Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2008 9:49:43 PM EDT
Well, I finally updated my old Ruger Mini-14 to a near "GB" condition.  I added a Choate (DuraCoated ACU Light Tan) stock and flash hider, 3 picatinny rails, a Harris bipod adaptor, and a vertical foregrip.  It's now one of a kind.  What do you think?

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l88/GreenvilleRoute/Assault%20Rifles/071508001.jpg
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
tag because I like
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks good..... how does it shoot?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
What series is yours ? Mines a 187 series. Good job !! WarDawg
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:19:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks good.  Think I'd go with a lower power scope myself, like a fixed 4x or less.  

How do you like the fit of that stock?  To you and to the action?  
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:26:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I'ts a 188 Series.  The fit of the action to the stock is tight.  I've had the magazines (5 of 'em) since I bought the rifle back in the early '90s.  Only one has ever given me feed problems.  As for how it shoots, it has the older style "pencil thin" barrel, which will group 5 shots in about 3" at 50 yards (even though the scope is well designed for 100 yards, I don't usually shoot that far with it).  Eventually, the barrel will get replaced if I can find an aftermarket match-grade replacement.

I mainly updated the rifle because it became "orphaned" by all the assault rifles in my collection.  I stopped shooting it in favor of my Colt Match Target HBAR, G3, etc.  I'm not a fan of traditionally stocked rifles, hense the Choate stock.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Why do you have a scope and a flashlight.  And...a grip and a bi-pod?

The flashlight and grip would generally be for close-in work.  The bi-pod and scope would generally be for long-range work.  

Pick a range and stick with it.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:23:31 AM EDT
[#8]
BECAUSE IT'S MINE AND IT LOOKS COOL.

Anyway, wasn't the Mini-14 considered the "do-all" rifle back in it's day?  I have a Picatinny rail mount with a Red-Dot I can swap out for the 3-9x50.  If you want me to take 15 pictures of the rifle in each of it's configurations, then whatever - the photo is PURELY representative of what can be mounted on the rifle at any given time.  I have a extra laser laying around somewhere that I can put on the third forward rail if you want to complain some more.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:26:16 AM EDT
[#9]
You sound a little defensive.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Plus, you asked what I thought.

And, I'm right.

And, school's out.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I had one with that stock in camo, and I really liked the stock, less the rails.  Pretty bullet proof.

That is the one gun I have sold that I really regret.

Doc
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Get yourself a gripod, save weight and space
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Get yourself a gripod, save weight and space

I saw one of those grip-pods, I just had the Harris bipod on my AR, so I take it off when I need it, rather than buy another accessory.  I'm not hiking miles with it, so weight isn't a concern.

Quoted:
Why do you have a scope and a flashlight.  And...a grip and a bi-pod?

The flashlight and grip would generally be for close-in work.  The bi-pod and scope would generally be for long-range work.  

Pick a range and stick with it.

I like this XCR rifle from Robinson Arms Company.  Oh my God!  Is that a folded bipod on that gun?  It's a travisty - it has a vertical foregrip, a scope AND a collapsible stock.  I think there's going to be another Spanish Inquisition!

That's for you numbnutts! (slash-5)

Why don't you send them an e-mail telling them the same thing you told me.

Quoted:

And, I'm right.

And, school's out.

And obviously, school's back in session - go back to class!  The teacher's name is Robinson, as in Robinson Armament Co.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:43:48 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'ts a 188 Series.  The fit of the action to the stock is tight.  I've had the magazines (5 of 'em) since I bought the rifle back in the early '90s.  Only one has ever given me feed problems.  As for how it shoots, it has the older style "pencil thin" barrel, which will group 5 shots in about 3" at 50 yards (even though the scope is well designed for 100 yards, I don't usually shoot that far with it).  Eventually, the barrel will get replaced if I can find an aftermarket match-grade replacement.

I mainly updated the rifle because it became "orphaned" by all the assault rifles in my collection.  I stopped shooting it in favor of my Colt Match Target HBAR, G3, etc.  I'm not a fan of traditionally stocked rifles, hense the Choate stock.

Have you tried out the Perfect Union BBS for tips on how to accurize it? Cutting the barrel back to 16" and hanging one of the heavier comps on it is supposed to close up the groups respectably. Believe you can have the barrel cut and threaded 1/2 x 28mm and trigger work done for a really nice pull for around $200. They're talking under 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds consistently.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks good!
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tried out the Perfect Union BBS for tips on how to accurize it? Cutting the barrel back to 16" and hanging one of the heavier comps on it is supposed to close up the groups respectably. Believe you can have the barrel cut and threaded 1/2 x 28mm and trigger work done for a really nice pull for around $200. They're talking under 3-4 inch groups at 100 yds consistently.

I'll have to check them out.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Not a major fan of the Mini but I do have a soft spot for them. Nice work. Makes it look a little modern. Now I wish Ruger sold them like that as GB models with spare parts and well priced magazines.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Only one has ever given me feed problems.  As for how it shoots, it has the older style "pencil thin" barrel, which will group 5 shots in about 3" at 50 yards (even though the scope is well designed for 100 yards, I don't usually shoot that far with it).  Eventually, the barrel will get replaced if I can find an aftermarket match-grade replacement.

check out one of these:

http://www.accu-strut.com/

it give my mini a 20 round 1.6 inch grouping (50yards) with cheap ass monarch ammo.

good looking mini BTW

Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Have you tried out the Perfect Union BBS for tips on how to accurize it?

+1

the best websight ever for mini-14s!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:46:13 AM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, I've found that 550 cord works pretty good with that Choate stock, if you want to make a cheek rest for it.

Am tempted to try attaching a rail to my stock.  A VFG might be kinda neato.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Only one has ever given me feed problems.  As for how it shoots, it has the older style "pencil thin" barrel, which will group 5 shots in about 3" at 50 yards (even though the scope is well designed for 100 yards, I don't usually shoot that far with it).  Eventually, the barrel will get replaced if I can find an aftermarket match-grade replacement.

check out one of these:

www.accu-strut.com/

it give my mini a 20 round 1.6 inch grouping (50yards) with cheap ass monarch ammo.

good looking mini BTW

Made the link hot.  Looks like a good idea.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

check out one of these:

www.accu-strut.com/

good looking mini BTW

Made the link hot.  Looks like a good idea.

you can also make your own strut,

http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/showthread.php?t=49785

but the accu-strut is well made,
and way better than the home made contraption i made.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Looks good!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top