Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2007 2:10:05 PM EDT
an open bolt semi auto rifle for ones own personal use?
I always assumed it would be but now I have my doubts. Can amy of our brighter legal minds help?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:11:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the ATF determines them as Machine guns do the the ease of conversions. The Mac 10 had some semi open bolts a couple decades ago but they later classified them as machine guns due to ease of conversion.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry dude, open bolt is a nogo.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 1:04:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah no dice. Open bolt semi-auto's were banned back in the 80's since they were too easy to convert to auto. However you can find pre-banned semi-auto open bolt guns such as the MAC-10 and Kg-9 pistols, but they are more expensive since they are collectable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 4:43:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, there is nothing that specifically "bans" open bolt firing weapons....it's just that 99.9% of open bolt guns fall within the definition of "readily convertable".

If you designed an open-bolt system that did not meet the "readily convertable "definition, it would be perfectly legal.....but probably more trouble than it was worth!
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#5]
The alphabet boys declared one of their "rulings" that open bolts were no longer permitted, this happened back in the early 1980's. There are some Mac's and a few other factory produced open bolt  floating around that were grandfathered. Saw an open bolt Mac-10 not too long ago, they seem to bring $900 to $1100.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/20/2007 7:08:41 AM EDT
[#6]
So the "readily convertible" clause applies to individuals and not just manufacturers.
Damn....

Thanx for the help guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top