Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2007 6:13:18 PM EDT
Dang on!

Had to dremel out the inside that pushes against the trigger guard. That was easy.  Widening out the hole for the bolt to go on a secure it to the rifle was a PITA! Dremel dremel, almost, dremel, almost, dremel, almost.

I finnaly went nuts and made the hole to big. Fricking ruined it.  The nut was going through the hole I made. Not the bolt, the fricking NUT!  Lock washer fixed that problem. I held it by the grip and shook it and it seems solid now.

But I love the results.

Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks great, John
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:20:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Looks great, John

Thanks Rick.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Looks great, John

Thanks Rick.

Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work-that looks sharp.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet this becomes a trend!!!!
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks great!  That's what I want to do.  Why did I ever sell my "extra" MIAD?  
Did you have to shave much material from where the top of the grip mates up to the bottom of the receiver?
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 4:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Looks great!  That's what I want to do.  Why did I ever sell my "extra" MIAD?  
Did you have to shave much material from where the top of the grip mates up to the bottom of the receiver?

Nothing had to be shaved off the top. Just the insides.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 4:59:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks great!  Nice job!!  But, we need pics of the toes!!11one!!111eleven  Socks aren't allowed in arf.com pics!!  
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Looks great!  Nice job!!  But, we need pics of the toes!!11one!!111eleven  Socks aren't allowed in arf.com pics!!  

I'm not wearing socks in those pics. Those are my actual feet. It is a deformity that I have to live with. You see, I have some Scottish in me and, well, there was an incident with a sheep.  Are you making fun of my feet?

Link Posted: 9/5/2007 5:10:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Nice!
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 5:25:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not wearing socks in those pics. Those are my actual feet. It is a deformity that I have to live with. You see, I have some Scottish in me and, well, there was an incident with a sheep.  Are you making fun of my feet?

Link Posted: 9/5/2007 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#13]
How may times are you going to post pictures of that same rifle?
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 7:36:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Did you read the post? At all? Maybe even the title?  I put a new grip on it. It took a lot of work to get that grip on there.

I'll post as many pics as I want to.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 8:18:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did you read the post? At all? Maybe even the title?  I put a new grip on it. It took a lot of work to get that grip on there.

I'll post as many pics as I want to.  

Well I think the rifle looks OK. And I did not see the pic. before. Anyway, good work on customizing it & keep the pictures coming. thnx.
Link Posted: 9/5/2007 4:24:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Very nice!  You also fixed that gap between the trigger guard and grip... sweet!
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Looks great!  I think I'll wait until they come out with the grip for it though.  I'm not that good with a dremmel.  The 550 grip is one of the things I'm not that wrapped up on with this rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks great!!!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 12:23:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Cool, keep us up-to-date on how it holds-up for you.

Link Posted: 9/6/2007 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not even a big Sig 556 fan but that looks like it is more comfortable to shoot.

Good on ya, Mike.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 4:19:53 PM EDT
[#21]
That looks like it's going to pinch the web of your hand.

If you wanted a MIAD, buffer tube and CAR stock you should have stuck with an AR.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
That looks like it's going to pinch the web of your hand.

If you wanted a MIAD, buffer tube and CAR stock you should have stuck with an AR.

Link Posted: 9/6/2007 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Looks good!

Is the background a bedspread?
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Dang on!

Had to dremel out the inside that pushes against the trigger guard. That was easy.  Widening out the hole for the bolt to go on a secure it to the rifle was a PITA! Dremel dremel, almost, dremel, almost, dremel, almost.

I finnaly went nuts and made the hole to big. Fricking ruined it.  The nut was going through the hole I made. Not the bolt, the fricking NUT!  Lock washer fixed that problem. I held it by the grip and shook it and it seems solid now.

But I love the results.

Looks great. You didn't happen to take a pic of the hole you made before you installed it did you?
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm a big fan of the 556, and it looks like you did a good job on the conversion, but I don't think I'm on board for the looks.  I'm sure it's comfortable for you, and that's all the matters!  
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dang on!

But I love the results.

Looks great. You didn't happen to take a pic of the hole you made before you installed it did you?

Nope. Sorry. I should have but I did not think about it.

Page 2!
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Looks good!

Is the background a bedspread?

Pancho liner. I use it as a blanket.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I like it, though it looks a little small without the full-sized backstrap.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Dang on!

But I love the results.

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album61/IMG_1128.jpg

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album61/IMG_1127.jpg

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album61/IMG_1129.jpg

Can use different back straps to tailor the grip to match your hand size, which is the main appeal of the MIAD. Granted you have storage, but the standard SIG grip has storage already.

I guess if you just want to say you can use a MIAD, then the mod works fine. The loss of functionality though...
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:07:00 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I got the idea from this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=155924

You can see that they dremeled one of the full sized backstraps to fit as well...and I may still yet do that.

If I do, I will be sure to post more pictures. Just for scottryan.

Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dang on!

But I love the results.

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album61/IMG_1128.jpg

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album61/IMG_1127.jpg

nullbits.foxxz.net/albums/album61/IMG_1129.jpg

Can use different back straps to tailor the grip to match your hand size, which is the main appeal of the MIAD. Granted you have storage, but the standard SIG grip has storage already.

I guess if you just want to say you can use a MIAD, then the mod works fine. The loss of functionality though...

I don't see it as a loss of functionality. You can still fit it to your hand. Different back sections may require a little more fitting though. From what I saw the one 7kopper (I think) used had a different back section on it. took a little more work but it looked fine to me and seemed to work great.
The standard grip is one thing I'm not completely happy with on mine.
To me any modification you make that makes your weapon more suited to your taste makes it more functional. everyone else may not like it but if it does what you want it to it doesn't really matter as much if someone else doesn't care for it or it doesn't suit them.

Link Posted: 9/7/2007 4:54:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 8:00:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Cool!
I've got baby hands, and the grip is my only complaint on my 556, it keeps me from reaching the safety  w/out adjusting my grip.
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:21:20 PM EDT
[#34]

I don't see it as a loss of functionality. You can still fit it to your hand. Different back sections may require a little more fitting though. From what I saw the one 7kopper (I think) used had a different back section on it. took a little more work but it looked fine to me and seemed to work great.
The standard grip is one thing I'm not completely happy with on mine.
To me any modification you make that makes your weapon more suited to your taste makes it more functional. everyone else may not like it but if it does what you want it to it doesn't really matter as much if someone else doesn't care for it or it doesn't suit them.

+1  
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/7/2007 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#36]
That looks pretty good, and the full size backstrap seems like it mates up to the notch on the lower well..........Magpul might make some especially for the 556 after seeing that

Quoted:

Quoted:

I got the idea from this thread: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=124&t=155924

You can see that they dremeled one of the full sized backstraps to fit as well...and I may still yet do that.

If I do, I will be sure to post more pictures. Just for scottryan.

www.doublediamondsupply.com/photos/magpul004.jpg
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Sweet. I do have question though. Who makes the side-folding stock kit and can you fire the rifle with it folded?
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:35:20 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Sweet. I do have question though. Who makes the side-folding stock kit and can you fire the rifle with it folded?

http://www.rbprecision.com/id51.htm

Three things are needed from the above link.

ARRB- AR receiver block $35.00
SIDE FOLDER MECHANISM $55.00
PIG NOSE AR adapter $19.00
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top