Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 6:57:29 AM EDT
At the range yesterday a dude was letting rip with a .454 short barreled revolver (Ruger IIRC) and he offered me a shot. I didn't want to be a wuss so I took a shot - DAYUM! Even though I was braced well my wrist still hurt for a minute! People were actually afraid to fire this thing, and I'm talking about big, grown men.

What is this cartridge designed for? Is it a hunting cartridge or is it simply big for the sake of being big?

Somebody here has to own one I'm sure.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
+1 - 454 has some recoil.

Last year a guy came to the range with a 458 Lott.  Nobody would shoot this thing except for a friend and I.  My friend would only shoot it in a lead sled with light loads.  I did that and shot it off hand with full loads...  Ouch - 3 rounds and 5 minutes later I was a purpleish color on that shoulder plus about 3 inches all around my shoulder

Hey - got to try everything at least once.

Magoo
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:21:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw that guy Dow, he was just to the right of you right ? Stubby stainless revolver right ? I was looking at it and wondering what it was. I understand they are popular in alaska for protection against grizzlies !!!! He let you fire it huh ? Dayum, wish I had seen that !!! I was too busy watching the gangstas and making sure I wasnt being muzzle swept. It was a great day but that place gets a bit busy sometimes . Im going to be hiding at my range upstate.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Never shot the 454 but I have shot the S&W 500.  I almost bought the 454 but ended up buying a Jet Ski.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 12:41:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I saw that guy Dow, he was just to the right of you right ? Stubby stainless revolver right ? I was looking at it and wondering what it was. I understand they are popular in alaska for protection against grizzlies !!!! He let you fire it huh ? Dayum, wish I had seen that !!! I was too busy watching the gangstas and making sure I wasnt being muzzle swept. It was a great day but that place gets a bit busy sometimes . Im going to be hiding at my range upstate.

Yeah, after we went over to do handgun he let me take a shot - I should have known better when his buddy was motioning to the other guys to watch me!

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I had a Freedom Arms revolver  in 454 with the 4 3/4 barrel I carried for years.  We have Grizzlies up here pretty bad so its pretty comforting. It is not fun to shoot period. On the range, you need to wear a glove or your hand will get beat up pretty good. I even had mine magnaported thinking that would help..it didnt.  This cartridge will produce about the same energy,etc as a standard load 45-70 round, out of a revolver. It also has about the same foot pounds of recoil as a 338 Winchester Magnum rifle..out of a revolver.  The Freedom Arms products though, are extremely accurate and well built. They are nice to own, just to admire the craftsmanship.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Ruger Super Redhwwk .454 that I bought a few years ago for hunting hogs. I have yet to take any hogs with it though, as I have to travel a ways to find them. Probably will take a trip this summer for this purpose. The scope is only for the range though. I fire 260 grain magtech and it is definately not what I would describe as comfortable, but it can also fire 45 long colt. However the power this thing produces is pretty amazing.  It is definately a bad ass hand cannon though!http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e281/dpro48/f05d47a5.jpg
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
the 454 is a great hunting round. if you compare it to a 30.06 the most common deer rifle it doesnt seem so drastic
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:53:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I have fired max loads in a 5" .500 S&W mag and all I can say it ain't for everybody. As a matter of fact it convinced to never even consider buying one. Sure it is a hell of a gun to fire once or twice but I would never get my moneys worth out of a brute like that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 8:55:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Eck, heard of some people efficently dispatching hoggs with a Fiveseven. That seems like the more comfortable approach.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:24:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Watch this video.

retard
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#11]
I was at TSC one day to shoot my FAL a bit.

As I was driving down the road, I heard a humongus BOOOOOM!

, though to myself, "dayum, somebody has a reeaally big rifle out today"

,, unloading the car ,  BOOOOOM!

Turned out the guy had a 45-70 handgun

In bright daylight the thing had a muzzleflash the size of Texas.

, said he was taking it to AK to hunt bear.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#12]
.454 is quite fun to shoot. im 5'11" 148 lbs soaking wet and had a hell of a time zeroing in my fathers casull with a scope. i put 3 holes in a 1" circle at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:58:19 AM EDT
[#13]
the deal is this is a big heavy round that needs to be fired from a big heavy gun.
you can force it into a small gun but why?  so you can "take it"?  i am selling my scantium 44 for just this reason.  i like the 44 to pack but all i shot in it were specials.  so it will get traded in on a 45 acp that takes moon clips.  i guess i am out of the retina blowing guns.  that is till i get enough saved for the S&W 500  

just like a 300 winmag if you shoot it from a "mountain rifle" it beats you to death.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was at TSC one day to shoot my FAL a bit.

As I was driving down the road, I heard a humongus BOOOOOM!

, though to myself, "dayum, somebody has a reeaally big rifle out today"

,, unloading the car ,  BOOOOOM!

Turned out the guy had a 45-70 handgun

In bright daylight the thing had a muzzleflash the size of Texas.

, said he was taking it to AK to hunt bear.

Sounds like he had one of them Magnum Research BFR.   i don't know any other revolvers that shoot the 45-70, and if there are please correct me.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:08:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Magnum Research sounds about right.

Real impressive, but I don't think I could hold on to the thing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#16]
I wanted one for years and when I finally picked it up, I thought,  I sure don't want to be carrying this thing around all day in the woods. I've heard of  guys  shooting  an elk at a closer range.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 2:38:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Watch this video.

retard

haha!  good stuff!

yeah the .454 packs about as much muzzle energy as a 30/30 or .35 Rem
there's no mistaking the .454 at the range
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Whinnie 240 and 260 grainers are pretty easy shooting in my Ruger super Redhawk [7 1/2 BBL] When I load it up with Freedom Arms stuff [I have a BUNCH of the original stuff I got at a great price] the fun begins. [[no longer made BTW]] .]

Buffelo Bore makes a nice stiff load also.

I hunt whitetail with Whinnie Supreme 260 grain JHPs which are death rays as long as you put them in the boiler room. The exit hole is about the size of my fist. They tend to drop instantly or go about 20 feet, but they are dead on their feet when they do.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:03:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 7" SuperRedhawk chambered in 454 as well.  It is great to shoot 45Long Colt rounds out of.  They make such a sweet little pop he
Puma is making a lever action rifle to shoot the 454 out of.  A 240-265 grain bullet is soooo much easier than the 300.  Often with better energy at 50 yds as well.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got a Snub Nose Ruger Alaskan .454, most likely the same one you shot. Have yet to shoot it though, now you have me worried.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Just got a Snub Nose Ruger Alaskan .454, most likely the same one you shot. Have yet to shoot it though, now you have me worried.

I Googled the name for a pic, that's the one.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Mine.... .44mag that  I had snubbed.  I was going to get an Alaskan, but the sights on it suck....think original USGI 1911 sights.  Ended up cheaper to buy a full size SRH and have a good smith do the work and use a big millet dovetail  front sight anyhow.  I went .44 mag because I like to plink with it ALOT and ammo price/availability was also a consideration(I live in a small town).  I may get a .454 version later on and do the same thing.

Recoil is a hoot, and if there is any deficiency in your shooting style, you will find out quickly.  Depending on how/where your hand hurts you will be able to tell if you are jerking the trigger (blood blisters on trigger finger), torquing, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top