Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 12:23:43 AM EDT
I love my AR and the .223 pop, but was looking to get a 10/22 for more shooting. You know, on account of the extremely cheap ammo. If I got a 22 though, I'd want it to be scoped and cheap. Basically, looking for a cheap alternative all the way. An extra, cheap gun for some fun.

However, I'm wondering if I should just get a scope for the AR. I'd still be using .223, but maybe with a scope I'd be taking more time and fewer shots not making the more expensive ammo that big of deal.

So, what do you guys think? Scope the AR or get a cheap 22 and scope it?

Would constantly switching from an Eotech and scope on my AR mean I'd constantly have to re-zero both sights?

Would scoping the AR reduce my shots enough to warrant sticking with the .223 ammo price?

Is sniping with a .22 and scope good fun had by all?

My original thoughts were on the .22 because I like to shoot a couple hundred rounds each time out. So I figured if I got a .22 I could shoot off a couple hundred rounds of the cheap .22 ammo and then 100 rounds on my AR. Get more shooting, but less through the AR and less of the expensive ammo. But then I figured I'd want the .22 scoped, which might mean fewer shots. Which then lead me to think, maybe a scope on an AR would lead to fewer shots.

Any advice, experience, scope or .22 suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:28:39 AM EDT
[#1]
For cheap plinking nothing beats the 10/22.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't have a scope on my AR, atleast not yet. I do have a 10/22 with a 3x9 BSA scope and the damn thing shoots pretty good. You don't necessarily need a 10/22 there are other 22 rifles out there. I still shoot 223 and usually go through about a brick of 22 each range session. If you don't have a 22 now your missing out on a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, it doesn't have to be a 10/22, just shoot .22LR, the cheap stuff.

I just want a cheap gun, with a scope for maybe 100-200yds, and have fun.

Any ideas or suggestions? I keep checking the exchange, hoping for local.

I also considered a .22 conversion for the AR but that alone is more expensive then a .22 with scope together.

I've also never had a scope, so I don't know how much zoom they have, what zoom I need, if they zoom enough for target verification(i.e. where the bullet hit).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top