Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2006 12:06:59 AM EDT
OK I was looking through the new mag and it has a section on thier carbine.... Why?

Hasn't the thing been out for quite a while? Is it just new and improved with the early sights and such?

Is it suddenly better now than when it first came out?

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:52:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Who knows? Not I. There is so much pay-ola type activity in gun rags that it wouldn't surprise me if they reviewed it to secure an advertising contract. The National Rifleman doesn't need to do this as much to stay in business, so it might've been a simple whim of the editor. Supposedly the Koreans are accepting bids for their remaining stock of Garands and M1 Carbines. If this is true, we may be knee deep in surplus M1 carbines by this time in 2008 or possibly late '07. But don't hold your breath. Rumors have a habit of being spawned from pipe dreams.

Galland
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:58:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't see anything wrong with it.  The good M1's are real expensive, the cheaper ones are not as nice.  I may buy one if they come out with the folding version.  Perfect for someone who wants to own a WWII style gun but doesn't want to pay for an original.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
The original AO offering had the ventilated metal handguards. I don't remember what else. This newest offering is more in line with a WWll issued carbine. Had I bought one with the metal handguard I would have replaced it with a wooden one. With this one I would likely add the adjustable rearsight.

But I'll hold off and see if the "Korean rumor" is true or not. I mean, I've put off buying a carbine since the days when they were $125 all over the place, another year or two isn't going to make any difference.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:06:37 PM EDT
[#4]
love my WWII inland!

the sound alone was worth the $700
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:08:01 PM EDT
[#5]
The more pages they dedicate to drivel like this, the less they have to remind people that the government trusts you with machine guns, JUST NOT NEW ONES!  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The more pages they dedicate to drivel like this, the less they have to remind people that the government trusts you with machine guns, JUST NOT NEW ONES!  

Personally, I would like to see more reviews of NFA items in the American Rifleman.
Perhaps some reviews of Suppressors?
Maybe a story on the Form 4 process?
A monthly NFA column would be nice as well, informing readers of new happenings in the NFA world.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:29:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Personally, I would like to see more reviews of NFA items in the American Rifleman.
A monthly NFA column would be nice as well, informing readers of new happenings in the NFA world.

Agreed.

That said, AR is the only gun rag I read. I only get it because it's free and I'm a life member, but IMO it's better than anything on the newsstands except maybe Small Arms Review.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:32:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nah, they should just change the name to "American HUNTING Rifleman"

Problem solved on their end!  
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 7:45:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the early style of the guns.

My FFL had one in his shop and it felt too light, but i liked it. I forgot to ask him how much he was selling one for.

Korean Garands & M1 Carbines coming home? We need a drooling Smiley.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:21:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks nice and is supposedly the same, part for part, as a late WWII model.  Retail is around $700 for a walnut stock model...very pricey in my opinion.  What will they sell for at the dealer? Maybe $550 or something?  Still a bit rich for my blood for something that is just a shooter/plinker.  Like a poster above, I remember when M1 carbines were pretty inexpensive and just about littered the gun show tables.  Then a collectors market for WWII arms developed and prices took off.  Too bad.

My dad carried the M1 Carbine and M1 Garand while doing his tour of Korea in 52/53'.  I'd like to have one of each, but not at collector prices.  Let's hope the Korean import rumor has some legs.

dvo
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:12:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
...the government trusts you with machine guns, JUST NOT NEW ONES!  

I laughed when I read this then paused because it is so true, but then laughed some more but stopped again as it is so true and frustrating. My head hurts from this emotional roller coaster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top