Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 7:57:25 PM EDT
A company manufactures this in the configuration shown and it is classified as a handgun and NOT a SBR or AOW.

Theoretically, would it be possible to have a manufacturer produce a pump shotgun with a 12" rifled slug barrel and similar shortened stock "pistol grip," and have it classified as a pistol as well?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure about the legal issues, but that is a sweet assed lever action!!

I thought this was cool to, not sure what category it falls under though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No.  If the shotgun's barrel length is under 18 inches and only has a pistol grip instead of a full stock, it is classified as an AOW.  If it has a stock which allows it to be fired from the shoulder it is a short barreled shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No.  If the shotgun's barrel length is under 18 inches and only has a pistol grip instead of a full stock, it is classified as an AOW.  If it has a stock which allows it to be fired from the shoulder it is a short barreled shotgun.

Even if it has a rifled bore? How would you distinguish it from the above lever action in a legal sense?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The only way I could figure that they could get around that is by making it different cartridges interchangeable.  For instance the side by side derringer pistols advertised to shoot .45LC or .410 shotshells.  It has the ability to fire shotshells although it is chambered for the .45LC pistol cartridge.  Since there is no round that I know of that will interchange like that with a 12 gauge shotgun, the firearm would have to distinguished as a shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A company manufactures this in the configuration shown and it is classified as a handgun and NOT a SBR or AOW.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/glocker199/new-mare1.png

Theoretically, would it be possible to have a manufacturer produce a pump shotgun with a 12" rifled slug barrel and similar shortened stock "pistol grip," and have it classified as a pistol as well?

What company makes that?

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Even if it has a rifled bore? How would you distinguish it from the above lever action in a legal sense?

It has to do with the bore size IIRC.  Not the fact thats its rifled or not.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#7]
The lever action "handgun" you pictured is as not a AOW or SBR because it was built from a virgin reciver, just like how people will buy AR lowers to make handguns.

The only way they could build that into a "shotgun" is if used .410 shells. There is a .410 street sweeper out there and that was not listed as a DD like the 12ga Street sweeper because the .410 model was listed as a handgun and did not have a large bore.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw one of those on the series firefly and was thinking that it was kind of a spiffy SBR... little did I know they are actually considered a pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top