Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/27/2006 8:46:22 AM EDT
Someone told me about this last night, I hadn't heard anything about it previously, would someone educate me on the terms of this new law?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#1]
huh?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#2]
elaborate please
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link  Mid level bureaucracy at it's best.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#4]
"In reading the ATF's July 13 letter on the subject, in addition to the outrage at this "solution" to a non-existent problem, I have a couple of questions.

That letter begins by stating that Title 18 U.S.C. Section 925(d) provides standards for the importation of firearms and ammunition into the U.S., and that the AG will authorize a firearm to be imported if it meets three criteria: 1) it's not an NFA firearm; 2) it is generally recognized as suitable for sporting purposes; and 3) it is not a surplus military firearm.

It further references that in the past importers have obtained import permits authorizing the importation of receivers for non-importable firearms for repair or replacement.

Two questions: First, under what provision does authorization for importation of the many Kar98's, Swedish Mausers, Lee-Enfields, Mosin-Nagants etc. that are seen at gun shows fall under? Surely it's not Section 925(d), as in light of #3 above how could such guns not be considered "surplus military firearms?" If it is indeed the same section, will we soon see a new "change in import policy" that deems these guns non-importable?

Second, what is meant in the letter regarding "receivers" of "non-importable firearms" having been authorized in the past for importation for "repair or replacement" purposes? What on earth is that referring to? Can someone give an example? I was of the understanding that a receiver was a firearm, and that no receivers for non-importable firearms were ever allowed in. Can this be referring to a trunion, or receiver "stub?" Is that why some recent parts kits now contain no receiver parts whatsoever and why trunions must be torch cut through?

Talk about a gradual erosion of rights. This is unbelievable.

This is all so . . . Federal. I was reminded just the other day of the "Federal Effect" when I had to go to the Federal courthouse to make some copies of something filed there, and the lady behind the window had to have exact change for the copies. She could not even accept a few cents more than the exact amount. (I did not have any pennies with me.) The two suits "manning" the metal detector booth would not/could not make change. Apparently it's against policy. There was no one else in the place. So I had to go across the street to a coffee shop to make change, come back and pay. Then I had to identify myself "for their records. But what I got was public information . . . . But I digress. The point is, these F-ers come off as inhuman, humorless robots, matched only by the system. The next day I had a hearing in the rural Escambia County courthouse, people were nice, there were no metal detectors, and the magazines in the waiting room included "Turkey Hunting" and several other hunting magazines. It felt like "family." What a contrast. I notice a lot of people are experiencing similar "Federal Effects" in trying to simply get their transfers approved. I personally know a dealer in town who even has several Form 3's pending since November. Total incompetence on the other end of the line at HQ in Washington. Not even a hope of a quick resolution, and there is no accountability. Wonderful."
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#5]
So this basically means all imported guns??So basically no more imported aks, mausers, k31s, enfields, FALs, SKS,  or any other imported guns unless someone in the U.S. manufactures a new barrel for them?  And I never saw any sporting or hunting claus's in the second amendment, could someone give me a reference to them please?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Not "all imported guns", more like "because we feel like it", or "what part of  "because we say so" don't you get" or evan the ultimate in bureaucratical discussion making, "because the mighty Ouija  says so."  Really, they get to pick, thats all there is to it. To bad there is not a little face thing for blind submission to the overlord.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Congress has a deaf ear.....

All "gun rights" legislation has been locked in committee, not by liberal democrats but REPUBLICAN lawmakers.

I don't know what gives. Are they asking to lose the majority of seats in the next election?

If anybody out there has done there homework the "sporting" purposes wording come directly from the NAZI weapons law of 1938. This isn't just spouting off.

As a matter of fact: Senator Thomas J. Dodd requested the translation of the 1938 Nazi law on July 2,1968 from the library of Congress, and received it on July 12 of the same year. A side by side comparison will send chills up your spine.

Think about that for a moment.....We are under Nazi law right now! Hitler is laughing from his grave.

Don't believe it...  Look it up  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Congress has a deaf ear.....

All "gun rights" legislation has been locked in committee, not by liberal democrats but REPUBLICAN lawmakers.

I don't know what gives. Are they asking to lose the majority of seats in the next election?

If anybody out there has done there homework the "sporting" purposes wording come directly from the NAZI weapons law of 1938. This isn't just spouting off.

As a matter of fact: Senator Thomas J. Dodd requested the translation of the 1938 Nazi law on July 2,1968 from the library of Congress, and received it on July 12 of the same year. A side by side comparison will send chills up your spine.

Think about that for a moment.....We are under Nazi law right now! Hitler is laughing from his grave.

Don't believe it...  Look it up  

Daimler owns Crysler, the japanese car makers have Ford and GMC against the ropes......

The german term "assualt rifle" is on everybody lips.

Our military sidearm is an Italian design.

And I thought we won WWII?!?!?

The greatest generation spawned the worst generation, they're happily giving America away.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks for the feedback guys, however it is a little hard to understand.. Does anyone know exactly what is allowed to be imported and what can no longer be imported?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:47:27 PM EDT
[#11]
See, the problem is that almost no one knows what will be banned or not, or evan if somethings will be banned.  Forget legislating from the bench, this is legislating from the cubical..  Don't think of it as a ban, think of it as a place marker, so when someone decides that one thing or another can't come in, they can say "but we told you months ago!"  I have heard that there is a full list, but it's taped to the bottom of a locked file drawer, in a basement office of a building that is only open on alternate Tuesdays.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/112205openletter.pdf

link to the latest arbitrary finding
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:56:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Reading that makes me feel dirty.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
If you read the link provided by 1Gunner, the ATF has apparently backed off on it's earlier "no importation period" stance and is stating that as long as the parts can/could be assembled into an otherwise legal/importable firearm, they will be allowed to be imported...........
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:53:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I read it, and with my aversion to buracratical obstification, quite frankly, this gives me the hebe-gebees.  Yah. I agree it sounds like they have backed off, but I guess it's too much to ask for someone to just say "oops, our bad."  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top