Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2008 7:17:10 PM EDT
I do plan on getting the ACR/Masada. But until then I just can't make up my mind between MSAR or SIG 556. Give me your thoughts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 7:40:35 PM EDT
[#1]
both are nice, from what i here saber defence is going to be putting out aug A3 using styer tooling?  not sure when but i really like the a3.

Link Posted: 5/9/2008 7:40:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I find the "AUG" platform much more interesting than the Sig 556, but neither is a bad choice.

I'm picking up a FN PS90 and GSG-5 soon, and then i'll probably get a FN FS2000.  

I want an AUG bad, but figure that the FN being an imported gun could be "banned" from importation if the Dems win.
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I just picked up my STG-556 about aweek ago.  It is a good bit shorter than a standard M4. It also feels very light.  I have had by far the best customer service with MSAR than any other company anywhere. THe SIG is nice but being a fan of the AUG type rifle I went with the STG-556.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 12:56:13 AM EDT
[#4]
The MSAR is the shit! I have an STG 556 and love it!
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#5]
MSAR.

It is definetly different.

Max
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 7:56:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I find the "AUG" platform much more interesting than the Sig 556, but neither is a bad choice.

I'm picking up a FN PS90 and GSG-5 soon, and then i'll probably get a FN FS2000.  

I want an AUG bad, but figure that the FN being an imported gun could be "banned" from importation if the Dems win.

I have a PS90 it's very nice I think you'll lke it. I played with a GSG-5 and can not pay for the airsoft feel of that gun. I'm not bashing, just my take on it.
I do like the FS2000 but I find it very bulky and IMO the AUG is better choice.

I think if there's another ban it won't matter if it's an import or not.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a PS90 it's very nice I think you'll lke it. I played with a GSG-5 and can not pay for the airsoft feel of that gun. I'm not bashing, just my take on it.
I do like the FS2000 but I find it very bulky and IMO the AUG is better choice.

I think if there's another ban it won't matter if it's an import or not.

A dem president could ban the importation of weapons with just a signature, where a outright ban would take an act of congress.
Link Posted: 5/10/2008 8:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes I guess you are correct about that. Good reason to buy more.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I figure by the time I fix up the Sig it will cost just as much as the STG-556. Also the STG-556 will cause me to start another new mag collection.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both, and I would get the MSAR STG 556.

The AUG is something different.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Easy choice for me here in CT.

MSAR STG556, shoots great, handles great, looks great.

SIG556 - can't buy in CT, banned by name.
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#13]
My vote is for the STG 556 and I'll give you my reasoning anyways on why.

1.  The SIG while slightly cheaper has the charging handle on the right side. This is a total deal breaker for me since I'm right handed and my right hand stays on the pistol grip during loaded and reloads. If you have optics (even if you don't) having to reach over the rifle to operate the charging handle is a PITA in my opinion.

2.  The MSAR is toolless and has the fastest quick change barrel you'll ever find. This makes it a transformer of firearms with the ability to go to a 20" barrel without any special tools, knowledge beyond reading the instruction manual, and without any waste of time. Soon they'll have the 14" barrels out as well if you feel like an SBR.  Caliber conversions for a 6.8 SPC are on the way in the not too distant future as well.

3.  Shorter overall length and better balance..  The best thing about the MSAR is that you don't have to SBR it to get it below the 30" mark and you don't have to go with a shorter barrel giving up velocity on your .223 or 5.56 ammo.  That's an awesome thing for us civilians. Suddenly not only do you have a VERY short overall length ideal for home-defense, but you've got the full power of the .223 or 5.56 round with the velocity ideal for lethal results and accuracy.  The bullpup configuration just gives you an excellent Home Defense Rifle that can be used just as well for SHTF.  The SIG like many traditional rifles is front heavy.  Start slapping on a rail system and accessories forward of the trigger and suddenly you're support arm is going to be taking on a lot more weight. It's all about weight distribution really, because it is a heck of a lot easier to have both arms divide the weight 50/50 than have the majority of the weight all on one arm.  If you have to hold an intruder with the rifle at the ready the MSAR doesn't require a low ready you can stay right on target longer with less fatigue.   Snap drills and shots with the MSAR are a dream really the rifle shoulders extremely well.  The MSAR always wants to rise up to your shoulder and its very natural.  

4. I feel there is much less muzzle rise as well with the bullpup platform of the MSAR. The MSAR is just excellent for follow-up shots and I get my best groups with this platform off the bench than I do with my traditional configuration rifles.  

5.  The MSAR is just plain fun. There is no mistaking its shape for anything other than an AUGish rifle.  It turns heads and is just fun too shoot.  It defintely rounds out a collection well.

But, too each their own. I'm not a SIG fan, but not for any real reason other than they just don't float my boat.  If you're a SIG fan or you like traditional rifles because of the asier reloads or ability to do weak side transitions easily than go with the SIG. The SIG is a fine rifle. When it came time though for me to lay my money down I went with the MSAR.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 8:22:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Easy choice for me here in CT.

MSAR STG556, shoots great, handles great, looks great.

SIG556 - can't buy in CT, banned by name.

Oh man I am sorry to hear that

I could understand the SIG 550 and 551 listed by name, but why would the 556 makes the list?

What about the NY legal 556?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Get the Sig now and wait to see if the real Aug comes out, if it doesnt then get the AXR later.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:24:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I saw one of the new sigs with the CTR and non railed handguard and it was BADASS!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I have both an STG and a SIG556. I like both for different reasons but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the STG. Trigger could be improved and I wish it took P-mags but overall it's one of the best finished weapons I've owned.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:47:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I have both an STG and a SIG556. I like both for different reasons but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with the STG. Trigger could be improved and I wish it took P-mags but overall it's one of the best finished weapons I've owned.

You can fix the pmag problem with an AXR from TPD.

All that the AUG is and M16 mag compatible...

TPDUSA
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#19]
For my AWB crappy state the choice was simple for me, SIG, since the STG can't take STANAG mags.  I really like the bullpup design but I do find mag changes very odd which would still be my hesitation if I could get 30 rounders for it here.

However, Tactical Product Design has built a beautiful AUG clone, the AXR, which does take STANAG mags!  The only downside is they simply can't meet the demand and are on quite a long backorder.  If I were able to walk in to a shop and have both the SIG and the AXR side-by-side it would have been a much tougher choice.  I still think I would have gone with the SIG simply because it's a platform I'm more comfortable with, but I know I'll be getting an AXR in the future (the ARFCOM answer is always "get both"!)

Here is some comparisons between the SIG and the MSAR...

SIG556
Pros
- High availability
- Familiar design
- Takes the standard STANAG AR mags
- AK-style action, piston driven, extremely reliable
- Excellent factory trigger
- Ambidextrous safety
- Great barrel, very accurate right out of the box (with the right ammo)
- Integrated BUIS

Cons
- Base model is fairly expensive
- Lacks aftermarket addons, expensive to upgrade
- Base handguards make the rifle pretty barrel heavy
- Some QC issues with the front rail being loose
- Forward take-down pin is poorly designed (double screw heads), aftermarket pin is highly recommended

Other Info
- Being a 1/7 twist barrel, some people have had issues with shooting 55 grain XM193 style loads which may hurt your pocketbook since it's definitely cheaper than buying M855 / Mk262.  However, it shoots Mk262 and the M856 tracer beautifully while gobbling M855 without any hiccups.
- For states with an AWB, your FFL will have to pin the stock and remove the flash suppressor with a break and weld it.  This adds to the base cost.

MSAR STG
Pros
- Bullpup design, very compact
- Integrated optic option nice for an out of the box, ready to go rifle (although most buy the flattop to save money and get glass they want)
- Integrated BUIS
- Short-stroke, gas-piston operating system; very reliable and clean
- Barrel swap is awesome and easily accomplished with a simple release and twist system
- High availability

Cons
- Mag changes awkward due to the bullpup design; training may overcome this
- Takes proprietary mags
- Expensive out of the box
- Moderate complains about feeding issues, YMMV
- Very few aftermarket accessories available (much less than even the SIG)

Other Info
- Twist rate for each barrel: 1/7 -> 14", 1/8 -> 16", 1/9" -> 20" and 24"
- Optics attach fairly high compared to the SIG above the bore, haven't had any issue in my limited time with it, but may be a concern to some
- Coming soon will be a NATO compliant stock which will take the STANAG mags.

To me the AUG is sexy, cool,  and is on my "to-buy" list, but it's more of a range toy to me than an actual field rifle.  Either will treat you well, and if you happen to have a few AR platform rifles than the AUG becomes very attractive.  For me, I was looking for something more along the lines of a SHTF gun which is why I went with the SIG.  You have to ask yourself what you want out of your rifle and the choice will become clearer.

Enjoy whichever you choose!
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:17:21 AM EDT
[#20]
i vote sig,

i love the AUG but i think that right now its really hard to beat the sig, thats untill the SCARs or ACR get here and that not going to be at least 6 month

heres mine

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#21]
I vote Sig 556.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Is Atlantic Firearms selling STG's yet? I know they were looking at having them for under $1600 (I want to say like $1550).

Link Posted: 6/6/2008 12:50:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm sure at that price it would be for the railed model. I think I would go for the optic model.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Proprietary mags for the MSAR=Suck however I hear reports the Sig 556 is unreliable when hot or when round counts get high.

I'd hold out for an AXR or AUG variant that takes NATO mags.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:40:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Get the MSAR and be the coolest dude on the range
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Proprietary mags for the MSAR=Suck however I hear reports the Sig 556 is unreliable when hot or when round counts get high.

I've read a ton of reports and info. on the Sig  556 and never heard anything like that.  I've owned 3 without issue.  My current 556 ran 600 rds. without a single failure straight out of the box in its first range session.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've read a ton of reports and info. on the Sig  556 and never heard anything like that.  I've owned 3 without issue.  My current 556 ran 600 rds. without a single failure straight out of the box in its first range session.

I have not experience any stoppages of any kind with my SIG rifles.  In the past year the SIG 556 has pretty much proven itself to be a solid shooter in all conditions.. which is no real surprise considering its design.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#28]
MSAR definetly. As far as the feeding issues goes, those were smoothed out 100% when the upgrades were done. Since the upgrades I have never heard of a bad range report with regard to an MSAR STG556.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top