Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 8:54:25 AM EDT
Anybody grab a 70, or 2, or 3 since the announcment? (Win. is closing the New Haven Plant)  What kind of prices are you paying?  I just picked up a featherweight stainless in old school .243 for $700.00 and want to get a few more before demand exceeds supply.  Feel free to moan about the plant closing too, no more 70's, no more 94's, no more 1300's (my first pump)...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Winchester is nothing more than a product name. A trademark to be bought and sold. The model 1894 will be back. It's an American icon. It just won't be made in New Haven. As for the model 70 and 1300, I have my doubts. There's too many other choices for those types of firearms.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Winchester is nothing more than a product name. A trademark to be bought and sold. The model 1894 will be back. It's an American icon. It just won't be made in New Haven. As for the model 70 and 1300, I have my doubts. There's too many other choices for those types of firearms.

ouch, but the guy has a point.

I was going to pick up a 9422 when they came out with the 'tribute' model.  About a month later they announce the plant closing effective in just a couple of months.  The prices jumped 20% overnight.  I'm not going to pay six or seven hundred dollars for a 22!  
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

yep, a 700 is almost half the price of a 70, but it's just not as pretty as the Rifleman's Rifle... I won't miss the 1300, but I still have trouble swallowing the demise of the New Haven plant, especially after Winchester went back to the traditional controlled round feed and claw...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
There is a reason a product don't sell well.

Get the Rem 700 , they still make them and people still are buying them.

Crap don't sell. Good stuff does.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

hat
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 2:28:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

M70 is a much better rifle. Better trigger, better barrels, better safety. It just doesn't have the Geardo stamp of approval because of a lack of aftermarket stuff.

After market trigger (To fix the stock trigger)

Aftermarket barrels (So you can have a sub MOA rifle, Winchester ships with one of those)

Aftermarket Safeties (So that it works like the Winchester)

Aftermarket firing pin assemblies and shroud (to get rid of the J-lock)
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 8:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Nice informed post!
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 9:43:26 PM EDT
[#8]
"Crap doesn't sell" then how do you explain this.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 11:16:29 PM EDT
[#9]
My 70 was made in 1957 and has always been in the family! 243 Featherweight perfection in near mint condition!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top