Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2008 2:48:26 PM EDT
Guys,

My buddy came across a Winchester rifle in .351.  I have done some looking around can cannot find much for ammo for this rifle.  Presently it looks like I have to buy old ammo (Gunbroker, Old Western Scrounger, etc).

Does anyone have any other places I could check?
Link Posted: 5/31/2008 10:56:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck. Doesnt look like anyone is making it in quantity right now. Wasnt this an old Prison guard rifle cartridge?
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 5:49:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I got to fire one once.  The rifle didn't seem to be anything spectacular.  Recoil wasn't bad at all.  Old West Scrounger is new ammo but still expensive.  The Winchester 1907 which was only chambered in that caliber was popular with police.  I seem to remember one being used by police in the ambush of Bonnie & Clyde.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#3]
"I seem to remember one being used by police in the ambush of Bonnie & Clyde. "

You may be thinking of the Remington Model 8.

texashideout.tripod.com/posse.html
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 7:27:12 AM EDT
[#4]
you can make ammo from 357 maximum cases .
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 11:32:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Guys,

My buddy came across a Winchester rifle in .351.  I have done some looking around can cannot find much for ammo for this rifle.  Presently it looks like I have to buy old ammo (Gunbroker, Old Western Scrounger, etc).

Does anyone have any other places I could check?
Those things were not overly powerful, ammo is as scarce as hens teeth and the rifles are collecters items. If you have one that was handed down, buy a few rounds to play with otherwise it is best to hang them on the wall.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The 1907 was an interesting rifle with fairly colorful history for such an obscure weapon.

It saw service in WWI with the French military, allied aviators, and one US Military unit working in the US during the conflict (National Guard, IIRC).

It was quickly embraced as a lawman's rifle, and saw extensive use with the Texas Rangers as well as the FBI. Many criminals of the era also made use of the weapon.

Interestingly, it resurfaced again in the 1950s - seems Winchester decided to make another run utilizing NOS parts though the rifle had been out of production for decades. Those rifles were marketed and quickly picked up by law enforcement agencies.

Given it's autoloading mechanism, available 10-round magazines, and respectable ballistics of the .351 Winchester cartridge, it truly was revolutionary and I've always found it surprising that wasn't more military interest in that concept for several years.

Regarding the OP, I'm not aware of any great sources of ammo. The Old Western Scrounger does have contemporary loaded .351 Winchester rounds made from .357 Maximum brass.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you everyone for your replies.  I kind of figured that Old Western Scrounger or finding original was going to be my options.

Quoted:
Those things were not overly powerful, ammo is as scarce as hens teeth and the rifles are collectors items. If you have one that was handed down, buy a few rounds to play with otherwise it is best to hang them on the wall.

My buddy just wants a box or two of ammo so he can actually shoot the rifle.  He plans on keeping it more for the collector value to him then to shoot all of the time.  I do have to admit that it is an interesting rifle.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:21:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
"I seem to remember one being used by police in the ambush of Bonnie & Clyde. "

You may be thinking of the Remington Model 8.

texashideout.tripod.com/posse.html

Oops.  But it was in a similar caliber and that may have lead to my confusion.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:50:57 PM EDT
[#9]
My uncle had a .351 and he tried for almost two years to find ammo.  He finally gave up and sold the rifle.  Then he found out how much the gun was worth.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:20:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Very very popular gun with the Dillinger gang as well as the Barker Karpis gang. They even used full auto conversions built by HS Liebman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top