Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/26/2006 7:56:43 PM EDT
ok,

i konw that the AUG has a combat proven record but what does it offer over the FN FS2000? i know that the AUG is currently a more relible weapon as the FN is brand new, so outside of relibility could anybody give me some pro and cons of each

I love bullpups, but i find myself leaning towards the new technology of fs2000, am i making the wrong decion?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go for the FS2000.  The only feature the AUG has that the FS2000 lacks is a quick-change barrel.  However, I do not see this as an issue, because the FS2000 already features a full length barrel in a small package, so I on't see a need to change barrel length.

I simply prefer the selector, rail system, mag release, charging handle, iron sights, and forward ejection of the FS2000.

HTH
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Down Side of the FN FS2000:

No rail accessory system is currently offered beyond the picatinny rail on top of the rifle.  There are foregrips that have lights, but they are to hard to find to purchase and very expensive.  

The MAG release on the FN FS2000 sucks.  You have to pull very hard on the mag to have it release.

The thickness of the FN FS2000 requires that some users really crane their necks to use sights whether going with the iron ones or after market optics.  

The dust cover on the forward ejection of the FN FS2000 is a thin plastic and you can bend it with your fingers very easily.  Doubt it would last too long under great amounts of stress.

The barrel of the FN FS2000 has some wobble when fired.  Although it has not yet proven to effect the accuracy or function of the weapon.

There have been many complaints about polymer not being as robust as the AUG by many who own both.

The Flashhider on the FN FS2000 is fixed and can not be removed.  It takes great expense and time to change the barrel and add a flashhider.  

The trigger is heavy.  Although so is the AUG at least there is an after market "trigger tammer" that brings the AUG's pull down to around 5 lbs.

Up Side to the FN FS2000

Forward ejection means that you can shoot this rifle as easily weak sided as you can strong.  In other words if your right side is injured you can switch to the left side.  In addition, some like to practice the weak side switch when taking corner in CQB, but those who instruct for a living have dismissed that practice and the USMC no longer teaches it.

It is lighter than the AUG.  

It is like the AUG well balanced and you could shoot the rifle one handed if you needed to.

Currently the FN FS2000 is available for purchase brand new whereas currently all AUGs are either all together used, old and never used (NIB), or old with newer parts that are for sale.  The AUG also currently is much more expensive than the FN FS2000.  However, two American companies have announced plans to release American built AUGs and there have been rumors that Steyr Arms may be able to release the AUG in some form next year here for sale.  

The FN FS2000 is not combat tested and as of now I am only aware of one military adopting it as their official infantry rifle.  Of course, the weapon has only been around for less than seven years.

Down Side to the AUG:

Although the AUG can be configured for left handed shooters it can not be switched as easily from strong to weak side as the FN FS2000.  Of course, as stated many believe that shooting weak side is so ineffective in terms of accuracy and in CQB situation (where switching would require taking off your tactical sling) that it should be avoided.  You can always fire the AUG one handed with your weak side if you needed suppression fire to retreat to safety rather than shoulder firing it as chances are you wont hit much even with a weak sided shouldered weapon.

Magazines and parts are expensive right now for the AUG.

Right now AUGs are very expensive going from $2000 for a USR to as high as $7000 for an AUG A2.  

The iron sights on the AUG suck IMHO.  

The Up Side to the AUG:

Rail systems are available for the AUG from B&T and will soon be made available by American producers.  However, the B&T rails are expensive, but you can put better iron sights on them, which is a huge plus.

The AUG has a Last Round Bolt Hold Open meaning that when you fire the last round the bolt stay open alerting you to the fact that you're out of ammo and making it faster to reload.  A lot of folks like that feature.

The AUG is fielded by a long list of Western Nations and is combat proven in every type of environment on earth.  It isn’t going out on a limb to say that the  AUG is the most reliable and successful bullpup to date.  

The AUG has a wide trigger guard that allows the whole hand to fit within and makes it much easier to shoot with winter or protective gloves on.  

The AUG's 1.5x scope is so tough they have run trucks over them to prove this and they were still 100%.  Probably one of the toughest optics out there and it does not lose its zero even after heavy and sustained fire.  

There were three members of Steyr Mannlicher that were credited for design of the AUG and at least one of them has gone on to design the HK G-36.  I have no idea who the lead designers on the FN FS2000 project are and what they have done in the past or are doing now.  

Again...American companies are claiming that they will produce American AUGs here in the United States.  This will make the purchase of parts, accessories, and legal issues much easier to deal with for the consumer.  Plus, you'll be supporting an American company that provides American jobs while having an awesome rifle...can't beat that.

The AUG A1 and A2 have quick change barrels and the USR can be configured to have a quick change barrel.  That means in a matter of seconds you can switch out barrels for whatever length you may want.

The AUG mags are some of the best magazines I've ever used.  They have a reputation for being reliable and I've never seen any complaint about a failure caused by an AUG mag or experienced one myself.

Now I’ll admit I love the AUG and therefore may be bias.  I may also be missing some things about the FN FS2000 or even the AUG, but I’m sure other folks will add some information for you.  I think both are awesome weapons and you should get whatever you feel most comfortable buying.  Firearms are like gloves there is no one size fits all.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Down Side of the FN FS2000:

No rail accessory system is currently offered beyond the picatinny rail on top of the rifle.  There are foregrips that have lights, but they are to hard to find to purchase and very expensive.  

The MAG release on the FN FS2000 sucks.  You have to pull very hard on the mag to have it release.

The thickness of the FN FS2000 requires that some users really crane their necks to use sights whether going with the iron ones or after market optics.  

The dust cover on the forward ejection of the FN FS2000 is a thin plastic and you can bend it with your fingers very easily.  Doubt it would last too long under great amounts of stress.

The barrel of the FN FS2000 has some wobble when fired.  Although it has not yet proven to effect the accuracy or function of the weapon.

There have been many complaints about polymer not being as robust as the AUG by many who own both.

The Flashhider on the FN FS2000 is fixed and can not be removed.  It takes great expense and time to change the barrel and add a flashhider.  

The trigger is heavy.  Although so is the AUG at least there is an after market "trigger tammer" that brings the AUG's pull down to around 5 lbs.

Up Side to the FN FS2000

Forward ejection means that you can shoot this rifle as easily weak sided as you can strong.  In other words if your right side is injured you can switch to the left side.  In addition, some like to practice the weak side switch when taking corner in CQB, but those who instruct for a living have dismissed that practice and the USMC no longer teaches it.

It is lighter than the AUG.  

It is like the AUG well balanced and you could shoot the rifle one handed if you needed to.

Currently the FN FS2000 is available for purchase brand new whereas currently all AUGs are either all together used, old and never used (NIB), or old with newer parts that are for sale.  The AUG also currently is much more expensive than the FN FS2000.  However, two American companies have announced plans to release American built AUGs and there have been rumors that Steyr Arms may be able to release the AUG in some form next year here for sale.  

The FN FS2000 is not combat tested and as of now I am only aware of one military adopting it as their official infantry rifle.  Of course, the weapon has only been around for less than seven years.

Down Side to the AUG:

Although the AUG can be configured for left handed shooters it can not be switched as easily from strong to weak side as the FN FS2000.  Of course, as stated many believe that shooting weak side is so ineffective in terms of accuracy and in CQB situation (where switching would require taking off your tactical sling) that it should be avoided.  You can always fire the AUG one handed with your weak side if you needed suppression fire to retreat to safety rather than shoulder firing it as chances are you wont hit much even with a weak sided shouldered weapon.

Magazines and parts are expensive right now for the AUG.

Right now AUGs are very expensive going from $2000 for a USR to as high as $7000 for an AUG A2.  

The iron sights on the AUG suck IMHO.  

The Up Side to the AUG:

Rail systems are available for the AUG from B&T and will soon be made available by American producers.  However, the B&T rails are expensive, but you can put better iron sights on them, which is a huge plus.

The AUG has a Last Round Bolt Hold Open meaning that when you fire the last round the bolt stay open alerting you to the fact that you're out of ammo and making it faster to reload.  A lot of folks like that feature.

The AUG is fielded by a long list of Western Nations and is combat proven in every type of environment on earth.  It isn’t going out on a limb to say that the  AUG is the most reliable and successful bullpup to date.  

The AUG has a wide trigger guard that allows the whole hand to fit within and makes it much easier to shoot with winter or protective gloves on.  

The AUG's 1.5x scope is so tough they have run trucks over them to prove this and they were still 100%.  Probably one of the toughest optics out there and it does not lose its zero even after heavy and sustained fire.  

There were three members of Steyr Mannlicher that were credited for design of the AUG and at least one of them has gone on to design the HK G-36.  I have no idea who the lead designers on the FN FS2000 project are and what they have done in the past or are doing now.  

Again...American companies are claiming that they will produce American AUGs here in the United States.  This will make the purchase of parts, accessories, and legal issues much easier to deal with for the consumer.  Plus, you'll be supporting an American company that provides American jobs while having an awesome rifle...can't beat that.

The AUG A1 and A2 have quick change barrels and the USR can be configured to have a quick change barrel.  That means in a matter of seconds you can switch out barrels for whatever length you may want.

The AUG mags are some of the best magazines I've ever used.  They have a reputation for being reliable and I've never seen any complaint about a failure caused by an AUG mag or experienced one myself.

Now I’ll admit I love the AUG and therefore may be bias.  I may also be missing some things about the FN FS2000 or even the AUG, but I’m sure other folks will add some information for you.  I think both are awesome weapons and you should get whatever you feel most comfortable buying.  Firearms are like gloves there is no one size fits all.  

Well said
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:06:16 PM EDT
[#4]
HEard that Solvenia (i think its them) has adopted the F2000 as its standard issue.  Don't  know when they will start fielding etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
great info, exactly what i was looking for
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:51:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I own both and have shot military versions of the AUG. Weapon to weapon I believe the AUG is a better crafted and handier weapon. When I strip both down side by side, the AUG looks much better built and sturdier. The AUG has been adopted by numerouse nations. The new F2000 has only been adopted by Slovenia so far. My one major issue with the F2000 is Im not sure what you do if you have a jam (all autos jam, dont believe the BS artists..) as the chamber is not really accessible by the user.

As far as the US civilian shooter, costs point more to the FS2000. Its cheaper to buy and (presumably) to get parts for. It uses standard M16 magazines.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#7]
with the f2000 platform being only 7 years old or so, and it begining to be make its way to military service, does anyone think that the f2000 will evolve? for example precision, or heavy/LMG variants?

I am just asking this as i know that the AUG has been successfully employed in many diffrent roles. just wondering how far FN may be planing on taking this platform?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
No idea.

My crystal ball isn't working, but I haven't heard any peeps from FN about changing the FN FS2000 civilian version.  I'm sure there will be second and third generations of the weapon that will tweak some things, but only FN Herstal and God himself know whether that will happen and if so when.  

What we may see are US companies making after market parts and mods for the rifle at some point as is already going on with the FN PS90.  That will more than likely occur much faster than any changes or accessories FN will offer.  Keep checking over at the fiveseven forum for information and look for items at or after SHOT Show.  
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#9]
It is certainly possible to have a DM weapon or HBAR variant of the FS2000, due to the modular construction.  It could be done as easily as with an AR, just a drop-in upper receiver containing longer and/or heavier barrel with match chamber etc...  A lighter more precise FCG could also be marketed as a seperate unit and sold as a kit with the "sniper" upper receiver.  

These are simply possibilities, and have no idea if any of them will happen.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
My only question relating to these new AUGS is: What is the trigger pull like on the AUG, and if it is as bad as a stock AR trigger (or worse) can it be improved by the user?  I am officially spoiled by the Geissele trigger on my AR...It will be hard to justify another platform if it comes with a substandard trigger that can't be changed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The Aug trigger is pretty stiff and can't get anywhere near a worked AR trigger. There is an aftermarket "trigger tamer" that will help the Aug quite a bit.

Bill
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy both!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:10:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Buy both!

There you go!  Why have one rifle when you can have two for twice the price?  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
The FS2000 is superior in every way! The Aug is old trying to look new. YAWN...........
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The FS2000 is superior in every way! The Aug is old trying to look new. YAWN...........

And how is the FS2000 superior in every way?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The F2000 isn't better, I have one sittin right next to me right now and I will be buying an AUG in a few months as well, the AUG has many advantages the F2000 doesn't. Its much more flexible as you can change barrel length, add or remove rail system. I will say that if you are interested in NFA stuff the F2000 from what I hear supresses better.

Nate
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top