Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 9:51:26 AM EDT
So I bought one of those packages at the gun store, a Savage FP10 with scope inculded, boresighted by the factory.  I go to the range, and set up a target at 50 yards.  I look through the barrel and then through the scope, they seemed to be aligned.  But when I fire three shots, the hits are all over the target, seperated by at least 10 inches in same cases.  I pull the target to 25 yards, same thing.  The shots are going all over the place, and are not consistent.  While I am not the best shot in the world, I am not that bad.  I also had a 1903 Springfield with me, and I was getting a good percentage of hits at 300 yards on a metal plate with it.

I checked the scope, it seemed to be in the rings straight, and not loose.  I am not sure what the problem is.  Can anybody give me advice on things I need to check for?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Check your action screws and make sure they are torqued to 65.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Action screws?  The screws that hold the scope in the rings?  or the screws that adjust point of aim?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Action screws?  The screws that hold the scope in the rings?  or the screws that adjust point of aim?

the screws that hold the gun to the stock
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Ah, I see.  
Thanks, I will have to check that.
I am mostly a semi-auto guy, got a lot of trigger time behind the AR-15 and AK series, I am pretty new to the scoped rifle world.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheap injection molded stock will touch the barrel differently each time you fire and that can throw shots off.

Also check tightness of mount screws to the receiver.

If not the above, then it is probably a bad scope. The chinese scopes included in the package deals are not quality. I've seen some chinese scopes that would rattle when you shake them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#6]
STOCKS (action screws)
Wood, Laminated & Aftermarket Synthetic = 45 – 65 in/lbs
Factory Synthetic = 25-26 in/lbs

Remember IN/LBS!!! Have seen people go to 65 FT/LBS!!!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
and no offense, but the scope that come with the rifle from the factory aren't really that good.. think of them as 'contractor grade' . they don't hold a zero for long. Tasco or Simmons?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree with Raf - if it has irons, take off the scope and shoot it with the irons - you oughta have them sighted in, anyways... THEN, make sure your scope mounts are solid, and throw out the cheap scope that came with the rifle - at a minimum, I'd go with a Prostaff from Nikon, or a VX1 from Leupold - you should be able to get something like that for under $200, and atleast have a halfway decent, reliable scope on your rifle...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:33:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
and no offense, but the scope that come with the rifle from the factory aren't really that good.. think of them as 'contractor grade' . they don't hold a zero for long. Tasco or Simmons?

It's the Simmons
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:34:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I agree with Raf - if it has irons, take off the scope and shoot it with the irons - you oughta have them sighted in, anyways... THEN, make sure your scope mounts are solid, and throw out the cheap scope that came with the rifle - at a minimum, I'd go with a Prostaff from Nikon, or a VX1 from Leupold - you should be able to get something like that for under $200, and atleast have a halfway decent, reliable scope on your rifle...

- georgestrings

No iron sights.

I just got a Super Sniper 10x42.  I am waiting on a new set of rings before I can mount it.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the Simmons

do this...

go get an alan key that fits them scope mount screws and ring screws,,now tighten.

that simmons 8 pointthey have has electrical tape under it. whats happeningis during recoil its moving. so you need to really  tighten it down,, How much ? fuck if i know,, just tight.

i have a  savage package like that in 300wsm,,, its held zero from day one when i had to tighten it down also!

shitty pic,,but thats 100yrds   with factory ammo and NO rest,,just sitting in a chair off hand..

the savage rifles are very  accurate right outta the box,,even with the crappy scopes!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top