Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 5:17:07 AM EDT
I spent three hours on the range yesterday during training with the XCR.  It was 45 F and raining steady and at times harder.  The gun got pretty well soaked.  I put 300 rounds through the XCR without a hiccup.  In fairness, the AR's and the .308 DPMS rifles all worked without a hitch as well.  I just thought I would share some results of the XCR being shot in less than perfect conditions.  The range is an old quarry and the guns picked up a little grit as we trained due to the rain.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the info.  1 question...how often do you have to tighten the barrel retention nut and the nut on the gas regulator?  I read that they loosen during firing.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:30:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had zero problems with both.  I have removed the barrel twice now and it has never loosened up after re mounting.  The gas nut has not been a problem either.  Every two to three range sessions, I will take the gas valve out and scrub the system.  Once you take the nut loose, the gas valve will slide out the back of the receiver and a .40 or .45 caliber brush fits nicely to clean the gas tube.  I also turn a 1/4 inch drill bit on the inside of the gas valve like the manual recommends for cleaning.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like a good report to me. I've yet to be able to shoot mine. I talked to RobArms yesterday and they were putting the bolt in the mail back to me as we spoke. All I need now is some ammo and I'll be ready to go try her out. I plan on putting an Aimpoint on it but I know next to nothing about them, still researching.

Thanks for the report.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
what are your favorite and least favorite things about the rifle?  for awhile i was very into this rifle but other rifles have since gotten my attention for various reasons.  I also want to see if rob arm follows through with different barrels and calibers.

Thanks again, i love range reports!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:44:27 PM EDT
[#5]
James,

I have put about 2,500 rounds through my XCR so far (1,000 of those rounds with a silencer) and the barrel nut has not loostened yet.  I check it every now and then but it is still tight.  I have not taken the barrel off yet and only removed the gas valve once to change it out for the new suppressor valve.  I have only cleaned and lubed the gun three times (the first time the day I got it to make sure everything was in order) in those 2,500 rounds and it runs just fine.  The only thing I don't like about mine is the slop or play between the upper and lower.  My AR's are very tight, so I am not used to it and there doesn't seem to be any way I can see to tighten the upper to lower fit.

Just my observations so far,
MadDog
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I am very pleased with Robinson's service as of late.  When the guns were first trickling out, they seemed distracted, frazzled almost, when talking to them on the phone.  The last few months, they have been very patient and attentive on the phone.

With the latest upgrades, they sent the replacement parts out quickly with a return package prepaid for the old parts.  I called them with a concern over my trigger, they asked if I minded holding while they asked the engineer some questions, got right back to me, and got everything squared away.

I am quite pleased with the gun and would not change anything major.  I love the balance, intrinsic accuracy, one peice upper, side folding stock, ergonomics, etc.  I did switch to an ergo grip, but then I have this grip on all of my guns and shortened the barrel to 14.7 and pinned the FH.

In a perfect world, the gas valve would be adjustable without a wrench, but once set I have not found a need to change it in the field.  As is, there is no chance of getting it on the wrong setting by accident and causing problems.  The rear sling swivel could be possibly better, although I would not know where to put it right off that would be better.  I have no problem getting my three point sling to work well.

The trigger has gotten some comments, but mine works nicely and made me really appreciate a two stage trigger.  My buddy's is real slick as well and he has a later model with the updates from the beginning.

I would love to read the review in SWAT magazine but the local book store has not been able to come through with a back issue yet.

I would like to see some low, factory iron sights as an option and emailed Robinson the wish.  I think the AR BUIS's are too tall.  I mount my SPOT scope with a 1/4 inch high ring and it is perfect.  It is low to the bore and I can get a real tight cheek weld.

I know I sound like a Robinson employee, but I promise you I work the streets every day.  The gun is that good to me.  Is it drastically better than an AR, I won't go that far, although I do feel it is the compilation of the all the best features out there.  

Most of the time, the AR's go head to head with the XCR without a problem as evident by the initial post.  I have noticed that an AR that is dirty, dry or hot will have problems before the XCR.  The last hot range day (90 plus) and over 600 rounds and the AR's started running into problems where the XCR didn't.  It was two AR's versus the XCR and both AR's started having problems within 30 rounds of each other.  The mags were brand new GI mags and were used in all three guns.   The ammo was the same for all three guns.  The AR's were a brand "B" and a brand "R".

It was an un planned test, just a day during a carbine course I taught.  A quick wipe down of the AR's, a little oil, and they were back up and running in about 10 minutes.

Price an AR with the same features and it will be in the same price range as the XCR.  If Robinson stays on course with this product, I think they have a winner.  

Link Posted: 10/26/2006 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to mention, my local shop where I purchased my XCR got another one in the other day.  It lasted 3 hours before someone shelled out the coin and walked out with it.

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#8]
It is great to finally see NEW (!!!) info about this gun.  keep it coming!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#9]
 I ordered an XCR a few weeks ago. I have been following this rifle for about 2 years now. I am glad to hear some great range reports. I have a couple ARs and would like something that has some better features, which I think the XCR does. If it ends up not being all that I expect then I am sure it will make a nice conversation piece down the road
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:51:47 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a shame they seem to have forgotten about their M96. I've been waiting for a short rail for mine since January.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm just waiting for the day I can order a 6.8 heavy fluted barrel rifle.
They have a survey for accessories and other caliber barrels for the XCR on there website. I think we should all give our input.
www.robarm.com/XCR_Barrels.htm
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It's a shame they seem to have forgotten about their M96. I've been waiting for a short rail for mine since January.

Check with The Kaiserworks:
http://thekaiserworks.com/products/m96.php
Maybe they have some rails in stock.
I bought their stock adapter in the hopes of the day that my local dealer will realize the two M96's he has will never sell for the price he is asking, especially since the XCR was released.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Can anyone post some detailed pics of the internals?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:16:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Any news on a .308 version?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top