Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 1:59:11 PM EDT
I am wanting opinions from people that have and shoot a ruger pc9  or pc9 gr.

How do they shoot?

Do they function well?

Mag issues?

Any and all info will help.

Thank you in advance
George...............................
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to work for a dept that issued .40 cal Ruger carbines.  They are fun little rifles.  Well built, reliable, pretty accurate (we qualified out to 100 yards with them).  

My only issue was how they were made.  If I remember correctly part of the receiver and the stock are an intergal unit, that is why you cannot find aftermartket stocks for it.  If Ruger made a small folding stock for it like the 10/22 it would be a dream rifle.  

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:10:49 PM EDT
[#2]
The high cap mags I have don't work.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Steve-oh : How do the mags not work?
Do factory 10rnd mags work?
What cal.
Does the carbine run good other then with high caps?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:36:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I had a PC9 a few years back, ended up selling it to a friend who fell in love with it.

Pros:

Accurate
Reliable
Well built
Built in scope mount points
Readily available mags

Cons:

Heavy
Heavy trigger
No sling swivels
Rear sight leaf instead of aperture sight

I slapped a small red dot sight on it and it seemed to be a match made in heaven.
I had no problems with either 10 round or hi-caps, even the crappy USA hi-caps.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Triggers absolutly suck, IMO and the .40 S&W examples were slightly less accurate then the 9mm weapons. 9mm hicaps are readily availible as it shares common magazines with Ruger pistols. Ruger factory high-capacity magazines are also availible for the 9mm weapon. IIRC, you can use a .40 or .45 ACP 10 round magazine as a 15/17 round 9mm magazine. My best friend has both a P95 and 9mm carbine and he was using .40/.45 10 round magazines from a P89? as a highcapacity 9mm magazine for both. Im not sure if he had to screw with them or change followers but I never experienced a failure with eiether weapon, and this guy hates cleaning guns. I don't think he ever cleaned the carbine, and it still hasn't failed. These are pretty decent guns, but are somewhat obscure now and the aftermarket doesn't support them. Many PD's still issue both the 40 and 9mm carbines with great luck. They are great guns, though for the money I'd get a storm or build a 9mm AR. I haven't seen them for less than 500.00 used around here....
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Steve-oh : How do the mags not work?
Do factory 10rnd mags work?
What cal.
Does the carbine run good other then with high caps?

It runs flawlessly with the 10 rounds magazines, it's 9mm.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#7]
well they now have the ghost ring sight model and it has QD sling attachments too

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=4751&return=Y
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:02:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I've had 2 of them and like everybody else has said, they're accurate and reliable, and they're made to really take a beating and still work. The trigger IS awful: sort of a really sloppy 2-stage, but mine were both fairly light, so it isn't too bad considering the type of gun it is. While even cheap pos "USA" 20 and 30-rd mags worked perfectly in both of mine, you're better off using factory 15-rders (30-rd mags hang so low out the bottom, you can almost use them as a monopod).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top