Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/14/2006 7:13:36 AM EDT
I'm a new Mini-30 owner and would like some suggestions on the following:

1. What ammo to use? Is the bore .311 or .308? If it's 308, should I "roll my own" as the bullet diameter is supposed to be .311?

2. Suggestions on magazines? I'm in interested in either a 10 or 20 round size.

3. Iron sights - suggestions on replacements?

4. How do you tweak it to get the best accuracy? Any tricks/tips for the marginally handy?

Anything else to know? I'm planning on using it for <100 yrd deer hunting. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:20:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy dies and roll your own!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:09:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If you have a new Mini-30 you have a standard size bore.  Ruger quit putting the undersize barrels on 15 years ago.  Still the best advice is to slug it to be sure.

You hear good comments about the ten round Promags.  No experience with them myself.

www.perfectunion.com is the Mini place.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
I'm a new Mini-30 owner and would like some suggestions on the following:

1. What ammo to use? Is the bore .311 or .308? If it's 308, should I "roll my own" as the bullet diameter is supposed to be .311?

2. Suggestions on magazines? I'm in interested in either a 10 or 20 round size.

3. Iron sights - suggestions on replacements?

4. How do you tweak it to get the best accuracy? Any tricks/tips for the marginally handy?

Anything else to know? I'm planning on using it for <100 yrd deer hunting. Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:13:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes.

Sell that mini to another sucker and buy an AK.

The beating will continue until moral improves.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yes.

Sell that mini to another sucker and buy an AK.

The beating will continue until moral improves.

Not to be a smart-ass, but I agree 100%. Been there, done that.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
if you want 100 yard dear hunting, trade that bad boy in for a Winchester or marlin 30-30.

my .02.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm gonna reply as an exception to the rule. I have a Mini-30 and love it! It's not fair to compare then to AK's, they were built with different purposes in mind. Do you want an outstanding SHTF weapon, or do you want a handy rifle/carbine for hunting or ranch/farm use? I use Eagle 10rnd mags and Silver Bear SP ammo when I can get ahold of it. With an inexpensive scope and a crude rest It will shoot 2" at 100. With a decent rest I bet I could get MOA out of it, bone-stock. Unlike an AK, the Mini is streamlined- it doesn't have stuff poking out everywhere. It makes a handy carbine for hunting thick cover our using as a personal companion out in the bush. Very short and light, and a ball to shoot. Keep it or sell it to me cheap!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Bought a Mini-30, now what?  

Sell it
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm gonna reply as an exception to the rule. I have a Mini-30 and love it! It's not fair to compare then to AK's, they were built with different purposes in mind. Do you want an outstanding SHTF weapon, or do you want a handy rifle/carbine for hunting or ranch/farm use? I use Eagle 10rnd mags and Silver Bear SP ammo when I can get ahold of it. With an inexpensive scope and a crude rest It will shoot 2" at 100. With a decent rest I bet I could get MOA out of it, bone-stock. Unlike an AK, the Mini is streamlined- it doesn't have stuff poking out everywhere. It makes a handy carbine for hunting thick cover our using as a personal companion out in the bush. Very short and light, and a ball to shoot. Keep it or sell it to me cheap!!

If your accuracy is anywhere close what you are reporting then you have that 1/1000 mini.  I would dearly love to see it.    Keep it, baby it, and will it to the NRA museum when you die.

Nailcreek, if your accuracy is less then 4moa you got very lucky.  If you get normal 10 moa accuracy, bring lots of mags so you can use the patented mini "recon by fire, spray  and pray"  technique on the deer.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a Mini-30 that would shoot 2 to 3" groups at 100 yds with ammo it liked. I have fired a friend's Mini-30 and it shoots the same. I've also had and fired several Mini-14's that had the same level of accuracy. I get so sick and tired of people saying Mini's aren't accurate. All you guys that say the Mini's aren't accurate either can't shoot worth a damn, or you've never even fired one and you're just recycling something you read on the 'net. Or maybe your standards are just too high for what is essentially a lightweight sporting autoloader. For what it is, I think 2 to 3" groups at 100 yds is plenty good.

Nailcreek, the Mini-30 is a decent choice for 100 yd deer hunting. I shot 2 deer with mine before I had to sell it. I used the Winchester 123 gr Power Points. They worked well and were decently accurate. You could bed it. In my experience, bedding won't necessarily improve accuracy, but it will reduce the likelyhood of 'fliers'. For iron sights, I'm assuming you have the older version with the flip up rear sight, correct? If so www.accuracysystemsinc.com/ has a replacement rear sight you'll probably like. HTH
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
if you want 100 yard dear hunting, trade that bad boy in for a Winchester or marlin 30-30.

my .02.

If you're going DEAR hunting, I suggest flowers.

B_S
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:08:47 AM EDT
[#11]
If you are looking for a good high capacity mag for the mini 30 try the new polymer mags from Promag. You can get them at midway. Beware, polymer mags need to be broken in. You can read about that process on Perfectunion.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top