Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2008 4:41:04 PM EDT
I finally got my NRA Special Edition Mini-14 to the shooting range. I put a Leupold Vari-X II 3X9 scope on it. The ammo used was Barnaul/Brown Bear 62 grain soft points and Wolf 55 grain hollow points. I did fire four rounds of Radway Green 62 grain SS109 also. The mag was a Promag metal 20 round mag.

Unfortunately I did not plan my trip to well so I had no rest to fire from. The range was a National Forest shooting range about 40 miles from home. There are nice wood shooting tables. My target was a cardboard box with a stick-on Shoot-and -See Target. I started at 25 yards to sight in the scope and then moved out to 50 yards. I tried to let the rifle cool off between strings of 3 shots. The rifle shot better than any Mini-14 I have ever owned before but the stiff trigger and lack of a rest really prohibited me from shooting accurately. The ammo I used is also not the best for target shooting. I was pleased the rifle fired every round without a single problem.

I have never been a great target shooter but seem to do better shooting at reactive targets. After getting the scope sighted in and having run out of paper targets I decided to shoot at some rocks and pieces of clay pidgeons at the rear of the range. The distance was about 110 yards. The rifle and I did pretty good picking off small rocks and clay pidgeons. Just judging by where the bullets were impacting the rocks and dirt at the back of the range I feel quite confident I was shooting around 2 MOA.

I think a trigger job, a good rest and better ammo will significantly improve my accuracy. The trigger isn't bad but isn't great either. The Hogue stock felt great though. The Promag metal 20 rounder worked fine too. All in all I had a great time and will definitely keep this Mini-14.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice rifle! What's up with the Promag? I thought these came with 2 factory 20 rounders?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:48:29 PM EDT
[#2]
How does this model Ruger compare price wise to an entry level plain Jane AR?

Keep us updated when you shoot with a better rest,better ammo , improved trigger and so forth.

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Nice rifle! What's up with the Promag? I thought these came with 2 factory 20 rounders?

Yep.......Two factory 20 rounders. I just use the Promags for a range mag. The factories I will keep for more serious work.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:52:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Roger that. One more question, are the factory mags stamped for law enforcement use? Thx.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#5]
So what is the street price for these?  The hive mind wants to know.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Is this one of the new barrel promised/expected from Ruger?

Cause 2MOA is not bad at all...this might finally change the way people look at the Mini-14

Nice rifle!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 9:44:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Is this one of the new barrel promised/expected from Ruger?

Cause 2MOA is not bad at all...this might finally change the way people look at the Mini-14

Nice rifle!!

I think they fixed everything except the price.  I sold an older mini, and while I had good luck with it, the price of the new ones keeps me away.  I can still build an AR with new parts for about the same price.

Doc
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#8]
I paid $750 for this Mini. The 20 round Ruger mags did have Law Enforcement Use Only stamped on them.
Last night I took the Mini into my backyard for one shot. I did not want to piss my neighbors off because this 16 inch barrel Mini-14 is LOUD!!! I rested the gun on a fence post and fired one round of Brown Bear 62 grain soft point at a cherry tree at the edge of the woods about 45 yards away. I had picked out a small vine that had wound its way around the tree. I picked out a place where the vine divided into two branches. I carefully fired my one round and walked over to see what I had done. Well the bullet split the vine right in half where I had aimed. The vine was less than 2/16 inch wide. I was quite happy and retired to the TV and plans for a trigger job for this Mini...I love it !!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top