Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 12:59:11 PM EDT
like I said in another thread....

I'm sure the XCR will mature into a good weapon despite RobArm customer service's best efforts,

And I look forwward to the 556 with enthusiam and vigor equal to the most sig-phile among us.

But imagine one of these - a fourth generation design: bugs gone (sights) or worked out (deflector), with HALF the sticker price of any other 'tactical' piston gun, the best customer service out there, all american made, and from a company that caters to us (keltec) instead of marginalizing and demonzing us (the guys who put out th emini14 who shall rename unnamed).

you could use a slightly modified su16 stock (connection on top not bottom) and it would still underfold.  Or you could have an ACE attachment on back, or you could have both out of one slightly altered PLR mold.....

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in.  
I was always skeptical of Kel-Tec until I picked up a .380 a few months ago.  It has been nothing but reliable out of the box.  I'd try one of their rifles in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:53:54 PM EDT
[#2]
how about some optics?

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#3]
If it starts getting close to the cost of an AR, I'd get an AR.

But I can see the potential.  It would give someone an excuse to use up all their spare AR parts.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:51:16 AM EDT
[#4]
For $350-$500, I'd be in on one of those.  

Side folder would be best, IMO.  Forget the bipod.

I'd like to see the mag well lined with aluminum so the mags drop free.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:54:40 AM EDT
[#5]
ChapperJoe, have you sent a link to KEL-TEC on this, or an email?

I like it personally.  would be a great truck gun.

TXL
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:01:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always said a true pistol grip is what the SU-16 needs, I'd buy one in a heart beat with a side or top folder, the only problem I see with the top folder would be how to mount optics on it if you intend on putting a scope on it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:41:12 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
ChapperJoe, have you sent a link to KEL-TEC on this, or an email?

I like it personally.  would be a great truck gun.

TXL

yep sent a detailed email.  knowing them, they've already read it.  I don't expect a response, so I'm gonna try and call.  

I'm gonn atel them that if they don't do it, I'mgonna work ona modified lower myself  would be dog simple.  

seeing what Ace has done with the Daewoo and 180B, I think that if I gave htem the idea they come up with something.  at least that's what I'll threaten kel tec with.

ACE could make a whole lower or a snap on kit for the PLR.  the PLR lower is not a serialed part so no issue of making apistol into a rifle.  plus if you buy a PLR to get the lower, then you also have a potential SBR with the ace modified part.

not to mention that f kel tek ever does do this, it will create an AR pistol ttype situation where you can buy a pistol and rifle and wait for the paperwork to come and then pop the two wrong halved to gether and wallah,l wicked short barreled rifel.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#8]
chapperjoe, have you ever shot one of the SU-16Cs?

As much of an AR devotee as I am (I have one or two ), I really didn't think I'd like the straight stock of the SU-16C...  until I got one and tried it.  I bought one recently and was very surprised at how comfortable it was to shoot -- not at all awkward as I had thought it would be.  Then I dropped an old Aimpoint on it and found it surprisingly (to me) quick on target.  I honestly didn't think I'd like the configuration as much as I do.  The fact that it will fire folded (unlike some earlier models) really appeals to me and so far my only complaints are that (1) it gets very hot, very fast during sustained fire and (2) the fold-out bipod/forearm makes for a flimsy bipod (but I doubt I'll ever use it as such, anyway).

A few hundred more trouble-free rounds through it and it will likely replace the Bushmaster ARM in the trunk of my Miata (where a full-size AR just isn't practical, unlike my other vehicles ).

Of course, if they build one like you propose above I'm sure I'll get one of those as well...
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:01:35 AM EDT
[#9]
great idea

I'd love an underfolder or sidefolder.

for 450bucks?  I might buy two.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:03:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
chapperjoe, have you ever shot one of the SU-16Cs?

As much of an AR devotee as I am (I have one or two ), I really didn't think I'd like the straight stock of the SU-16C...  until I got one and tried it.  I bought one recently and was very surprised at how comfortable it was to shoot -- not at all awkward as I had thought it would be.  Then I dropped an old Aimpoint on it and found it surprisingly (to me) quick on target.  I honestly didn't think I'd like the configuration as much as I do.  The fact that it will fire folded (unlike some earlier models) really appeals to me and so far my only complaints are that (1) it gets very hot, very fast during sustained fire and (2) the fold-out bipod/forearm makes for a flimsy bipod (but I doubt I'll ever use it as such, anyway).

A few hundred more trouble-free rounds through it and it will likely replace the Bushmaster ARM in the trunk of my Miata (where a full-size AR just isn't practical, unlike my other vehicles ).

Of course, if they build one like you propose above I'm sure I'll get one of those as well...

a) you have  a bushmaster ARM - AWESOME!!

b) you USE a bushmaster ARM - AWESOME!!!!

c) anything involved with this project would really be just an improved upper and new lower.  lower's would be (heck they are now) comptletely modular and swappable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#11]
I am not a big keltec fan but that would be neat.

Definitely neat.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Not a bad idea.  I would buy one.

Max
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a prototype done up in clay......All I need is to find a place that will mold it for me.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
i like the concept pictures above, but i think that Kel Tec should should make an upper for the AR15 with the SU-16 operating sytem as a base.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:21:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I would take either a side or under folder.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I like it. I also have a Sub2000 and a P-32 that have been great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top