Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2006 11:56:32 AM EDT
Why are all the new 5.56NATO weapons all using ar15 mags? I have never had a problem with mine its just that I have hear that these magazines are horrible and and are one of the mane sources of jamming in the m16  from some people and others say they are perfectly fine. I think what my real question is why are we sticking with them and if there are better magazines like the ak47 and G36 type magazines (if they are beater)?

This may be the wrong area to post if it is I apologize.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Lightweight, cheap to produce, good design and reliability with minimal care.

The only mags Ive ever had issues with are orlites. They seem to crack easy around the feed lips.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:08:28 PM EDT
[#2]
It's not the design as much as the low bid builder.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Plus, there are millions of them.

Cheap and easy to find are the major advantages of AR15 mags.

People would bitch if they had to buy different mags for:
SIG 556
FN FS200
AUG A3 (US stock)
Remington AR pump rifle
AR 180B
Kel tec SU 16
Beretta RX4
Daewoo
Crossfire pump rifle
etc......

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
2 words :

NATO STANAG's

Specifcially : NATO STANAG 4179
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:40:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a long comprehensive list I will post later tonight.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:45:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Plus, there are millions of them.

Cheap and easy to find are the major advantages of AR15 mags.

People would bitch if they had to buy different mags for:
SIG 556
FN FS200
AUG A3 (US stock)
Remington AR pump rifle
AR 180B
Kel tec SU 16
Beretta RX4
Daewoo
Crossfire pump rifle
etc......

I dont think so people have to buy diffrent mags for all the handguns they own
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Handguns are different.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:08:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Millions of inexpensive magazines. Also the mags are pretty good. Sure there are better ones but a good condition military spec mag is very reliable. If you add Magpul followers they are even better.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
That commonality of mags is super smart I think, not just that there so cheap but that the weapon systems can load up the same magazine of probably the most common rifle magazine in America and much of the world. It makes it all the more of a possibility of finding more mags in a pinch and many different people with such systems sharing ammo quickly if needed. The M16 magazine has been worked over and over too to become a really reliable magazine. Why have a different mag for each rifle when you can have common mags with those thoughts in mind if you can. Unless they were to make a new magazine that is so much better, the commonality is smarter for many different people and agencies across the world.
If it were to come down to it were it would matter, you'll be thankful that they do.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#10]
well thanks for the info I’ am convinced that they are good mags I still would like to see some new designs especially in the clear polymer area
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
well thanks for the info I’ am convinced that they are good mags I still would like to see some new designs especially in the clear polymer areahr

Yeah, an AUGmented AR mag...
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
It is a good idea to use AR mags incase there will ever be another AWB.

Remember how much Thompson drums, Calico, 10/22 50 Ramline, Glock 18, HK93, Steyr AUG, Beretta AR70, SIG 550 mags were going for two years ago??

AR mags were spendy other mags were $85 to $800

So if there is another gun ban SIG 556 and FN 2000 mags will still be around.

God forbid there is another ban.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:21:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It is a good idea to use AR mags incase there will ever be another AWB.

Remember how much Thompson drums, Calico, 10/22 50 Ramline, Glock 18, HK93, Steyr AUG, Beretta AR70, SIG 550 mags were going for two years ago??

AR mags were spendy other mags were $85 to $800hock.gif

So if there is another gun ban SIG 556 and FN 2000 mags will still be around.

God forbid there is another ban.

god forbid

It seems to me that all the gun regulations just keep getting worse. Exepet for the wonderful AWB sunsethe
Sorry to rant
Hear in Washington they are illegal and I would like to make an SBR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top