Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 11:01:59 AM EDT
knowing that many people do not like the sig 556, and considering that for about the same amount as an LW piston based rifle, one could buy a sig 556  and the origianl parts required to make the conversion.  

opinion wise,  what would you guys rather have?   if sombody can put up a poll go for it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If the outcome was a near original 551 from a 556 than probably that if it was more of a fun gun since 550's and mags aren't really around and used by alot of people in the US beside the random lucky owner or agency.

If it's for serious use to include being a shtf rifle than the LWRC with all it's common AR parts that can be used, besides AR mags, grips and other accessories.

I'm sorry I just don't like the 556 at all the way it turned out otherwise especially the lack of other grip choices and the lower the way it is.

Either way I find the POF piston AR design much better than the LWRC with it's removable gas plug to clean the cylinder, piston and op rod where you need to remove the handguard for the LWRC to do system maintenance.
I don't like the piston design of the LWRC either also with it's additional spring compared to the very simple and traditional gas cylinder, piston and op rod design of the POF.
The POF also uses a one piece chromeplated bolt carrier, chrome plated bolt and cylinder, besides silicone nickel coating the inside of the upper receiver and charging handle. It's just a much nicer system as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#2]
thats an interesting comment in regards to the POF,  you would think for an extra 500 dollars or so, it would be pretty much bullut proof. none the less i liek both, and if my 10.5 surpressed LMT DI rifle ever gave me a hiccup i would be all over the piston based upper

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not wait and see what LMT brings to the table?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
knowing that many people do not like the sig 556, and considering that for about the same amount as an LW piston based rifle, one could buy a sig 556  and the origianl parts required to make the conversion.  

opinion wise,  what would you guys rather have?   if sombody can put up a poll go for it.

If you think you can build a 55x clone for the cost of a LWRC carbine you're on drugs.

Personally, I would take the LWRC, because even wrapped in 55x furniture you still have a hack job abortion that is inferior to a real swissarms carbine.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The 556 converted or not is the best option.  Save a few hundred bucks for ammo.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Why not wait and see what LMT brings to the table?

+1 if you'd want to wait.

The new LMT MRP piston upper looks pretty nice. I do prefer to not have an extra spring around the op rod/piston that they have and like the POF features and design more still, but it looks to be a very nice design just the same and LMT quality is pretty damn good normally.

Link Posted: 8/14/2007 1:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If you think you can build a 55x clone for the cost of a LWRC carbine you're on drugs.

Personally, I would take the LWRC, because even wrapped in 55x furniture you still have a hack job abortion that is inferior to a real swissarms carbine.

VB - How did I know you'd be here?

To the OP:
Get the 556.  It's a great gun as is.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Where are you guys finding complete LW piston rifles for the same price as a SIG556?
Last I checked the uppers alone cost as much as one of my XCR's. A complete LW rifle at the price of a 556 to me would be the obvious choice unless I have missed something and the price of a LW rifle has dropped.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top