Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 1:54:27 PM EDT
OK, I'm trying to decide what to get......PTR-91 or an FAL. which should I get for general plinking/ possible SHTF use?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
FAL

HK's are over-rated.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
My JLD PTR 91 is far more reliable then my 2 DSA FALs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm planning on getting both, which should I get first?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Enjoy the ease of an FAL report and then try the 91's shoulder slam.  Hey, 90 countries chose the FAL as their battle rifle, how many chose the HK?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an FAL.  My roomate has a PTR-91.

I find that the FAL fits me better.  But both are great weapons.  Feel both and get the one that fits you better.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have both a SA58 & PTR91. JLD already replaced the rifle once. DSA has benn fine! I think you already know my answer...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
PTR's more for money compared to say a DSA FAL, but the FAL's a great battle rifle also and I've thought mainly that with any of the great 7.62 battle rifles it's not which ones so much better in it's job, but which one fits you and the job you need it for best.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
FAL

I have one built form a South African R1 parts kit and another kit waiting to be built. It is hands down the best rifle I've ever shot.

The G3 and the like don't fit me very well. Not to mention, FAL parts are dirt cheap and widely available.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:50:02 AM EDT
[#9]
ummm... where is the option for BOTH!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 9:58:26 AM EDT
[#10]
PTR-91  

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Now that's funny!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Para DSA FAL
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Another one of these?  I'm still waiting for the M1A vs FAL poll next.......

THE ANSWER HAS ALWAYS BEEN FAL!
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Save your money and buy an M1 Garand action from ODCMP.  Have it rebarrelled in .308, and re-stocked as per your choice.

You will still have a piece of history.  A rifle that just might have fired a shot against an enemy of  our country.  that is something no FAL or PTR can ever claim.

Not to mention but if you do it right you will never lose money. The others?

This is good advice. Done correctly, you will come out cheaper than either PTR or FAL.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now that's funny!

Not as funny as you!

My Fals are ammo sensitive. They won't feed everything even with the proper gas setting. They will jam up. My PTR eats anything!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
PTR's more for money compared to say a DSA FAL, but the FAL's a great battle rifle also and I've thought mainly that with any of the great 7.62 battle rifles it's not which ones so much better in it's job, but which one fits you and the job you need it for best.

JLD is less money then a DSA by quiet a bit.......even the STG58's.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 7:13:06 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Enjoy the ease of an FAL report and then try the 91's shoulder slam.  Hey, 90 countries chose the FAL as their battle rifle, how many chose the HK?

Actually ,over 100 countries chose the FAL as there MBR.
It came out several years before the HK G3 .

Of those 100+ countries more than half thought it was worth the
$$$$ to switch over to the HK when it came out.

This is a big part of why you see so many FALs in third
world countries.They bought them used from the countries that
switched to the HK.

As for the arguement many say about the HKs not having a last shot
bolt stop,most countries that kept the FAL disabled this feature anyway
because it was to undependable.

Don't  like the kick from an HK ?
Try a soft rubber buttpad .It works wonders.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#19]
I would get a FAL. I have owned several of each and I like the FAL. If you have a round pop in the chamber of the PTR91 it will bend the receiver making the rifle useless. In the FAL it will blow the rounds out the bottom of the mag, reassemble and go. The FAL is a much sturdier rifle. They take more abuse than a G3 will.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would get a FAL. I have owned several of each and I like the FAL. If you have a round pop in the chamber of the PTR91 it will bend the receiver making the rifle useless. In the FAL it will blow the rounds out the bottom of the mag, reassemble and go. The FAL is a much sturdier rifle. They take more abuse than a G3 will.

Only a blow heavy enough from the outside that would push the receiver inward against the bolt would cause a problem of binding up the bolt, but that would have to be one serious hit on that stamped steel receiver and something that heavy would damage just about any gun in some way. The G3's went through just as much testing and tough treatment through history as any other battle rifle and still shines through. There not used in so many countries today because there a weak gun or unreliable.
Choosing comes down to more of which one you like better than which one is so much better. The iron sights on the G3 I prefer much more and mags are about as tough as it gets.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#21]
I was wondering the same and am interested in the replies.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Really?  What kind of malfunctions have you experienced with  your FALs?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#23]
I have seen several G3's and FAL's that have had a BIG blow and the G3's always bow out in a non-repairable bend. The only FAL's that did not survive were the aluma-bobms.

The Century FAL's are not that good due to bad workmanship. If you have a problem with the DSA send it back, they will fix it. I have several FAL's to include kit guns and do not have problems.

I am in no-way saying the PTR-91 is a bad rifle because it is good. Just owning both I would trust my FAL and not the other.

Also go to the FAL section here and read the article about Ol dirty. I bet you can't do that with a PTR91. 5 malfunctions on 10880 rds (weapon has been abused and not cleaned).
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:32:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Don't  like the kick from an HK ?
Try a soft rubber buttpad .It works wonders.

Actually I enjoy the constant effiency from a proven rifle platform that with care and discipline is quite remarkable.  No need for a soft rubber pad for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really?  What kind of malfunctions have you experienced with  your FALs?

Mostly feeding problems not related to the magazine. At least my FAL's are ammo sensitive, they will not cycle different hunting ammo. The PTR eats anything. I spoke to DSA about this and they simply said no rifle is 100% reliable and to try different ammo....I've already tried a dozzen kinds....not even close to 100% reliability! I still love them though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:24:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I own both and I like both, so its a tough choice.  Each has plusses and minuses.  For me the FAL has been more reliable.  (100% vs. 98%+ for the PTR91, so neither is what I'd call a finicky rifle).  FAL also has less recoil.  FAL is a little easier to field strip and clean (although again they're both pretty damn easy).   I would say the FAL is also a little sturdier.  (PTR91 has kind of cheap handguards).  Both have pretty crappy  stock triggers, although I'd say the PTR91's is a little crappier.  However, I think the PTR's trigger is a little easier to improve.  (Williams Trigger does great work).  I also find the FAL slightly more ergonomic (eassier to release the bolt).   I also think the FAL bolt holds open after last round fired (kind of embarrased to admit I'm not 100% sure - I guess I own too many guns).  PTR91 definitely does not have bolt hold open on last round.

On the other hand the PTR91 is cheaper than a DSA FAL (the only clone worth getting).  My PTR91 is also more accurate.  (About 1.5 MOA vs. 2-2.5 for FAL).  Sights are definitely better on PTR91.  Mags are cheaper for PTR91 (although FAL mags are not pricey either).

In the end you won't go wrong with either - particularly if you want a so called "battle rifle" in .308 caliber.  Both will be cheaper than an AR10 from Armalite (and in my experience more reliable).  Both certainly have acceptable accuracy for what they are - particulary since you will presumably be shooting mil surp. ammo out of them.  If you can, try both and then decide which you prefer.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Doesn't the fluted chamber on a PTR-91 render the brass kind of unusable for reloading? I'd guess delayed roller lock blowback also requires you to clean a bit more than the piston design of the FAL.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:28:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Doesn't the fluted chamber on a PTR-91 render the brass kind of unusable for reloading? I'd guess delayed roller lock blowback also requires you to clean a bit more than the piston design of the FAL.

It is rough on brass so if reloading is a concern than it's not the rifle for you. As for cleaning, it does get dirty but doesn't make it hard to clean or in any way effect function. You could go thousands of rounds just the same as a FAL or M14 without even a hiccup.
There is support for the weapon and with more PTR's being sold everyday more should follow. If it came to a SHTF time you wouldn't be getting any regardless of the weapon system unless you were lucky enough to be able to at some point or run into an armorer. I still think the main thing is not which one's better at the job or better off in parts, but just fits better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Theres a lot less parts to a PTR then a FAL also. More simple design.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#31]
YOU REALLY NEED TO TRY BOTH AND SEE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU!!

Everyone who posts one over the other is biased based on what works best for them. I've owned both, and its the PTR hands down. I am more accurate by far with it, I can handle the recoil, and it balances better for me. I've never had a problem aside from one mag with a weak spring. My DSA medium contour was an ammo sensitive  headache. My ARS build is a dream. I still would grab the PTR in a heartbeat. TRY BOTH and good luck!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:45:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Trigger pack crapped out on a basically brand now PTR-91k last summer.  Never seen an FAL crap out for any reason other than someone tweaking it and not getting it right-just like 1911s.  

FAL=the heat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top