Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 11:46:26 AM EDT
Since I can't buy AR's anymore here in Cal much less anything else I was in my local gun shop and saw one of these.  He told me it takes AR mags, I was wondering if it was worth a shit or not.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one last year to test it out.  Mine was the Kel-Tec SU-16A.  As a test I also got a case of Wolf 62 grain FMJ.  I shot the whloe case off it three visits to the range without a single problem.  These are reasonably accurate rifles but as the barrel gets hot groups start ot open up.  The shorter version barrels are a bit thicker and more consistant.  

I did not have problems with any mags.  The plastic mags that come with it  have given some people trouble, but if you ave problems with them Ke-Tec will replace them without any hassles.  My mags that came with the rifle have worked fine.  The Kel-Tec mags will not work in any other rifle but any Ar mag will work fin in theirs.  They have great customer service.  

Once you learn how to disassemble it it cleans up easy, and the bolt stays clean as it uses an op-rod instead of gasses to cycle the action.  Being able to carry the two included ten round mags or one 20 o 30 round mag in the stock is handy.  They fold up into a nice compact package that makes it easy to keep them out of site.  

It's no AR or Mini-14, but they work as advertized.  One one of the sites dedicated to these rifes, one guy did a heck of a torture test in the middle of winter at his range.  He shot a couple hundred reounds to really heat up the barrel and then broke through some ice and threw the rifle into the water to cool it off.  Retrieved it, drained the water from the barrel and kept on going.  Rifle maintained it's point of aim and onl problem he had with it was a defective casing not ejecting properly.  

Sometimes I put a T168 scope on mine for fun.  Works fine.  I also got the adjustable rear sights from Kel-Tec.  These are standard on some of their models, but mine is one of their early models.  I used to be a Q.A. Engineer and these litlle rifles always intrigued me so I got one to put it through it's paces and it has performed fine.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I got one last year to test it out.  Mine was the Kel-Tec SU-16A.  As a test I also got a case of Wolf 62 grain FMJ.  I shot the whloe case off it three visits to the range without a single problem.  These are reasonably accurate rifles but as the barrel gets hot groups start ot open up.  The shorter version barrels are a bit thicker and more consistant.  

I did not have problems with any mags.  The plastic mags that come with it  have given some people trouble, but if you ave problems with them Ke-Tec will replace them without any hassles.  My mags that came with the rifle have worked fine.  The Kel-Tec mags will not work in any other rifle but any Ar mag will work fin in theirs.  They have great customer service.  

Once you learn how to disassemble it it cleans up easy, and the bolt stays clean as it uses an op-rod instead of gasses to cycle the action.  Being able to carry the two included ten round mags or one 20 o 30 round mag in the stock is handy.  They fold up into a nice compact package that makes it easy to keep them out of site.  

It's no AR or Mini-14, but they work as advertized.  One one of the sites dedicated to these rifes, one guy did a heck of a torture test in the middle of winter at his range.  He shot a couple hundred reounds to really heat up the barrel and then broke through some ice and threw the rifle into the water to cool it off.  Retrieved it, drained the water from the barrel and kept on going.  Rifle maintained it's point of aim and onl problem he had with it was a defective casing not ejecting properly.  

Sometimes I put a T168 scope on mine for fun.  Works fine.  I also got the adjustable rear sights from Kel-Tec.  These are standard on some of their models, but mine is one of their early models.  I used to be a Q.A. Engineer and these litlle rifles always intrigued me so I got one to put it through it's paces and it has performed fine.  

I think I have a video of that torture test; if anyone wants to see it I'd be happy to upload it.

I also have a question about the SU-16 series. They all have folding stocks, correct? Wouldn't that define them as assault rifles according to California's SB23, thus making them illegal? I'm a bit confused about what makes them legal to own.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think I have a video of that torture test; if anyone wants to see it I'd be happy to upload it.

I also have a question about the SU-16 series. They all have folding stocks, correct? Wouldn't that define them as assault rifles according to California's SB23, thus making them illegal? I'm a bit confused about what makes them legal to own.

Id like to see the vid
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Firing 3-round burst
More 3-round bursts and the water test

Please right-click and save as! Don't repeatedly stream from the website and use a ton of bandwidth.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#5]
These folding stocks are not illegal because of the way they fold.  There is also CA model designed to be legal in California.  My stock is the regulat model and it folds under the rifle.   The whole stock folds under and you cannot shoot the rifle as the firing pin assembly folds with the stock.    The stock pivots at the bottom of the mag well.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Firing 3-round burst
More 3-round bursts and the water test

Please right-click and save as! Don't repeatedly stream from the website and use a ton of bandwidth.

Thanks for the vids.

I'm looking to buying another self-loader. I really want an FN49 or Hakim but I just can't plain find any for a good price. Still looking... in the meantime, newly manufactured guns are option.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I think TheBeerSlayer had one of these blow up on him not too long ago.

Balming
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
No, that was their .223 pistol.

www.kel-tec.com/plr16pr.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top