Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2007 6:34:39 PM EDT
So I'm looking for 2 more rifles before going class 3...

I want a M1 Garand and a lever action of some type.

M1 will most likely be a gun show purchase at some point...

The lever action is what's on my plate at the moment.  walking around a gun show today... a LSI puma M92 caught my eye.  I'm thinking either .45 or 30-30.  I'm not looking for a high end collectors piece here... I'm more thinking of the glock of lever guns.  Something functional and looks ok.  So with that in mind is the puma a good gun or should I look into something else?

If I can my goal is to get both the M1 and the lever for less than $1000, so that's my price range.  If I can save some $ on the lever I can get a better M1.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
45-70 Marlin 1895.

Cause sometimes you just want to hold something that can take any land animal on the planet.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#2]
so... I take it that's your recommendation...

what's the price range on that?

also is the puma a Piece of @#$% or is it alright?
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
so... I take it that's your recommendation...

what's the price range on that?

also is the puma a Piece of @#$% or is it alright?

I have fired several lever actions in several calibers.  While 357 is my favorite for doing a lot of shooting, there is something special about that 45-70, and if I only had one lever action, the one pictured above would be it.  I paid $500 for mine new at Galyans, which is now Dicks sporting goods.  You can find them used on the EE for less though.

I know nothing about the Puma.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:20:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got Puma/Rossi, Winchester and Marlin. Get the Marlin. It's better built and more accurate than the others.
Link Posted: 2/26/2007 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I've noticed that most of them say they have a 4 round tube...  Can that be moded like my shotgun... which had a dowel that I had to remove?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 12:32:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up a .44 mag 1894SS Marlin. I wanted a caliber large enough for big game if necessary but also wanted to to be compatible with my .44 mag revolver.

The cross-bolt safety is also easy to disable on a Marlin if you decide you don't like it.

Edit - the 1894 also holds 10+1 shots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top