Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2006 6:08:00 PM EDT
I can't figure out how the end result will be different.  How will each one looks when finished building with a kit?  I can only buy one.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Ok,

The quick lowdown.

Type I's(Metric/Euro) are the original of course. Metric mag notched, and have a uninterupted scallop/notch that runs along the lower edge of the upper receiver.

Type II's(Metric/Euro)have a different scallop/notch profile that left a lil more metal where some receivers were cracking under severe punishment from sustained full auto firing. Offers no real benefit for semi auto guns.

L1A1's(Commonwealth/Inch) look most like type I's but, are cut for Commonwealth/Inch patter magazines, have sand cuts internally that help spit out crud(when used with a sand cut bolt carrier), and have a minor change to accomodate the std folding cocking handle.

If you have a commonwealth kit, I'd go with the L1A1 since DSA is now making those to keep it closest to original config.  If you have a metric( IMBEL, DSA, Coonan, etc.)kit, I'd stick with a Type I but, that's a personal preference.

FYI-DSA's type I's can be had without the carry handle notch for those who think carry handles are stupid(might also add a bit more rigidity to the receiver)

HTH

Blitz
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok,

The quick lowdown.

Type I's(Metric/Euro) are the original of course. Metric mag notched, and have a uninterupted scallop/notch that runs along the lower edge of the upper receiver.

Type II's(Metric/Euro)have a different scallop/notch profile that left a lil more metal where some receivers were cracking under severe punishment from sustained full auto firing. Offers no real benefit for semi auto guns.

L1A1's(Commonwealth/Inch) look most like type I's but, are cut for Commonwealth/Inch patter magazines, have sand cuts internally that help spit out crud(when used with a sand cut bolt carrier), and have a minor change to accomodate the std folding cocking handle.

If you have a commonwealth kit, I'd go with the L1A1 since DSA is now making those to keep it closest to original config.  If you have a metric( IMBEL, DSA, Coonan, etc.)kit, I'd stick with a Type I but, that's a personal preference.

FYI-DSA's type I's can be had without the carry handle notch for those who think carry handles are stupid(might also add a bit more rigidity to the receiver)

HTH

Blitz

I thought type 1 receivers are stronger?!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Negative Groundfire, negative
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top