Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 3:48:39 PM EDT
Local shop has a used one on the rack, comes with a Muzzle device of some sort, and a cheesy "laser sight." Stock looked like it was broken, had been wrapped with electrical tape. I'm pretty sure it was the 9mm version. Anyway, I didn't have a chance to ask if it actually functioned, but I'm thinking I might go back for it tommorrow if it does. Price was $70 plus taxes plus $7.50 background fee. So all in all, I'm thinking about $85 or less for a 9mm Truck gun. Again, I figure it's pretty bad, but I keep it in there, don't worry about it/care about it, and if something happens to it I don't cry. Thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
If I remember right they have a lifetime warrenty. Just send return postage and they will repair it.
They look like a piece of junk but it's all my father inlaw talked about. I bought him one for fathers day two years ago.
I was totally shocked how well that gun shoots.At fifty yards we shot Bin Ladens face out of one of them paper targets going around. That's about a three inch group open sites.
We shot about five boxes thru it with no misfeeds.
For the money you can't beat it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd rather buy a .22 for $80 & get a helluva better gun.

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#4]
The Texas SWAT guys say that it's an uber room clearing death machine, so it must be cool.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#5]
My buddy had one it shot fine and would make a decent little truck gun. He cracked the stock on his, must be a weakness with them so remember no butt stroking your enemys.. The guy at work he sold it to broke the stock completely. My friend sent the stock in for him and got a new one free no return shipping charged and they sent 2 magazines for his trouble. I say buy it if it looks like the action and barrel are ok.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'm not really going to try to bet my life on one of these things. I had a Stallard Arms (later bought by Hi-Point) pistol that blew up in my hands... Thankfully everyone was fine (not a scratch at all), but I won't be doing that again. Anyway, I guess the main difference is in our definitions of "truck gun." In my mind, a truck gun is something to have for certain situations only. One of those would be coming up on a vehicle/animal accident where the deer/elk/etc isn't dead yet, but is obviously suffering and not getting better. Put it out of it's misery. I'm not really living in South Central LA, or any Third World nation that's undergoing a revolution, so I doubt I'd ever need to defend myself. Even if I did, I've got my CCW, and that will be a better choice in my mind. So, with this definition in mind, does that make more sense to think of this one as a possibility?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:50:08 PM EDT
[#9]

vehicle/animal accident where the deer/elk/etc isn't dead yet, but is obviously suffering and not getting better.

Would your CCW gun would work for this?

We have 22's in that price range but aren't as fun to shoot. For a all purpose blaster I think you can't beat it.
I have plenty of guns for the self defence use .
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:56:48 PM EDT
[#10]
If I lived there I would buy it for $80 in a heartbeat....They're ugly guns, but they work and have an unconditional lifetime warranty. Buy it and you'll have a cheap, fun plinker (which is all its good for). My buddy has one and its great fun to plink with
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:11:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that it's still there. The ironic thing is that I'm going shooting with some friends in the morning, or else I'd be there first thing. Oh well, I'll just have to see if my luck holds out. Thanks for the input all. And in answer to the question about my pistol serving the same purpose... in most cases it would, but my CCW isn't good in a bordering state, so if I ever cross the line, I can't carry.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:47:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Why would you go to a handgun if a long gun was to hand? Apart from the fact it was a Hi Point......

Simon
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:55:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe I'm a bit sheltered, but I've never heard of a gun shop charging for the background check.  That having been said, a friend of my Dad has one.  I was very much impressed by it.  If they honor their warranty, or you can get a new stock and change it yourself, I would jump on it.

-K
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:23:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Special-K

Please keep quiet about these fees.  The only reason we don't have one in NY is because the Republicrats don't know about them yet.  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:24:58 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If you're shooting soda cans and the carbine breaks, then the lifetime warranty is great, I suppose in other situations your next of kin could send the gun in for repair...

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:44:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, went ahead and bought it. Rifle, tax, paperwork, 100rnds of ammo and a used "tactical" case (for an AK) OTD for $112. I'd say that's pretty good, as long as Bubba didn't make this a "Full Auto" before I got it. Do you think They'll honor the Warranty since I'm not the original owner? Anyway, it came with 1 mag, the compensator, and the laser sight. All in all, I think it is a cheapy, but could be pretty fun. We'll have to see.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]
They will honor the warranty. Go ahead and send it to Hi-Point and thet'll probablly just send you a new one
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I would probably buy it since it has a lifetime warranty and fabricate a stock adapter for an AR-15 retractable stock.  

I see Hi Point owners at the range who are happy with their carbines.  Four years ago some gun dealers told me they would never sell Hi Point guns but last year at the range Hi point owners told me they were satisfied with their pistols and carbines which were made more recently.  They said that Hi Point improved their quality control.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
woot www.atigunstocks.com/product-hipoint.html

COOL! My fuglt HP wont be so ugly now
Maybe I'll keep it now.......
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:15:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the encouragement. That stock looks very similar to the lines of the Beretta Storm, I may keep it in mind. I actually just ran an Allen wrench on each one, and the end result is a much firmer feel. Right now the only part I can tell that's missing is the "Roller" on the outside of the charging handle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#22]
You know I've worked part time in the local gun shop since it opened 5 years ago. I've probably sold about 50 of the Hi-Point carbines. To this day I've never had one come back because it was not working! One thing that impressed me about Hi-Point is their policy toward police departments. If a small town or municipality needed a patrol carbine or 2 they went out of their way to provide them. I know in a few cases they just donated them rather than charging them! To me that says alot about the company. Even a armorers course is provided to them too! Ugly yes,
But like the old adage goes better any gun than no gun!
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Special-K

Please keep quiet about hese fees.  The only reason we don't have one in NY is because the Republicrats don't know about them yet.  

Yeah, good point.

-K
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#24]
BTW,  I own one.  Got it for grins and giggles.  It's so ugly it's beautiful.  Fun to shoot and easy to aim form the hip.  Accurate enough and always goes bang.  

To paraphrase an old song.  

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life,
get and ugly gun to save your life.  
So from my personal point of view,
get an ugly gun to take with you.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

LOL, you can make your Hi-point look just like a Beretta Storm!  but for the price, you can have a Hi-point in each hand!

Anyone know if they are making hicaps for the hi-point yet?

As for a working gun with a lifetime warranty for $80, that is a steal, even if it is uglier than a Glock!

As to the "charging separate for background checks" it was most likely taht the gun was on consignment, or he just happened to charge the fee spearate of the gun price.  You are ALWAYS paying for the background check fee, it s usually just buried in the price of the gun you are purchasing...

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:30:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Id pay about $50
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

WTF?

A CX4 isn't THAT expensive.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey Dawg, here in Utah I believe there is a state law requiring a background fee on any purchase, but most shops will waive the fee if you have a CCW. I unfortunately don't have a UT one, and my Washington won't cut it for them. Anyway, I still like my ugly little friend.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

LOL, you can make your Hi-point look just like a Beretta Storm!  but for the price, you can have a Hi-point in each hand!

Anyone know if they are making hicaps for the hi-point yet?

As for a working gun with a lifetime warranty for $80, that is a steal, even if it is uglier than a Glock!

As to the "charging separate for background checks" it was most likely taht the gun was on consignment, or he just happened to charge the fee spearate of the gun price.  You are ALWAYS paying for the background check fee, it s usually just buried in the price of the gun you are purchasing...

yeah they make extended 15 rd mags with spacers on them www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44624871
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I had one and it worked/functioned well but I didn't really like it and sold it.  

The one I had I purchased b/c it was NIB w/ 1000 rounds of 9mm ammo for $165.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#31]
A friend has a Hi-Point 9mm carbine, seems to be a nice plinker. I have shot it some and it does ok, good deal for the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top