Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/30/2007 6:22:22 AM EDT
I've decided to finally get a safe, and having a place to put it has been a dilemma. I thought about putting it in my garage, that way I could have as big a safe as I wanted and it would be out of the way. I also have a plan to disguise what it actually is.

Anyway, would there be a huge problem with humidity since my garage isn't climate controlled? We keep the door down 99.9% of the time, and even in the hot of summer or the cold of winter the temperature stays fairly comfortable. The bonus of keeping it in the garage is that it would be easier to bolt down to the floor and it wouldn't be near any water heater. Also, I don't keep any power tools in my garage should an intruder decide to break in and use my own tools against the safe. I don't own anything powerful enough to get in a safe anyway, other than a cordless drill and circular saw.

As soon as I can find a good place to put the safe, I can actually start making the decision of what safe to get. In my recent researching of gun safes I have found it to be more confusing than buying a new car.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#1]
There are plenty of devices that can help with humidity, but the big problem is the safe being stolen.  My safe is in the basement, with no door or window out from the basement.  To steel my safe someone would have to lift it, full of guns, ammo, gold and silver and other heavy things, up, around a tight corner, up a flight of stairs, around a tight corner, up another step, around another corner, then down 3 steps.

In a garage, they can back a truck up, load it, and worry about breaking into it later.

So if you are going to put it in a garage, bolt it to the wall and nail it to the concrete floor.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 6:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, that would be the only thing. It would make it easier to get the safe out. Although my truck would be in the way because I drive my wife's old car to work, but they could just find the keys and steal the truck and the safe right along with it.

Luckily for us someone is at my house almost all the time. While my wife and I are at work, my mom keeps my kids at my house. The times when no one is at my house is usually weekends during the day. Statistically I don't know when most break-ins occur.

The one spot I have for a safe in the house is our walk-in closet, but it will take some serious re-arranging to accomplish this. Not to mention the obvious space it will take up.

My house is isolated enough from everyone else it doesn't matter what kind of safe I get or where I put it. A thief could used dynamite to open it and no one would know. My closest neighbor is an elderly woman who lives alone, and she lives across the road more than 200 yards away. The next closest neighbor is through the woods about 400 yards away.

Really fire protection and child safety are the primary goals for getting a safe, but I would like to at least cause a thief to go on to something else that's easier to replace.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Mine has been in the garage for 20 years. I use a golden rod and have never had a problem with rust.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mine has been in the garage for 20 years. I use a golden rod and have never had a problem with rust.

Really? Is the humidity bad up there in NJ? That's the main concern I have for putting the safe in the garage. Down here humidity is just awful.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:43:39 AM EDT
[#6]
You may check with your homeowners insurance to be sure it's covered in the garage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Make sure as others have said, that you bolt it to the ground..
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? Is the humidity bad up there in NJ? That's the main concern I have for putting the safe in the garage. Down here humidity is just awful.

Humidity is not the issue.  Controlling it is.  The goldenrod will create the proper temperature differential to prevent humidity.  Use a light coat of oil on your guns and you will have no problems.

I am in AZ where humidity should not be a problem, but out here, we run swamp coolers that add tremendous moisture to the air.  I use a goldenrod and don't have any rust issues at all.  

It cannot be overemphasized:  BOLT IT DOWN!
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I bolted mine down. Used concrete anchors and I put it in a corner where the non hinged side has a wall perpendicular to it.  No one will be able to get a crowbar and pry at the weaker side.  (I does have internal hinges.)

I keep 2 Dri-Z-Air water traps in my garage. They fill up ever couple weeks during rainy periods.  In my safe, I keep 2 larger sized desiccant packs.  One at the top of the safe and one on the bottom.  So far in over a year, I haven't seen any rust.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 11:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bolted mine down. Used concrete anchors and I put it in a corner where the non hinged side has a wall perpendicular to it.  No one will be able to get a crowbar and pry at the weaker side.  (I does have internal hinges.)

I keep 2 Dri-Z-Air water traps in my garage. They fill up ever couple weeks during rainy periods.  In my safe, I keep 2 larger sized desiccant packs.  One at the top of the safe and one on the bottom.  So far in over a year, I haven't seen any rust.

I planned on putting mine in a corner also. Bolting it down to the floor won't be a problem at all. At least in the garage I won't have to worry about drilling or cutting through carpet & padding first.

Hopefully in a few years we are going to build a detached garage and turn our present garage into a big activity room by enclosing it in and making it part of the living space. Even with those plans in mind the safe would still be in a good location.
Link Posted: 11/30/2007 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Don't sit it directly on the concrete or it will rust the bottom. Use some oak/plastic wood (decking) to keep it off the ground and bolt it down.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Don't sit it directly on the concrete or it will rust the bottom. Use some oak/plastic wood (decking) to keep it off the ground and bolt it down.

I'm glad you mentioned that because I was concerned about putting the safe directly on the concrete.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 6:51:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm looking this route, too.  600lbs+ gear in a master bedroom closet just irks me.  I don't want to be sitting at the dining room table and have my babies land on the roast.  
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 8:30:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Make shure you use good hardware to bolt it down. Grade 8 or better. I'm building a garage with a side room and upstairs next year. I'm going to put anchor bolts in the floor for a large safe.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#15]
You should never put your safe in any non climate controlled room, no matter what you have for humidity control in the safe.

You should also put it on a wooden stand like another poster told you.

Don't put it next to your water heater which seems to be the current fad.  
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I have had my safe in the garage for a few years with no problems and I use a golden rod also. Also,bolt it down for good measure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top