Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 6:16:37 PM EDT
does anyone have some pics of the insides of a good can?  really currious on how the 22lr cans work?  does anyone have pics of the boughten can vs the homemade can?  which works better?  all pics would be cool!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#1]
10...foot...pole...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool thing about that pesky Fist Amendment, information, ideas and opinions are (in some cases shockingly) legal to freely exchange.  Suppressors are not that complicated,  A basic on can be seen here ,but I think you will find American builders are a little reticent to share their designs.  But they are THEIR designs, and the ability to freely share ideas can not be construed as a right to obligate someone to divulge trade secrets.  Ideas are great, it's when the cutter hits the metal that you get in trouble.  As far as the thing goes, the KKK used to say they could always tell who the undercover FBI agents were.  They were the ones telling everyone else to toss the bombs!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Tactical Innovations Tac-64, pretty common "K" baffle stack.  Baffles look like a "K" from a side profile.  Not the most efficient baffle for .22, as the K stack works better at higher pressures.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:21:33 AM EDT
[#4]
You can find some pics over at SilencerTests.com, plus a lot of other good information.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:24:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Lauer Custom Weaponry (Chippewa Falls, WI) isn't too far from anypoint in MN.  take a road trip and go check out their suppressors.  they are supposed to make a pretty decent .22 version.  they have a pretty cool shop if you have BRD.  makes you realize how crappy it is that MN is one of only a few states that don't allow suppressors.  while you're there go on the Leinie's Brewery tour.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#6]
i seen the pic of someone with a pop bottle?  can that be as quite as a boughten can?  i'd still like to see the insides of the real deal!  yea the mn laws are not good at all.  i would say someone that does get the can leagally would be a law abiding person?  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ummm... if you own a gun, and you do that, and you get caught, you'll never vote again, never own a gun again, and you'll likely spend a long time in prison.

Unless of course you're 21, aren't a felon yet, and you pay your $200 tax on that pop bottle.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
what is boughten?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
I remember in the very early 80's seeing a barrel bushing for a 1911 that was threaded to except pop bottles. This was at a gun show in Mesa Az., and before the ATF ruled that it was part of a silencer, and therefore regulated.  I often wonder how many people sprung for the $25.00 and have one of those sitting in a drawer somewhere!  Might it bite them some day?

I miss Ronnie!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
yea i've seen those that go on the 45's also!  no way that could quiet down a 45, could it?  you would think one shot then the bottle would blow up or the end would be gone!  also if sounds dangerous.  the pop bottle sounds like someones murder weapon to me.  not into that!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#11]
KEVIN:
   a number of people here have tried to politely tell you that you are being a troll.  you are asking questions on how to potentially do something illegal.  knock it off, and/or go somewhere else.  silencers of any kind are illegal in your state.  if you want to see what they look like inside i suggest moving to a state that they are legal in, and buy one (the legal way).    
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
KEVIN:
   a number of people here have tried to politely tell you that you are being a troll.  you are asking questions on how to potentially do something illegal.  knock it off, and/or go somewhere else.  silencers of any kind are illegal in your state.  if you want to see what they look like inside i suggest moving to a state that they are legal in, and buy one (the legal way).    

+1
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#13]
He can legally build a can by himself if they are allowed in his state.

He needs to send off his Form 1 and have it approved before he starts construction. But he can start doing research on how to do it now, even draw up plans. I wouldn't buy the parts yet.

But if I were him I would buy one. The commercial made cans perform better than anything you make at home. The homebrew designs I have seen use old technology. They use steel mesh wipes and washerss around a ported barrel extension. The new designs use solid baffels.

It is very illegal to start building on this thing before you get your ATF form 1 approved. And you will have to have the body of the can engraved to the same specs as if you are building an Short Barreled Rifle. There is an ATF circular that tells you what to have engraved on it and how large and deep.

As stated above it is not illegal to build a silencer if you have an approved form 1 and follow the laws of your state. MN may not allow silencers, I don't know. It would be a neat project if you had your own machine shop. But you would save money by buying a ready made one.

edited to add

Looks like on of your fellow MN residents said it was not legal to have a can in MN so it looks like you are shit out of luck. You need to move a free state.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
KEVIN:

+1

+2 This is going to get interesting...

IBTL

*Popcorn*

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#15]
This thing, I admit to being kind of new here, but I get the feeling (and I mean ABSOLUTELY no offense KEVINS800) that what you are talking about is a little more then (and this is the no offense part) some clueless dork looking to do something they shouldn't because of location, age or general skill level.  Is the implication that s are LOOKING to get "one of us" to advise or recommend illegal activity?  Dorks are great, we all start there.  But that other thing is like the FBI agents that use to infiltrate organizations and then tell everyone else to toss the bombs.  Not cool man, not cool at all.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:00:23 PM EDT
[#16]
SORRY!!!!   new to this forum, i thought that if you can quiet a  pistol with a pop bottle, then why spend the money on such an expensive item as a custom made can?  seems to me that someone is getting ripped off?  and someone is making good money off a bunch of no brainers?  this is why i'm wondering what is so special about the boughten can?  i'm a mechanic and love to see how things work. being in mn,  i have no way of ever purchasing or building this item!  i'm a law abiding person so if you think i'm not>  too bad!  sorry for the curriousity!  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
SORRY!!!!   new to this forum, i thought that if you can quiet a  pistol with a pop bottle, then why spend the money on such an expensive item as a custom made can?  seems to me that someone is getting ripped off?  and someone is making good money off a bunch of no brainers?  this is why i'm wondering what is so special about the boughten can?  i'm a mechanic and love to see how things work. being in mn,  i have no way of ever purchasing or building this item!  i'm a law abiding person so if you think i'm not>  too bad!  sorry for the curriousity!  

I know how you feel about building a can by yourself. I rather pay for a good can by Gemtech or AAC and pay another $200.00 plus some waiting time to get it legally approve to own a can.

I think nobody ripping anybody off here in this bussiness. It's just how much you want to spend and how much can you afford and I mean legally afford. You can get an UZI from the gray market for $800.00 while the transferable Vector UZI will go for around $7000.00, but which one do you prefer?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Kevin, I am NOT saying that that is what you are doing!  I'm only asking if that is what s do.  I think, and read my first post again, that you have every right to ask about any information that you want!  I just want to know why s generate so much animosity.  IMO, you buy a can for the quality, repeatability, etc.  There was a post in the (I think) Class 3 section of the Armory that detailed the steps someone that lived in a freedom friendly state went through to build a suppressor.  It not only covered design, but also ATF correspondence.  It's over 30 days old, so it's in the archive now.  Yeh, I know if I pop for $20.00 I can get it now.  Maybe next week.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#19]
yea, i hear that .  i just think that people should not accuse!  i can buy a book on making one for less then 10 bucks?   all i want is everyones opinion on the makings of the cans!   thanks for the posts
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
yea, i hear that .  i just think that people should not accuse!  i can buy a book on making one for less then 10 bucks?   all i want is everyones opinion on the makings of the cans!   thanks for the posts

Know much about the ATF?
They aren't nice people.
They look for oppurtunities to fuck law abiding gun owners in the ass over technicalities.
What you call "a theoretical discussion" the ATF calls "conspiracy"
So if people are giving you the cold shoulder, it is because you are asking questions that make them nervous.
Here is a suggestion.
Write out your question in a clear and concise manner.
Here is an example:

I have heard that pop bottles can quiet a gunshot. Is this true? If so, does the ATF consider them silencers and thus regulate them?

We will be more than happy to answer it then.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#21]
You mean like this?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#22]
HEY thanks doc, you have a good point!  too bad this is how our government works?  Many of us that don;t break the law are getting punished for the things criminals do and the things that our government thinks we are doing!  too bad this is not a free country anymore.  

nice letter vinneboombah!  how long did it take for the government to send you a response?  

thanks again,
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Thats not mine.  It came from Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top