Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2008 8:23:38 AM EDT
I've been looking for a big bore gun and have pretty much settled on a modern 45-70.

The 1895XLR seems to be what I want, it has a strong action for hot loads but not as strong as a Ruger #1 single shot.

Of the folks that have shot a 1895XLR, what did you think of it, good and bad?
Are there any special issues reloading for 45-70?

I would probably get some trigger work done and a peep sight put on, I'm not a fan of buckhorn sights.

Gringop

Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't shot an 1895XLR, but a friend of mine has a regular old blued 1895 in .45-70.  And my oh my, it's a frickin' hoot.  Kicks like a fucking mule off a bench, not so bad when standing, and scary accurate.  I thought the trigger as-is was pretty nice, however the action could probably stand to be slickened up a little - maybe that'll come with more use, I dunno.  I got full and every intention of owning my own 1895 here soon though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top