Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2007 9:33:24 AM EDT
First of all, this is a great rifle...if you have one, post your pics....if you dont have one...get one!

I scooped up this gem a few years ago...  (bad dark picture but its what I have)

For years I had seen the Savage version in shops but I hadnt come across one of these.....

There are many armoror marking on the weapon, including the BNP (British Nitro Proof) markings, the caliber and pressure ratings on the barrel, the S/N stamped on the mag, reciever, and bolt (and they all match!!!)

Had a question about two markings...one is in this picture...

You can make a "BW" with an "S" under it...then very faintly in the wood is a "12" with a "53" under that. Any ideas what they could be?

There is also a diamond shaped stamped into the steel on the mag well...what does that signify?

These are very fon rifles to own and to shoot...still a great range gun, and a piece of history as well!

Dont know why, I just love the No. 5
This particular one doesnt seem have any 'wandering zero' issues...I can hit a pie plate all day long. maybe its the flash supressor or the stock...something about this profile just has personality.

Let see your SMLE's - especially those No. 5's
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Got mine a few years back too. I would sell all my other C&R rifle before I sell the No.5, there's just something inherently lovable about it. Along with an AR/AK and a 10/22 I place the No.5 right up there for a SHTF rifle. Matter of fact, a No.5 is an awesome SHTF general purpose rifle. If I ever "bug out" with the family I would be carrying the No.5 and leave the semi's to the others not so experienced shooters.

Compare an M44 and the NO.5 side by side and you can tell how much more thought went into the No.5 than the boomstick "F-the-recruit" M44.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:55:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't have an Enfield carbine, but my dad shot his sporterized Enfield at the 600 yesterday. Wolf Gold 174gr FMJ, set the elevation to 600 and his first shot was on target (the target to the left, but still impressive). After he kentucky windaged the thing, his next shot was on target. I was pretty impressed.

Where can I find a No. 5?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine:

I like a challange and kept it. It cleaned up well - although it was COVERED in rust, there wasn't that much pitting, and the wood wasn't all that bad.

I'll have to snap a new picture of it.

Av.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top