Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 11:34:29 PM EDT
What kind of cleaning kits do you guys use on your hunting rifles? I have a .243 that probably has never had the bore cleaned. After whitetail season is over I will use Q-Tips and clean the chamber out as best I can but I never have anything to get into the bore. When I look into the bore I can barely see the rifling because of the shit built up in there. Nonetheless, it has always shot perfectly for me (except for when I fell climbing into the bed of a pick-up and knocked the scope about a foot off zero at 100 yards and also put a nice big dent in the scope).

Is there any kind of .243 cleaning kit out there for cleaning the bore out?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I just use a normal rifle cleaning kit(Outers .22 rifle cleaning kit), with the appropriate jag and bronze phonsfer brush - I also like to use a bore guide... In your case, I'd probably hit it real good with the brush and some Sweets, or Butch's Bore Shine, to remove jacketing material, then a regular bore cleaner like Bore Scrubber... Then, after patching that out, I'd leave a light coat of CLP in the bore/chamber, 'til the next time you go to shoot it - make sure to patch it dry before shooting... After reading your description of the bore's current condition, maybe it's had moly coated bullets shot in it???

The .243 is one of my favorite calibers - fast, accurate, and light recoiling - and is a true dual purpose cartridge...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:46:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I like the bore snake. There is no chance of over-working the crown this way.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Hope you change underwear more frequently than you clean your guns!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
is the stock wood...being in the woods can wreck havoc on wood stocks and you need to take care of that as wel depending on the finish...
if you can find brass brushes for the chamber and receiver area they won't scratch.  
Next year after you are done for the day, take five minues just to run some bore scrubber through the bore and chamber area to avoid possible pitting.  You can always do the thorough cleaning at home then.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Bore snake, wipe down what ya can and lightly oil it and you shouldn't ever have any problems.
Some rifles can go thousands of rounds with out a cleaning and still work great. a bolt action hunting rifle ought to be able to go many years without a serious cleaning and still be able to work fine.
BTW, I am assuming your rifle is like most other hunting rifles and only fires 20-40 rds a year tops.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:24:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Dewey rod, patcholder atttachement, bronze brush, bore guide, cloth to protect the stock...Hoppes #9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top