Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 10:07:43 AM EDT
Simple question.  Chambered in 5.56.  The best available piston gun -vs- the Robarm XCR .... Whats the better choice?

J223...

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:21:48 AM EDT
[#1]
XCR!

I believe the XCR piston system is much more robust than any of the AR varients.  The bolt is massive.  The monolithic upper is stiff and yet light and a 16" light barreled XCR weighs in at 7 lbs.  An entire XCR costs a little more than any of the top brand Piston Uppers.  I have ARs in 5.56 and my XCR gets used the most except my 6.8 SPC AR, however you can now get 6.8 SPC barrels and bolts for the XCR.

MadDog

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
i'd get an XCR, though a POF or LWRC piston system would be good. in my opinion, unless using one of the prior ones i mentioned- i don't think the AR-15 bolt would hold up with a regular slap on piston system for as long as the DI system. the XCR was designed ground up with a piston system, and it retains many of the AR's strengths. i'd go with the XCR.

edit: i forgot LMT. they're legit too
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#4]
XCR but as a second choice, the LMT piston MRP.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
the XCR looks fairly appealing...but then so does the Sig 556.....with a few minor upgrades.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
XCR

Caliber Conversion, Easy to Change Barrel, Gas Piston, it's the future just look at the the future rifles like the SCAR and the ACR.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#7]
what about a sig 556 with folding stock and rail?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#8]

XCR seems like a great system.  My only concern is what happens if Robinson Arms goes out of business (god forbid) THe market penetration isn't deep enough for me at this point (parts availability mainly) to have it as my ONLY rifle.  If its anything other than that, I'm all for it.

Chris
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:23:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
XCR seems like a great system.  My only concern is what happens if Robinson Arms goes out of business (god forbid) THe market penetration isn't deep enough for me at this point (parts availability mainly) to have it as my ONLY rifle.  If its anything other than that, I'm all for it.

Chris

Not knocking you here, but people have been saying "what if they go under" for the past 9 years. They make good guns and unless the ATF seizes the business I think they will be around for a lot longer.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Not knocking you here, but people have been saying "what if they go under" for the past 9 years. They make good guns and unless the ATF seizes the business I think they will be around for a lot longer.

No offense taken.  I just prefer my PRIMARY weapon to be something that is readily available.  If my AR goes down for any reason I am sure I can find parts for it anywhere from a variety of manufacturers.  Not so with XCR.  

Chris

ETA: I should have said ONLY as opposed to PRIMARY
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:07:10 PM EDT
[#11]
XCR easily.  Piston driven ARs still require buffer tubes thus no folding stocks.  XCR might be cheaper too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I still haven't had the chance to shoot a piston-driven AR.  My XCR, though, is more fun to shoot than my AR's because it operates smoother, has less felt recoil, and less muzzle rise.  The folding stock is nice for storage, but I don't really ever shoot it with the stock folded, as this doesn't do anything for me.

If I ever get a piston AR, it will be the LWRC, because they seem to have worked out many of the kinks through proper engineering.  You can still pick up an XCR for less, though, which means you have more $$$ for ammo, optics, or other goodies.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#13]
A Sig 556 is a better choice than both an op-rod AR or XCR. Look into the 556's before you make a purchase. There is alot to like about them...

Piston AR's are a gimmick in the civilian world and IMO, many of the currently availible models aren't "quite right". There are many issues to tackle when retrofitting a weapon and changing its entire operating system. Retrofitting a weapon, as opposed to designing a new one, requires you to work within a certain set of perameters that may or may not be conducive to your idea.

Obviously, some are better than others. The POF seems to be good, as does LWRC however, neither had the development expertise or budget of the HK416. The HK416's prevalence among the most elite of the American military suggests its an excellent weapon. With its release up coming, I personally wouldn't buy a piston upper until the HK is released.

Even still, piston uppers don't offer much on a 16 inch AR carbine. IMO, certainly not enough benefits to justify the cost and "leap of faith". For better or worse, DI's are a known quanitity. Its well known that if you have a good AR and you take care of it, it won't ever let you down. And I don't mean cleaning it every 10 rounds. That's not what AR's need to work. They need good components and "stewardship". Buy a nice weapon, use good ammo/magazines and lube it appropirately and it won't fail you.

If you aren't running a sub 14.5 inch barrel on a F/A lower with a can, you won't ever see the true benefits of an op-rod system.

IMO, the best availible civilian piston gun is the Sig 556. With the newer models, it just keeps getting better and better.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:30:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
XCR... I've all but given up on the AR system, I do still own a bunch, but its a dated platform and the XCR out of the box is what most people strive for after accessorizing the hell out of an AR.

I also think the AR is a dated platform, piston driven carbines & bullpups are going to become more & more common.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I would go with the XCR.

You're not getting more features for the money from any company or product anywhere, and they are great shooters

The recoil is smooth, they are accurate, and its multicaliber. I am very impressed with my XCR  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I would like to add that I think if Robinson Arms were to ever have problems and close the rights to build them would be bought by some other company. Professional Ordnance went belly up and everyone thought they were substandard and Bushmaster still bought them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Wait for the Masada, or get a POF upper.

Quoted:
Simple question.  Chambered in 5.56.  The best available piston gun -vs- the Robarm XCR .... Whats the better choice?

J223...

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I got one of the first ones and it is my go to gun.  Just for the worst case scenario, I am slowly acquiring some spare parts.  I am waiting on my spare bolt as we speak.  I'll add springs with my next order and I should be covered.

The few bugs the system have have been worked out and simple to remedy--mostly read the manual, check a few bolts during maintenance and or add some loctite.  When the Masada comes out it will have growing pains as well so add a couple of years to its time table before it is a locked on system and I'd say you'll be after 2010.

The XCR is available now, with several of us at or past 10 K rounds.  It is available in several calibers with several stock options.  Optics choice is pretty much unlimited.  Mine its anything I have fed it from any mag that can lift a round.  It routinely feeds from mags that jam an AR.

It is COMPLETELY serviceable by the end user with simple hand tools.  If you get a new one, you have 5 different settings to tailor recoil to your liking or adjust for varying ammo--to my knowledge the SCAR and Masada have two settings and I don't believe the POF is adjustable.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#19]
The argument about the XCR and spare parts is moot since you can buy the spare parts now (unlike a certain other rifle mentioned in this thread which has to go back to factory for everything). Also, as Martens has previously mentioned, everything is user serviceable.  Buy an XCR, and buy the spare parts now and you are good to go regardless of the fate of RA.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A Sig 556 is a better choice than both an op-rod AR or XCR. Look into the 556's before you make a purchase. There is alot to like about them...

IMO, the best availible civilian piston gun is the Sig 556. With the newer models, it just keeps getting better and better.
+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top