Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/16/2008 1:45:21 PM EDT
AR15.com members probably have the latest and greatist. But what about your family members who are not gun nuts? Anyone you know use something strange?

My father uses a Smith & Wesson J-frame and an SKS.

My grandfather uses an M1 Carbine.

My great grandfather used a Walther PP 32 and actually killed a biker with it.

My great grandmother used a Winchester 1894 .38-40. She killed dozens of deer, two bikers and one deer hunting trailer with that gun. I still have it and it still has the evidence control number engraved with an electric pencil in the reciver!
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 1:52:25 PM EDT
[#1]
My father uses a winchester M70 in .30-06 because it is "the best gun ever made".
I offered to lend him a 5.56mm or a pistol but he thinks they are weak.

Link Posted: 5/16/2008 2:03:03 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad always has his Marlin 336
Mom carries a S&W J frame
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Very cool thread.  I keep my dad up on the latest and greatest.

He uses a Mossberg 500 with light attached or a Remington Rand with a light rail and Streamlight TLR-1.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 2:33:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AR15.com members probably have the latest and greatist. But what about your family members who are not gun nuts? Anyone you know use something strange?

My great grandmother used a Winchester 1894 .38-40. She killed dozens of deer, two bikers and one deer hunting trailer with that gun. I still have it and it still has the evidence control number engraved with an electric pencil in the reciver!

...so your great grandparents got into some kind of skirmish with a biker gang?  That rocks!  
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#6]
My older brother has a 1911 I gave him for birthday/christmas/birthday/christmas.

One younger brother has a Ruger p89. Another y.b. lives in Oakland, CA. where self-defense is illegal.

My sisters rely on the fact that the beneficient universe won't let them come to harm.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...so your great grandparents got into some kind of skirmish with a biker gang?  That rocks!  

Yep. In a florida trailer park in the late 60's or early 70's.  Biker gang rolled in and basically took over the park. Grandfather stepped outside to confront some of them and ended up shooting one of them in the heart with a .32acp. Great grandmother dropped the next two with 180Gn JSP .38-40's. Both guns seized as evidence. No charges filed. Got the rifle back eventually but for some reason the Walther was never returned. She was a tough old bird who lived into her 90's
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Brother in Law = Glock 22
Sister= Bersa 380
Brother in law#2= Browning pump 12g
Father= Makarov PM
Brother =Akm47
Uncle= FN 5.7
Uncle#2= ruger p95
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 8:49:36 PM EDT
[#9]

I'm the only one I know of that has an adequate HD plan.

The rest of my relatives post this sign on their doors

ZM
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
All of my brothers use what I use
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 9:15:04 PM EDT
[#11]
AFAIK, I'm the only person in my family who has a gun for self defense.  I know my grampa had a pistol back in the '60s, but I don't know if he still does.
Link Posted: 5/16/2008 9:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Glock 17 ala LEO

Except my Cousin in the Army, he'll probably be on a Mk19.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 5:37:54 AM EDT
[#13]
my dad owns a Taurus PT111 Millennium, silver top with black bottom in 9mm.

he likes the size for what he does.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 7:07:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't have a relative that even owns any kind of gun that could be used for self defense.  My brother has hunting rifles and shotguns, but nothing self defense related.

My wife does have a Glock 26
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a very large collection so it varies. GLOCKs, Berettas, Remingtons, Colts, etc... Same with my father. We're both LEOs

My Step-Mother carries a Beretta Model 21 Bobcat in .25 ACP.

My Brother carries a Gen II GLOCK 19. (Used to be my father's).

My Cousin carries a Springfield Armory XD-45

My Grandfather carried a 2 inch S&W Model 66. (Passed away)

Out of all the firearms two have taken people. My Grandfather shot a guy while he was collecting his dues. He ran a Credit Clothing Business. Basically he would go door to door and sell fancy dresses to women. At the end of the month he would go and collect his dues. He ran that business for thirty years when he came here to the states. One day he was collecting his dues and some punk tried to mug him with a knife. He fired and killed the guy. I was about six when it happened. We were able to keep the gun. The case number is under the grip.

My father blasted a guy when he was working in Central Dade County. Traffic stop, guy pulled a small .22 revolver on my father. My old man blasted him with a S&W Model 65. I was about one when that happened. He kept the gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 8:10:33 AM EDT
[#16]
My Grandma used a model 70 in 30/06 to scare off brown bears in fishcamp when she was alone with grandkids. She was in her 80's then and lived into the 100's. She was not afraid of bears or people.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I are the only ones.  the rest of our families think the police will save them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 8:26:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont have much family. my bro cant afford a car, much less a gun. I assume my dad uses his M9.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 9:29:29 AM EDT
[#19]
My brother and I both have our Hi Powers.

Cousin has a Ruger P89

Grandmother has a SW .38 snubbie, forgot the model number.

Everyone else is clueless.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#20]
wife, Smith 637
Father in law - SW1911PD
Brother in law - P220
Gramps used a 1911
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Dad, Ruger GP 100/Glock 26

Sister M9 Beretta/Lady Rossi Revolver

Cousin Browning Hi Power/1911 Norinco

Hippie cousin harsh language and much finger pointing.  Optional curse words.

Max
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Dad uses a Smith & Wesson Model 39 9mm sometimes, but always keeps his Ruger Single Six .22 Magnum ready to go.

My buddy Mike's got a Kimber Custom II .45 ACP that's treated him right for years, my other friend Scott has a Glock 21 and a Ruger Blackhawk single-action in .357 Magnum.

Ryan, whom I've known since the third grade has both an honest-to-God sword and a Sig P6 (former West German P225) 9mm.

Me?  My carry piece is a scandium-framed, commander-sized Smith & Wesson 1911 .45 ACP and sometimes I like to change it up and pack my Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum.  I generally have a rifle on hand as well.  Up north, I leaned on my Smith & Wesson M&P15T with mounted X300.  Down here in Cali, I've got a .308 Springfield Armory SOCOM M1A.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 9:21:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Dad-M1Garand/his M.P. .45acp S&W revolver/12 ga trench gun I gave him a few years ago.
He has also started the cowboy action stuff with a pair of .45LC revolvers Patton style.
Inlaws-Hunting rifles/shotguns and a mini 14.
Uncle-got my grandfathers collection including many S&W revolvers from the 60's and a few "bring backs"from his time in the service.
Link Posted: 5/17/2008 9:36:20 PM EDT
[#24]
My pop has a Glock 22 with him at all times.  Mom has a Beretta .25 auto.  It was my pop's back-up gun when he was a LEO.  He isn't a gun nut, but has acquired some nice weapons over the years.  My brother has a Kel-Tec P11 that I gave him.
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#25]
My dad uses an XD 9 sub compact or a Win Super X2 Tactical 12 ga.
My mom uses some sort of (H&R?) revolver in .22 Mag
Link Posted: 5/18/2008 11:02:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Fudd guns, the empty kind with ammo in a seperate room.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 4:33:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Dad keeps a Winchester thurty-thurty angle eject loaded and ready to go. He's also got an 870 wingmaster that he keeps handy. All the others are locked up/seperated from ammo.

He also keeps a S&W Highway Patrolman .357mag in his truck for his pseudo attempt at CCW (he doesn't carry in a holster outside of the truck).

My mom knows how to use the above.

My brother is a freshman in college, he's into getting laid and getting drunk. Self defense/guns aren't on the radar right now...

My wife uses whatever AR is on her side of the bed

My inlaws hardly lock their doors at night/arm their security system. They are pro gun, have shotguns, and pistols and a .22lr rifle of some kind, just very niave (sp?) about self defense/not being foolhardy.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#28]
The only other male in my family that has guns is my brother in law but he's in NY and has nothing but bolt action hunting rifles, is a Fudd and supports that evil Clinton whore, so I'm not counting on much from him.
I've tried to get my sister (his wife) to buy a good defensive semi auto rifle or shotgun for herself to even to just have around in case but it's going right in one ear and out the other.
They do want pistols now but are crying about NY laws having moved and been living there for a few years now from FL, but don't want to even take the effort to deal with NY's licensing for it.
Their a lost cause in a lot of ways and I've stopped wasting my breath on them.
He's ex-Army too like me, but he's a Fudd where I am not.
The rest of my immediate family is all women as my father died when I was 16.

I've tried to get my mother and one of my other sisters to atleast buy a pistol in quite a few discussion of shtf even in just the home broken into sense, but it's the same. I'll do what I can to protect their stupid asses, if I can with distance, driving and even being able to for those that are close, but in a lot of ways I've had to just accept their sheep waiting to be slaughtered.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#29]
mother and father (now divorced) have a pumpgun each at their house (she-20ga, he-12ga.) The rest are sheep.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Grandpa used a beretta .380. now my dad uses it.

uncle = .357 smith

other uncle = colt 1911

3rd uncle = Glock 17

Mom = soon to have .357 and keeps a 12ga break open in the closet.

my sister does not belive any harm will ever come to her.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#31]
ALL of my relatives are dead.  I guess they should have been armed.

MadDog
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 5:57:40 PM EDT
[#32]
My grandfather had a Browning .22 pistol.  I inherited it.

My dad has a wide variety of weapons (more than me, and I'm no slacker) but he's a wheelgun guy.  He usually has his j-frame Smith in his pocket or the console of his truck, and also frequently carries either a Smith 686 or a 66, both with 4" barrels.  

My stepdad keeps a Glock 17 in his nightstand - it used to be a Ruger Security Six.

My brother usually has his Smith 19 with a 2.5 in barrel (I bought it for his 21st birthday) in his truck or nightstand - his wife won't let him CCW, though.  He's also got a pile of guns, but he's not as crazy about them as me.  The rest of my relatives?  Not a gun amongst 'em, except for my uncle who commited suicide - he had the Smith 66 that my dad has now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#33]
As far as I know. I have the only weapons in the family with the exception of my Dad keeping one of his S&W model 10's when he turned his collection over to me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#34]
For relatives and nonrelatives around here, it seems most use either the ubiquitous 870 or an older side by side.

Probably the most common I know of.

Doc
Link Posted: 5/19/2008 7:37:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Mother: Springfield XD-9 Service Model

Step-Father: S&W Model 10 & Remington 870HD

Father-In-Law: Beretta 92FS & Remington 870 Express

Brother-In-Law: Remington 870 Express

Cousin (got me into AR-15s): Bushmaster M4gery & Glock 19/23

Thats about the only family that actually uses/likes firearms. I do have a uber-hunting uncle, but I don't know what he has.

Link Posted: 5/19/2008 10:40:14 PM EDT
[#36]
My grandmother has a Ruger Blackhawk .357 magnum loaded with snakeshot last time i looked and my sister has a 20 guage 870 with target loads. Im the only one that has shot both of them just to do a function check.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 11:18:49 AM EDT
[#37]
moi:

CCW: 2 1/2" bobbed model 19

HD: glock 23 w/lamp
870 with some necessary evils strapped to it

Found it amusing me and my dad both liked the same guns for different missions.  Never noticed that.

Daddio (deceased)
CCW: glock 23

DUTY: issued glock 21c
issued Colt M4 style carbine (not flat top)
issued Rem 870

HD: 2 1/2" Bobbed Model 19
Pistol gripped Mossberg

Uncle Sebestian:

CCW: Ballester Molina .45 with home made grips
-or-
Ruger p89

HD:SKS

gramps
HD: 6" Model 19

Auntie
HD: 4" S&W model 10

the GF
my High Power if I don't keep an eye out.

Quite the family of lead slingers, dont fuck with my sister either, shes fond of dad's ruger redhawk and my ak.
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#38]
height=8
Quoted:
Yep. In a florida trailer park in the late 60's or early 70's.  Biker gang rolled in and basically took over the park. Grandfather stepped outside to confront some of them and ended up shooting one of them in the heart with a .32acp. Great grandmother dropped the next two with 180Gn JSP .38-40's. Both guns seized as evidence. No charges filed. Got the rifle back eventually but for some reason the Walther was never returned. She was a tough old bird who lived into her 90's

Too late for MS Paint I guess? Oh well...
Link Posted: 5/20/2008 11:59:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Most of mine are not armed.  My dad is.  He has a S&W 686.  He owns several rifles, but they are not loaded nor particularly fit for defensive purposes against non-groundhogs.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 9:47:38 AM EDT
[#40]
My wife prefers my 9mm AR carbine and Glock 19.

My dad usually use his WWII era M1 carbine with AK-47 and Sig P229 .357 Sig as backups, he was a WWII veteran with the US Army 11th Airborne (Pacific war).

My mom prefers my dad's .32 pistols but she could shoot the carbines and AKs.

An uncle also his M1 carbine with Browning 9mm pistol backup.

Another uncle a .38 cal. revolver.

Several nephews mostly AKs, they're still young and could only afford them for now.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#41]
The guns on the hips of cops. They don't believe in self protection.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 1:13:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Dad has a S&W 686 that I traded him for a car.

Wife has whatever is handy, she likes the SU-16B and is most comfortable with it.

Sis is a 2nd degree black belt in TKD, competes in WTF and ITF, and should have her 3rd degree shortly.  I tell her this isn't so great against projectile weapons outside of arm's reach, however most gunfights happen at arm's reach, and her less lethal options are probably more practical than my Fox and CCW.

Mom's in bad health, on oxygen, no defense options.  She's not going to be around much longer, so I guess it's mostly moot.

MIL and BILs live in NYC and law abiding, so pretty much nothing.

I'm the only one in my family with a CCW.  

Link Posted: 5/21/2008 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#43]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

My great grandmother used a Winchester 1894 .38-40. She killed dozens of deer, two bikers and one deer hunting trailer with that gun. I still have it and it still has the evidence control number engraved with an electric pencil in the reciver! h

that's freaking awesome. My dad will stick with his stag arms Righty, with eo-tech and all the goodies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#44]
I'm the only one in my family that has firearms.  They all think I'm somewhat of a nut.  At the last family gathering I was telling my brother in law about shooting a Uzi SMG.  He looked at me with a shocked look on his face and told me those are illegal.  He was even more shocked to find out that they are perfectly legal to own.  It was great!  He is a Hillary, Obama loving ass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2008 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Dad has a Sig 9mm 229. He thinks the .357Sig is too snappy, but his backup is a Ruger Security Six .357 Magnum.

Both brother-in-laws have nothing but garden tools. Brother living in St Louis has Mace only.

My sister-in-laws at least have Rossi .38's.
Link Posted: 5/22/2008 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 5:49:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Dad: No gun. Keeps a hatchet handy. Truth is, he is a wiry old bird and I wouldn't want to be the first home invader through the door.

BIL #1: Many Fudd guns and a few not. Keeps a Chief's Special handy.

BIL #2: So pacified that he might give his wife and home to the first home invader that asks nicely.

Quoted:
Fudd guns, the empty kind with ammo in a seperate room.

I have distant relatives that are well stocked with Fudd guns. At least they have loaded mags (empty chambers). In fact, their theory is that if you pick up any gun at their house and the mag isn't loaded then somebody has screwed up big time.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#48]
My Aunt and Uncle, my Dad's sister and her husband. They live in FL and AZ and both have CCWs. My Uncle joined the Army for WW2 and was injured in jump school and spent the rest of the war behind a desk. I think my Uncle carries a Colt 1911 and my Aunt some sort of a .380. At home they keep a single barrel break action 20 gauge and I think they have a rimfire pistol and revolver.

My cousin, my Dad's grandmother's sister's son. He lives in AZ and has a CCW. Vietnam vet who joined the Marines because he wanted to shoot machine guns. I am unsure about the handgun he carries. I met him only once and went shooting with him and he has a true arsenal. Everything from muzzleloaders to NFA to ammo he bought in the 70's and 80's.

My Dad has a very old shotgun that he keeps simply because it was his grandfathers.

The rest of them are sheep.
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I'm the only person in my family that is into guns at all.

The rest of them are effed I guess.
Link Posted: 5/26/2008 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#50]
A number of my cousins, like me, are very adequately armed.
My dad, who only had a few rimfires and a very old S&W top break revolver in .38 S&W, recently bought a Hi-point 9mm for HD - not the most impressive gun in the world but it seems to work.
My brother-in-law used to have a short-barreled .22 revolver of some kind but I bet he's probably pawned it by now.
My brother and his wife seem to think a gun in house would be more dangerous than the possibility of a criminal in the house
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top