Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 6:07:20 PM EDT
went to a gun show over the weekend and bought a savage mdl  325A which is a bolt action 30-30 for $100.  very nice shape and light. got it home and ran a brush and patch thru the bore and  the rifling is bright and strong. after firing it the first time the empty brass  shell was stuck in the chamber. after tapping it out with a cleaning rod , i saw rust in the chamber so i used an oversize brush in an electric drill then a patch  wrapped around the brush coated with JB bore polish. the first shot out and that round ejected just fine but the next one stuck so back to the electric drill and JB's. i'll get it workin in due time but  i like this gun for $100 and the 30-30 had less recoil than i figured, i think this one's a keeper !!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You can also hot rod the 30-30 in a bolt action if you reload. It aint your grandfathers 30-30 any more.

Bob
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#2]
30-30 is almost sacred here in Wisconsin for huting deer, accurate, good brush gun.. and not so damn expensive for crashing in the woods and berry bushes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:08:51 AM EDT
[#3]
The late Dean Grennell(sorry if I spelled his name wrong) published a reloading guide. One of his projects was a Savage 340 bolt action in 30/30. Since it wasn't a tube magazine he was able to load up ammo with regular 308 bullets. He got some decent performance and accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top