Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 7:07:32 PM EDT
My budget is 1k, +/- $200.  I have a preference right now for semi-auto's that might become unavailable if the democrats win in the fall.  Here's what I have now, what should I buy next and why?
AR-15's - bushmaster, oly M4's, 2 DPMS stripped lowers, 1 oly 9mm glock car
JLD PTR 91 w/ retractable stock
Springfield SOCOM M1a
Sig 556
2 Yugo underfolder AK-47's
AMD-65
SA M1 Garand
I'm running out of room in the fun safe, so I'm trying to be a little more discerning, but I don't like to break the bank with purchases.
I'm thinking FAL or higher end AK, am I missing anything?
Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#1]
a good FAL or PTR-91, i prefer the FAL due to cleaning ease and disassembly, plus i just like a solid receiver.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:53:08 PM EDT
[#2]
SVD as long as you can find some ammo
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've already got the PTR-91, though I may pick up a spare fixed stock set for it.  The FAL is a possibility, although locally they are hard to find to examine prior to purchase.
The SVD is intriguing, quick look at gunbroker indicates I might have to settle for the romanian version.  Any experience with it personally?  Is the fit/finish better than typical romak AK's I've seen recently?  Can I get a better deal than gunbroker would lead be to believe on a non romanian SVD type rifle?

Other possibles - an arsenal RPK type rifle at local gun store, only downside is 5.56 chambering rather than 7.62x39mm.
Thanks for input.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Well so far you are off to a great start.
I myself am looking into a semi 308 and thinking a DSA FAL.
You however already have a SOCOM16 so I would give another M1A serious thought.
ETA:You already have 3 rifles I see in 7.62X39 and a NM M1A just looks great next to a M1Garand
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone should own at least two FALs one standard and one para carbine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:36:41 AM EDT
[#6]
GSG-5  FOR THE WIN!!!!

You don't seem to have a .22lr in your inventory, and with ammo prices going up, the new German imported GSG-5 is going for right at $500. You get a 16" rifle that looks like a supressed MP-5 and it takes cheap .22lr ammo.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Pick up a couple AK74s and all the cheap ammo you can afford.

I'm getting it for right at $.12/round delivered.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 5:33:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got .22's in the collection, have shot them since I was a kid, don't actually get as much value out of that practice now as I do with full power rounds.  So I'll skip the upgraded .22.
The AK-74 is an option from a cheap ammo perspective, but ballistically I don't think it  buys me anymore than my AR's.  So I might be better off pouring that cash into reloading supplies for the 5.56.
I'm thinking it will be either SVD, FAL, or if I can find an older M1A standard or match, I'll go that route.  I've got a ton of mags for my SOCOM, so another rifle wouldn't be bad.  
Thanks for the input.  Next time I'll include pics of the collection.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top