Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 12:11:23 PM EDT
So the Sig 556 is going to hit the civilian market in 1-2 years or so?  Will they offer a civilian version of the Sig 551, beacuse I think it looks better than any of the pics  I have seen for the 556.

So is the 551 availible for civies?

Give me a run-down on the Sig rifles, please.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The Sig 556 is supposed to be out in Aug-Sept. of this year. The 551 is not available to civies. You may be able to find a pre-ban one or a parts kit one for mega $$$. The Sig 556 has not been finalized and is still subject to change before shipdate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Will civillians be able to buy kits or mods that would make the 556 look like the 551?

The 556 from what I have seen is ugly...
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#3]
No word on that, but you can be assured that other companies would make aftermarket furniture for the 556. Plus the rail is removable.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Will civillians be able to buy kits or mods that would make the 556 look like the 551?

The 556 from what I have seen is ugly...

Sig has stated that the stock can be replaced with the real Swiss furniture, and the mag-well will be swappable with the style that accepts 550 mags.

Whether someone makes affordable versions of that furniture and mags remains to be seen, because the genuine stuff is pricey but yes it's going to be workable.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:40:56 AM EDT
[#5]
 Im really glad they set it up for AR mags. Thats money I don't have to burn. I bet the mags would cost $30-$60  ea. IMO. WD
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#6]
If I could just replace the buttstock, I'd be happy. With it it looks too much like an AR.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I could just replace the buttstock, I'd be happy. With it it looks too much like an AR.

You can rest assured that you will be able to replace the buttstock.  People have been clamoring for a US legal 55x variant for years.  The demand is high enough for someone to step in with after-market stocks/adapters if Sig doesnt' change this on the production models.

I have the suspicion that Sig is making alot of refinements after the intial preview at SHOT.  I for one really hope that they go with Magpul for the furniture.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I never preferred HK style sights to American battle rifle sights, so the new flattop version is appealing to me so I can put on them whatever sights I like.  As for the stock folding or telescopic, I think a SCAR style stock would be awesome on this thing because it folds and is adjustable, but I'd probably prefer the telescopic to the simple folding for function.

As for magazine choice, it's no question that AR mags are the most logical for Americans like us who obviously have AR15s and plenty of magazines.  But I'd be willing to spend the extra on them for this rifle and get a set of the good HK M16 mags.  The American M16 button magazine release operation is also much faster and more ergonomic than the European magazine release lever on the bottom, so in my mind, this is a definite improvement.

As for this not being the 551, well, just maybe it will be a better semi-auto rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top