over 500 yrds but we shoot quite a bit. practice practice practice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Interesting as I have never come across a 338 that didn't shoot rather well. I have owned several 338 Win Mags, a 338 RUM (this was a little too much of a good thing), and my 340 Weatherby. I would take any shot I would normally take with any of the fast, flat shooting Magnums.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top