Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 9:19:56 PM EDT
What kind of shotgun/rifle do you think would be a good starter for a woman - for target shooting and stuff...  What brand or model would be a good quality, but not too expensive?  And I'm only 5'2", so I was thinking of going into the kids department. lol!!  My point is, last time I went target shooting, my cousin's husband let me use his shotgun and I could handle it, and I did well, but it was kinda too big for me.  

Any advice is appreciated.... I have the day off tomorrow and was gonna go check out this gun shop in town...

Thanks!!!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Everyone should have a fun .22 so there's nothing wrong with a ruger 10/22. Very customizable and cheap to shoot. For long range an AR-15 20" bull barrel varmint set up. Look at Remington's 11-87 20 gauge. They also make an 1100 20 gauge in a youth model (1100 LT) that might fit you better. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Youth/Womens model Remington 20 gauge 870 shotgun.  The barrel is shorter and it should be fairly light.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Doesn't beretta make a shotgun with almost no kick.

There is an email floating around with a guy throwing up to 8 clay pigeons up and shooting all of them, from odd angles, before they hit the ground. He is the world record holder, but was advertising for the shotgun. I think it was the beretta, correct me if I'm wrong though. Maybe Bernelli or something like that if not, but defenately with a B.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 3:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
That's the Beretta Extrema2, which is a fine shotgun, but nothing wrong with the Remy 1100 LT 20 either.  If your looking for a bolt action rifle, I would suggest a Remington Model 7, 600 or 660, though the Model 7 is the only one currently produced, the other 2 are easily found on the secondary market.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Youth/Womens model Remington 20 gauge 870 shotgun.  The barrel is shorter and it should be fairly light.

+1......I would start her off with a pump instead of a semi-auto.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:33:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys!!!  Well, I'm off for the day... and since it's my birthday, I think a nice new rifle would be just the ticket for the perfect gift...  My boyfriend bought me a gorgeous David Yurman ring, but wants to get me something else.   I'm taking him along today with me!
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:08:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks guys!!!  Well, I'm off for the day... and since it's my birthday, I think a nice new rifle would be just the ticket for the perfect gift...  My boyfriend bought me a gorgeous David Yurman ring, but wants to get me something else.   I'm taking him along today with me!

Good for you....sounds like you've got a good man as well.

As for a rifle, and not a shotgun, this will come as no surprise, but the AR15 platform really can't be beat for your needs.

-Very light recoil.
-Highly customizable.
-Very accurate.
-Relitively light weight.
-Adjustable everything (total length, stock, optics...)
-An incredible assortment of aftermarket do-dad's to make a rifle that fits you like it was built for you.
-Can be built or bought for reasonable prices.
-As American as apple pie.
-Could very well be the most versitile rifle EVER made.
-Parts & ammo are everywhere.

One AR15 lower can be mated to so many different uppers that you can have a 24" tack driving target gun one minute and literally a 16" defense carbine the next minute....it's that easy. Bushmaster, Rock River, Armalite, Colt, DPMS, LMT (among MANY others) make good, solid products that would give you years of fun.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Mossberg makes a very good .20 gauge youth model where the pump action is actually closer to the receiver so the (shorter) shooter does not have to stretch to work the pump. Also, the stock is about an inch shorter.

I concur on the 10/22.

In fact, you could pick up both items at Wally World for under $500 total.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1

Rifle can be a M4 type AR, recoil is minimal & they're the most fun you can have with your clothes on.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Doesn't beretta make a shotgun with almost no kick.

There is an email floating around with a guy throwing up to 8 clay pigeons up and shooting all of them, from odd angles, before they hit the ground. He is the world record holder, but was advertising for the shotgun. I think it was the beretta, correct me if I'm wrong though. Maybe Bernelli or something like that if not, but defenately with a B.

Benelli Super Black Eagle. Runs about $1000 each.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I think jokers ideal of a 10/22 is right on, if not a 22 in general. Its cheap and gets the principals down. However, my wifle loves my Glock 23 over other handguns including a Walther TPH and various 9mm handguns.  I think the best thing to do is try a bunch of stuff and see what you like. Heck you may like shooting a big bore magnum, if it fits you well as opposed to the typical lesser firearms that are in the stereotypical first time female catagory.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:26:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I agee with most of these but AR15 is the best but what is cheap for you???
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top